www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Washin' Dishes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncdodave

PostPosted: Saturday 8-23-2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 3 tub method when the health dept requires for public gatherings. But I usually just wipe out my ovens of all the loose food bits( while still hot) spray with a 4 to 1 water cider vinegar solution and keep cooking onto the next dish. The health dept isnt looking over my shoulder all day as i cook they have more inspections and the hot temperature with a steam bath will rid cast iron of 98% of the bad microbes we dont want to pass on.

Last edited by ncdodave on Saturday 8-23-2008 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charlee Turner

PostPosted: Saturday 8-23-2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys...those were the answers I was looking for! :Smile 1:
sushidog

PostPosted: Sunday 8-24-2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as eating plates, bowls and cups, I use disposable paper, plastic and Styrofoam whenever I can in the field. This helps me keep a clean, critter-free campsite. Besides, as a professional chef, I try to keep my dish washing to a minimum on vacation - that's what I'm trying to get away from. Wink

As far as cleaning non-disposable cooking and eating utensils, I (or DW) wash with Dawn anti-bacterial soap and hot water in my Aliner's sink. I like the green scrub pads over sponges or steel wool.

I haven't used a DO yet. The only cast iron I permit myself the luxury of using in camp is a wok, which I clean while hot with clear water and a bamboo brush inside before re-oiling. I de-soot with newspaper or a paper towel outside.

I'm right at the maximum load capacity towing my camper with a little 4 cyl car. I try to keep the weight down as much as possible, and iron is heavy. I look at it this way, I'd rather load an extra 20 lbs. of food than 20 lbs. of cast iron.

When cooking on a campfire, I usually grill on a grate or roast over a spit. Sometimes I'll bury an aluminum foil chicken and veggie packet in the coals. I like to use the disposable, perforated aluminum trays on the grate to grill veggies, seafood and the like. The fire burns the grate clean, and I wire brush it fore and aft for good measure. I never burn any trash or food waste, but instead bag it and dispose of it immediately after each meal.

Rainy Cloud If it's raining, I use a Teflon skillet or a rice pot on the propane stove in the camper. Again l wipe them clean with a paper towel and briefly wash them with Dawn in the sink.
jimqpublic

PostPosted: Tuesday 8-2-2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's an old thread... but Joanne's setup is just about perfect:
Joanne wrote:
...And on the right is the three sink dishwashing station.

I recently modified the dishwashing station so it has one more pan under the other three. We fill that one up with hot water and bleach for our sanitary wipe down rags. The stand breaks down for easy transportation.

Joanne

Joanne,

I just got back from a Cub Scout campout and decided to modify my system. I have been using 4 tubs on a table- Dirty, Wash, Rinse, Drain. I'm going to add a sanitize tub per Girl Scout protocol. So my dishwashing station will now be 5 tubs wide.

What size PVC did you use? Was the design per the Wildash "GSPiglet" website?

I was thinking 1" PVC for the top section with short legs just slightly longer than the tubs, all glued. That way I can set it on a table if available but it would pack away easily. Normally though I would slip 1-1/4" legs over the short stubs. 1" pipe outside diameter is 1.315", 1-1/4" schedule 40 inside diameter is 1.380" so it should work well. The legs would still need some sort of cross bracing. Because of the extreme width, I am thinking have the legs mounted at the junctions between bins 1/2 and 4/5.

Comments? PVC pipe is cheap but the fittings sure add up!
Wishbone

PostPosted: Tuesday 8-2-2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying a New way to clean everything up. Its called "The 3 Spray Bottle Method" First bottle I put a couple drops of Dawn & a couple drops Bleach. Wash everything with First Bottle of soap. Wipe Clean with a Paper Towel. And use 2nd Spray Bottle is filled with Clean Water for Rinsing. Wipe Dry. 3rd Spray Bottle "Everclear" whiskey for disinfect. I Use all 3 a Lot, less Water When You dont have access to a lot of Water. I use this in My travel trailer since I took out OLD Stinky Fresh Water Tank. 98% of the Time Its just Me & Wife. I would use 3 pan or garbage pails for Group cooking. Cant wait till Fall. I go Camping every other weekend till Nov. We go to all K-State Football Games, since our Son is in the K-State Marching Band. His second year. Wishbone-Ks.
bobhenry

PostPosted: Wednesday 8-3-2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you all went and done it again. I am gonna have to modify a clip on top for my fold down walker dutch oven table and make a plywood top for drop in dish tubs.

For electric sites I still love my 32 cup coffee maker for hot water delivery right out of the spout.
bobhenry

PostPosted: Wednesday 8-3-2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimqpublic wrote:
I know it's an old thread... but Joanne's setup is just about perfect:
Joanne wrote:
...And on the right is the three sink dishwashing station.

I recently modified the dishwashing station so it has one more pan under the other three. We fill that one up with hot water and bleach for our sanitary wipe down rags. The stand breaks down for easy transportation.

Joanne

If you want to beef up the performance and take out the wiggle factor but keep the material small a tip......

1/2 EMT conduit will just slip into schedule 40 3/4 " pvc This combination make a very ridgid form without the added size and witout adding a great deal of weight. Just reinforce the longer straight runs and leave key pvc joints unglued for easy knock down.

Joanne,

I just got back from a Cub Scout campout and decided to modify my system. I have been using 4 tubs on a table- Dirty, Wash, Rinse, Drain. I'm going to add a sanitize tub per Girl Scout protocol. So my dishwashing station will now be 5 tubs wide.

What size PVC did you use? Was the design per the Wildash "GSPiglet" website?

I was thinking 1" PVC for the top section with short legs just slightly longer than the tubs, all glued. That way I can set it on a table if available but it would pack away easily. Normally though I would slip 1-1/4" legs over the short stubs. 1" pipe outside diameter is 1.315", 1-1/4" schedule 40 inside diameter is 1.380" so it should work well. The legs would still need some sort of cross bracing. Because of the extreme width, I am thinking have the legs mounted at the junctions between bins 1/2 and 4/5.

Comments? PVC pipe is cheap but the fittings sure add up!

Last edited by bobhenry on Thursday 8-4-2011 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
jimqpublic

PostPosted: Wednesday 8-3-2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob:

You're the man! A little research and calc's from Engineering Toolbox dot com:
1/2" steel EMT is more than 5x as stiff as 1" Schedule 40 ABS, which is 3x as stiff as 3/4" Schedule 40 ABS.

Pairing the two will be cheaper, stiffer, easier to source, and more compact to transport compared to 1" PVC. I have bags of 3/4" fittings at home from sprinkler work. Only drawback is less joint strength (using 3/4" instead of 1" fittings)

Another advantage is I was worried about keeping straight an assembly of 6 fittings and 5 pieces of pipe (for a 5 bin rack). Using the EMT as an assembly mandrel will keep this nice and straight. Good deal for 0.3 pounds per foot.
bobhenry

PostPosted: Thursday 8-4-2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I knew was , I was looking to make a telescopic pole for my red neck antenna. I have to oil the emt to get it to slide freely into the pvc it is that snug of a fit.

I think there is a synergistic benefit to this combo the only way emt can fail is to bend which flattens the pipe the pvc acts as a girdle and will not allow it to distort so I suspect the combined strength to be far greater than the sum of each. So using your facts and giving 3/4 pvc a strength factor of 1 and the 1" a factor of 3 and the emt a factor of 5 you would think that the combined strength of the emt / 3/4 pvc would be 6 which is exactly twice as strong as the 1" pvc , I am betting it is even stronger when combined. We need a testing engineer to experiment on this combo!!
bobhenry

PostPosted: Thursday 8-4-2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimqpublic wrote:
. Only drawback is less joint strength (using 3/4" instead of 1" fittings)

There is a way around that........

Use schedule 80 fittings with the reinforced thin wall schedule 40 pipe. The outside diameter of the 40 and 80 pipe is exactly the same at 1.050 inches. The inside diameter of the schedule 80 pipe is smaller because of the thicker wall.
cliffmeister2000
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thursday 8-4-2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobhenry wrote:
jimqpublic wrote:
. Only drawback is less joint strength (using 3/4" instead of 1" fittings)

There is a way around that........

Use schedule 80 fittings with the reinforced thin wall schedule 40 pipe. The outside diameter of the 40 and 80 pipe is exactly the same at 1.050 inches. The inside diameter of the schedule 80 pipe is smaller because of the thicker wall.

I'm guessing, if you are not gluing the joints, this will not be an issue. A ratcheting strap around the middle would keep it from popping apart.

Cliff

God, People
1John 4:9-11
bobhenry

PostPosted: Thursday 8-4-2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not glue portions of it .....

If you glue all the horizontal runs and leave the vertical ones for breakdown, gravity will handle the job of keeping it all together without the straps. You will find the fit is tight just pushed together.
ScouterMom

PostPosted: Thursday 8-4-2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the PVC stand - being a lifetime Scout, I've always used the 3 pan system - ours always called for bleach in the LAST tub - it evaporates quickly and I've never noticed a bleach flavor to any food. In any case, a tiny bit of bleach water won't hurt you.

I keep bleach tablets in my camping equipment - they don't weigh as much, there's no danger of spills or leaks, and they are very lightweight. On canoe trips we just put a couple in a ziploc baggie. One tablet will do a full load of clothes - so I use a medicine pill cutter and cut them in 1/4's. (added - you can find these bleach tablets in the laundry aisle at WalMart -. they are especially great for camping as they don't evaporate, leak, spill and esp. for use around kids, less risk of bleaching their clothes in pure form)

you can also sometimes find powdered bleach, but I haven't seen any in the stores for quite a long time.

When we were kids at Girl Scout camp - we used to wash our dishes/ mess kits, and then we would rinse them in HOT mild bleachwater. To keep from burning our hands we put our dishes in a net laundry bag. The whole bag was dipped in the hot bleach rinse and then hung up on a line by it's strings. Kept your dishes together, they air dried and the net bag kept leaves and bugs off of them.

I have some hanging net storage shelves/bags I use in the camper by each bunk, and use one outside, hung in the open air - to use as a dish dryer. they fold flat, can be washed in the washing machine on a gentle cycle, and make great 'dryers' for my plastic dishware and silverware!

mine are similar to the ones in the center - with the round openings. Keeps things from falling out easily. One of mine was 7 or 8 compartments long - so I cut it off, and made 2 shorter ones out of it.

they are especially handy inside the camper, too - a safe place to put your glasses, flashlight, novel, notebook, pen - etc near your bed. Light enough they could be hung from a sturdy tent pole, too.

Last edited by ScouterMom on Wednesday 6-6-2012 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
jimqpublic

PostPosted: Thursday 8-4-2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 10 year old Girl Scout and I built the stand this evening. It is huge at about 5-1/2 feet wide to fit five 17 quart tubs. That way I can have a dirty tub, wash, rinse, sanitize, and clean. I used 3/4" schedule 40 (couldn't find schedule 80 fittings as suggested above). Inside each long top piece is a 1/2" steel EMT for strength and rigidity per Bob Henry's suggestion.

The top is all glued, as is a middle stiffener assembly. Connection between top and middle is press-fit. Inside the legs I'm trying out using EMT as well. I got some clamps that will allow me to adjust the height individually for uneven ground.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! We leave in a week for a three-week camping trip which ends up at a big group campout. Since my popup trailer has hot and cold running water with an outside faucet, we have the designated dishwashing station for about 30 people. This setup will make it a lot more efficient.
bobhenry

PostPosted: Friday 8-5-2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we will need a test run report upon your return ! Gold Tooth Smile: Gold Tooth Smile:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: