www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

grinding tops to fit bottoms?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pothead

PostPosted: Saturday 1-6-2018 8:25 am    Post subject: grinding tops to fit bottoms? Reply with quote

I got 3-4 camp ovens with a slight wobble between the lid and the pot.
Somebody on FB mentioned hand lapping to get them to fit, but youtubing "lap grinding" gets all sorts of videos that are not what I had in mind....

I did find this short thread on the topic here:
http://camp-cook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6397

Does anybody have more info on the process???
DG TX

PostPosted: Saturday 1-6-2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BE SURE-To FIRST determine if the LID or the OVEN lip is uneven. Remember, you can take away but you can't put it back Thinking
Pothead

PostPosted: Sunday 1-7-2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG TX wrote:
BE SURE-To FIRST determine if the LID or the OVEN lip is uneven. Remember, you can take away but you can't put it back Thinking

My understanding of the lapping process is you put a grinding compound on the mating surface and spin the lid to grind both the top and bottom to fit each other... but that's why I'm asking.
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sunday 1-7-2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pothead wrote:
DG TX wrote:

My understanding of the lapping process is you put a grinding compound on the mating surface and spin the lid to grind both the top and bottom to fit each other... but that's why I'm asking.

I've never tried it myself, but that lapping technique is the one I have heard of people doing. Some folks put a metal hook in a drill chuck to spin the lid.

Joanne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: