www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Steamed Shrimp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DumOleBob

PostPosted: Saturday 12-30-2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Steamed Shrimp Reply with quote

Tomorrow I have to stream five pounds of shrimp in my 12 Dutch oven. Never done this before so any tips will be surely appreciated.

Dont have a "steamer" basket (how can I make one?). Im thinking I need to use a trivet, which has lots of space between the wires, which Ill cover, with some onions to keep the little buggers from falling into the boil. Then lots of Old Bay seasoning.

I know this is a very basic thing, but Im a newbie to all forms of cookin'...

Thanks and Happy New year!
J2

PostPosted: Monday 1-1-2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

I just saw your post.
How did you make out?
I usually steam using my colander.
Let us know what you used.

Joanne (J2)
DumOleBob

PostPosted: Tuesday 1-2-2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up using a trivet covered with course cut onions to keep the shrimp out of the liquid. It worked ok, but a pain dipping out the shrimp. Plus I could only get a tad over two pounds in the 12 regular Lodge. Id like to do some more steaming, but a deep oven would sure be nice.

I bet there are several cleaver folks in the group that have found really unique ways of steaming in their Dutch ovens and Id sure love to know how Thumbs Up

Thsnks Thumbs Up
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Friday 1-5-2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DumOleBob wrote:
Ended up using a trivet covered with course cut onions to keep the shrimp out of the liquid. It worked ok, but a pain dipping out the shrimp. Plus I could only get a tad over two pounds in the 12 regular Lodge. Id like to do some more steaming, but a deep oven would sure be nice.

I bet there are several cleaver folks in the group that have found really unique ways of steaming in their Dutch ovens and Id sure love to know how Thumbs Up

Thsnks Thumbs Up

I don't have an answer to how to steam shrimp, but I'll bet that they tasted great! When I was young my father would bring shrimp back from Mexico when he went down there with friends. We would wrap them in foil with a stick of butter, then put them in the oven. Happy memories.

Joanne
DG TX

PostPosted: Friday 1-5-2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure and put out some ketchup with some red tabasco added in for dippin them suckers in always goes over BIG Thumbs Up down here.
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sunday 1-7-2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG TX wrote:
Be sure and put out some ketchup with some red tabasco added in for dippin them suckers in always goes over BIG Thumbs Up down here.

I think we used ketchup with horse radish. Never tried it with tabasco. I'll have to mix some up to see how I like it. Thumbs Up

Joanne
wolfy

PostPosted: Saturday 1-13-2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunt's ketchup (less sweet than Heinz), ground horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice....MAYBE a few drops of Tabasco, but I like my 'bite' to come from the horseradish in shrimp-dippin' sauce. It's ketchup-based, but the rest is all adjustable to taste and personal preference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: