www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Newbie question on maintaining heat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinBedford

PostPosted: Monday 8-28-2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Newbie question on maintaining heat Reply with quote

Recently had a couple of meals cooked by family in the US whilst on vacation cooked on a Dutch oven and loved the food it produced so been ordering recipe books and have 12 inch DO on order for when I land back in the UK in a couple of days. However what the books ive got and the FAQs on this site don't mention is the best practice on preparing additional coals for extended cook times?

I have small chimney starter that I will use for the initial briquette heat and loading but not sure if I can just rest extra unlit briquettes against the previous cooling ones on lid and under DO at about 30-40 minute mark of a cook assuming original coals will last 45-60 mins and remove cooling coals as new ones come up to heat? Or do people normally keep back few coals in chimney starter and just pop extras on top of that prior to them being needed? I didn't really pay attention to that stage of the cook when I was seeing someone using the DO.

Appreciate advice of seasoned DO cooks
J2

PostPosted: Tuesday 8-29-2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome JustinBedford

Starting one chimney of coals, then replacing with un-lit coals next to a hot coal is exactly what I do.

Works very well for me, but I have to make sure they each get lit. You can't walk away from the oven right away after they are placed,

Joanne (J2)
jimlj

PostPosted: Tuesday 8-29-2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both ways you mention. I have just recently started placing unlit coals against the lit ones and have not got the method perfected yet, but I have found it works and with more practice I believe I will abandon lighting a second chimney. I have started putting an unlit coal about every fourth coal under the oven and on the lid. As it lights I just crowd the new coal into the ring without removing the smaller lit ones and it seems to cook fairly good.
Brownie

PostPosted: Wednesday 8-30-2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this suggestion of replacing coals at about 30-40 minutes individually. I would usually start a second chimney, this method I like much better :-)
JustinBedford

PostPosted: Wednesday 8-30-2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your responses. Will try the resting unlit coals method as was looking for ways to avoid having to light a second chimney of coals
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: