www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Thanksgiving Turkey - Dutch Oven Style

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gibguy

PostPosted: Thursday 11-24-2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Thanksgiving Turkey - Dutch Oven Style Reply with quote

Pre-Heating the Oven

Items in the Oven

Turkey in the Oven

Done

Recipe:
(5) Chopped Onions
(1) Orange Quartered - Unpeeled
(1) Large Apple
(1) Bottle Cooking Sherry
(1) Asian Ginger Vinaigrette – Several glob shakes – Just Kind of Grabbed Out of the Fridge
(1) Szechuan Spicy Stir Fry Sauce – Several glob shakes – Just Kind of Grabbed Out of the Fridge
(1) Crushed Garlic – Couple of Table Spoons
(1) Fiesta – Extra Fancy Season-It-All

Took about Six Hours to Bake as I had a variety of backyard projects plus a few naps in between.

That’s it for now.

Gibguy
DG TX

PostPosted: Friday 11-25-2016 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Great! How big was the turkey and how large is that oven? Thumbs Up Good to hear from down So I-35 Thumbs Up
gibguy

PostPosted: Friday 11-25-2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello DG TX

I used a Maca 19 Inch Dutch Oven

The Turkey was about 20 lbs.

That’s it for now.

Gibguy
Hank McMauser

PostPosted: Tuesday 11-29-2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I did mine 14.5 lbs in my 15"Maca this year, I must've had it quite hotter, mine was done in less than 2 hours.
ChadVKealey

PostPosted: Tuesday 1-3-2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank McMauser wrote:
Very nice, I did mine 14.5 lbs in my 15"Maca this year, I must've had it quite hotter, mine was done in less than 2 hours.

In Alton Brown's latest book (Everyday Cook), his "Final Turkey" recipe calls for only 40 minutes of cooking time!

He preheats the DO in a kitchen oven to 500 degrees for 45 minutes, then adds the turkey, covers and cooks 20 minutes. Then, removes the lid for another 20 minutes, then removes the DO from the oven, covers the bird and rests for 20 minutes ("carry over" cook time, I guess).

I'm a bit skeptical that even a smaller turkey (he recommends 12-14 pounds) would fully cook in just an hour, especially with 1/3 of that being "carry over". Still, it's intriguing enough (and turkeys are cheap enough now) to give it a try. He uses a 12" or 14" deep Lodge oven, which I don't have, but I do have a 9 quart Lodge stovetop DO that should hold a 12 pounder just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: