www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Finally saying Hi from PA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quarterbore

PostPosted: Thursday 8-25-2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Finally saying Hi from PA Reply with quote

I realized I never really introduced myself to say hi so I thought I would take a moment to do so. My name is Ken and I live near Valley Forge PA. I enjoy camping and I am a Cub Scout Den leader.

My Dutch oven experience is somewhat limited as I have had a 10-inch and 12-inch dutch ovens for about 2-3 years now. Lately we have been doing more with the scouts and I have been watching camp cooking videos and suddenly learned that Lodge had discontinued a number of their camp dutch ovens in the 6, 14, and 16-inch sizes. I had not been shopping or looking so it was a surprise to me when they were dropped so I set out to fill some gaps (Oh by the way I am guilty or always wanting what I can't get).

So, over the past few months I managed to spend a small fortune and filled gaps in my cooking options by accumulating the following:

Lodge - 6-inch - 1 Quart (I want to try this motorcycle camping)
Lodge - 8-inch - 2 Quart
Lodge - 10-inch Deep - 5 Quart (I had this one)
Lodge - 12-inch - 6 Quart (I had this one)
Lodge - 14-inch - 8 Quart
Lodge - 14-inch Deep - 10 Quart
Cabela's (Camp Chef) - 16-inch - 12 Quart?
MACA - 13-inch - 12 Quart (Still waiting on this one - ordered from Happy Camper)
MACA - 8x12 OVAL - 8 Quart (Still waiting on this one - ordered from Happy Camper)
MACA - 17-inch - 29 Quart

Yea, I fell in deep. A couple of these were after thoughts like the 16-inch Cabella's Oven as after spending all this money a $90 dutch oven at normal retail prices almost seemed cheap. I wanted the standard 14-inch but I found a 14-deep at normal retail prices (Were in stock at Bass Pro Shop still) so I bought it to find a standard Lodge 14 at a flea market that needed some TLC.

When I found Happy Camper could still get a few MACA Cast Iron Dutch Ovens I ordered the 13 and Oval. These were at least at standard retail prices and not what they already sell for on EBAY. Finally I decided to just accept that if I want the option of doing a bigger turkey I need to just spend the money and I did pay a fortune for my US Made MACA 17 but it will last me and my kids and their kids so I will not cry too hard over the $750 with shipping I spent on that one monster oven alone.

I also have the Lodge Sportsman Grill and the fish fryer that fits it perfectly...

I also have a small assortment of cast iron skillets, griddles, etc. as well as non-camp dutch ovens I like to use to practice recipes at home with before I try it out camping with the scouts or my own kids.

Anyways, this is who I am and I have become a cast iron addict over the past 6-months. We have cooked lots of Pizzas, cobblers, brownies, chicken, pork BBQ, BBQ Pork Chops, lasagna, breakfast omelets, and much more this summer alone in these! Now I want to cook a big ham and a turkey Razz

I have not posted much in the month and a half I have been here but I have read hundreds of the threads on here and I wanted to say thank you for the excellent resource and I hope to someday be able to share but I am still learning myself!

Last edited by Quarterbore on Thursday 8-25-2016 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Aggroman
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thursday 8-25-2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! You certainly have a good "start" on your black pot arsenal. Gold Tooth Smile: You've got some awesome ovens for sure!
Brownie

PostPosted: Thursday 8-25-2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is so much fun being a CI addict. If I don't cook outside over charcoal for a few weeks I get depressed. Cooking outside in my CI is my antidepressant :-)

Welcome to the group and thanks for sharing you collection :-)

Brownie
cphubert

PostPosted: Tuesday 8-30-2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome from CT, WOW that's a lot of iron - great investment hope you get pleasure in their use. :Smile 1:
FFdoug

PostPosted: Tuesday 8-30-2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome from Iowa.
Dutch Oven Cooking can be Hazardous to your Stress. With a cupboard like yours, loaded with CI, you will fit right in.
Doug
cphubert

PostPosted: Wednesday 8-31-2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Quarterbore Thanks for listing the lodge 14" deep information, I was able to get one @ bass pro's Bridgeport CT store today they only have 1 other left in stock at that location. Thumbs Up
J2

PostPosted: Wednesday 8-31-2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest

Lots of great information on this site and great people behind it.

Joanne (J2)
bigfoote

PostPosted: Monday 9-5-2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome from Utah, pull up a chair while the black pot is hot, and fill free to join in
hvac1877

PostPosted: Wednesday 9-7-2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome there is a dutch oven group in Valley Forge Pa called Valley Forge Black Pots. My friend Randy runs it. They do monthly DOGs at Hopewell Furnace. Check out his website and he is on facebook. http://www.valleyforgeblackpots.com/join-valley-forge-black-pots/
www.olddominionironchefs.com
"we DO it in black pots"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Say Howdy! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: