www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Our first Chuckwagon Festival

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2DogNyte

PostPosted: Wednesday 8-10-2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Our first Chuckwagon Festival Reply with quote

On the way home from a White Mountains (AZ) camping trip, we saw a sign on the side of the highway: "Pinedale Chuckwagon Festival Aug 6"

Hmmm... is that what I think it is? A quick search online showed it was the fourth annual festival, as a fund-raiser for the local volunteer Fire Department.

So we headed back up that way the next weekend...

They said the festival would begin at 10:00 am, but we got a late start, and didn't get there till about 11:30. First mistake! By this time, most of the 300+ participants were lined up at the various chuckwagons, lunch tickets in hand.

See, this festival was a fund-raiser, not a competition, so each of the 9 teams prepared lunch-for-a-bunch, using open coals and DOs, not a competition with a fixed menu (like beef, bread, dessert)

Each team must have told the organizers how many they'd be cooking for, and when that number of tix were sold, you'd have to pick another team. All the teams had set up menu boards showing what they were cooking, but by the time we got there, only two choices were left: pulled pork or a chili pie. Next time we'll arrive earlier, for a wider selection.

So, we purchased tickets, stood in line, got our chow, and enjoyed a really good lunch of pulled pork, beans, coleslaw and a mixed-berry dump cake.

Then, bellies full, we decided to look around. Mistake number two! By this time, the cook teams were cleaning up, the well-fed participants were leaving, and the opportunity for some good pictures was fading fast.

The first image above was as we came in. And, yes, I should have gone past the backstop before I attempted the panoramic crowd shot! Rolling Eyes

Here's one decent picture of a team's wagon, with the neighboring team's cookfire:

And finally, here's a little eye-candy with a bunch of our favorite cooking utensils:

All in all, it was a fun day, a good lunch, an inspiration, and a learning experience!

Saw a guy with a shirt that read "I make beer disappear. What's your Super Power?"

Mine is taking pictures of empty dutch ovens and cold fire pits!

I'll try harder next time!
Brownie

PostPosted: Wednesday 8-10-2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pictures are very nice. Your tips on what was really happening were extremely helpful. I told DH when you first posted about it and we decided to go next year. Now I know when to get there and what to expect.

Thanks for the pics and the tips :-)

Brownie
DG TX

PostPosted: Wednesday 8-10-2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a real good "Shin Dig"! Thumbs Up
cphubert

PostPosted: Wednesday 8-10-2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post great pictures looking over the pits and tables for idea's to build. Can not wait to leave the northeast and explore other cast iron events! Thumbs Up
Aggroman
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thursday 8-11-2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looked like fun. One of these days i'll get to another one. Thanks for sharing.
J2

PostPosted: Thursday 8-11-2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: