www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Using a tripod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buckeye Blues

PostPosted: Tuesday 9-15-2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Using a tripod Reply with quote

How many on here utilize a tripod for camp cooking?

I have one, but have yet to use it. I'm a little leery of scorching a pot or something.

How does everyone go about regulating heat? Do you do the hand test to see how hot the fire is?

I mean I know you can raise and lower the pot with the chain, but is there any rules of thumb to go by?

Thanks for any tips you can share with me.
jakeway

PostPosted: Friday 9-18-2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Just started cooking over open fire with a tripod recently. The good news is it doesn't take too long to figure it out. These are the best tips I've found so far:

Make sure the tripod is set sturdy and the chain or hooks set to teh proper height. It's tough to change when the fire is hot, and you do not want to dump the pot into the fire or worse, onto yourself. Regulate the heat by adjusting the fire, not the pot. (Exception: when the food is cooked and you just want to keep it warm, take the pot off, adjust the chain or hooks, then put the pot back on.)

Cook over coals if you can, rather than freshly-lit wood. The wood will smoke a lot more, and the coals provide a more even heat.

If you have a large enough fire ring, especially a key-hole shape, then have the main fire off to the side and just pull some coals under the cooking pot to regulate heat. If you add fresh wood directly under the pot, it will start to smoke, making it tough on your eyes when checking or stirring the pot, the bottom of the pot will get more soot on it, and once the wood lights the pot will probably get too hot.

Cast iron is wonderful at holding the heat. I keep a sturdy stand off to the side; if the pot gets too hot, I can set it on the extra stand and it will keep sizzling for awhile until the main fire is adjusted.

Here are links to two of my home videos; the first one is my first time cooking with the tripod. I didn't even have a fire ring yet, so I just put a raised pan under the pot to get the fire off the grass. The second one is frying fish using the tripod and a grate; I did the set-it-aside method when the fish started getting too hot. Later I got the grate swinging, which evened the heat even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7hJtsIn-Dc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UsnR8z5pKg
Buckeye Blues

PostPosted: Friday 9-18-2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I'll watch those videos when I get a chance.
Brownie

PostPosted: Friday 9-18-2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the videos. I really enjoy seeing how people do things.
Buckeye Blues

PostPosted: Saturday 9-19-2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that custom tripod. The Iron rods in lieu of chain are a good idea.
jakeway

PostPosted: Thursday 9-24-2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckeye Blues wrote:
I like that custom tripod. The Iron rods in lieu of chain are a good idea.

Go to etsy.com and search for Campfire Tripods or Blacksmith and you will see lots of very nice custom-made tools and accessories. I don't know that they work any better than the china-made tripods you can get at the big chain stores, but I like the looks of the hand-made items. If I ever get back into blackpowder Mountain Man rondy voos, I'll need period-authentic stuff.

The blacksmith that made my tripod lives within an hour of me, and he teaches bkacksmithing classes a few times a year. If you can find something like that, you can make your own tripod.
wolfy

PostPosted: Wednesday 10-7-2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried cooking in a DO hanging from a tripod one weekend at a rendezvous. I thought it was a huge PITA.....chasing a swinging pot around every time I tried to tend or stir something, trying to lift a hot lid with a pot hook with the bale and chain in the way, wind blowing the heat away from the intended target, always trying to regulate heat was very difficult, etc. Just more cumbersome junk to pack around and it only accommodates ONE oven.....it just had too many detriments for the benefits, but that's just my experience.

I think the traditional 2 uprights and horizontal crossbar is much more useful and easy to use. Everybody's different, I'm just a little more so than most.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: