www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Dutch Oven Italian Sausages Peppers Onions & Mushrooms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Cooking Videos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1960HikerDude

PostPosted: Thursday 6-4-2015 2:18 am    Post subject: Dutch Oven Italian Sausages Peppers Onions & Mushrooms Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/H2LfoWg0JZ0

1 Lb Italian sausage
1 medium yellow onion cut into rings
1 green bell pepper cut into strips
8 oz sliced mushrooms
5 cloves garlic
2 Tbs Italian seasoning
1 jar of your favorite red spaghetti sauce
1 pound of your favorite hot pasta
Store bought garlic bread (optional)

Brown the sausages in a 10 inch Dutch oven using bottom heat. Remove the sausage. Drain the grease. Cut the sausage into 1 inch lengths and place them back in the the DO.

Add the onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and Italian seasoning. Bake at 350 Deg. F using 7 coals beneath and 14 coals on top for 30 to 45 minutes. Serve over hot cooked pasta with your favorite red spaghetti sauce.

Optional - Slice up a loaf of store-bought garlic bread and arrange it inside a 12 inch Dutch oven. Heat it for 20 to 25 minutes using 9 coals beneath and 16 coals on top at 350 Deg F.
jakeway

PostPosted: Friday 6-5-2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched this last night. Looks great. When cooking this outdoors/camping, would it work to put the pasta in dry and let it steam? (Trying to make it a one-pot meal.)
jakeway

PostPosted: Friday 6-5-2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, is that a Lodge DO with a round bail? I'm looking for a flat-bottomed DO for inside cooking and campfire-grate use, but all I've seen have the bail with the wire-wrapped handle. I'm afraid that will be a pain to hang on a hook from my tripod.
1960HikerDude

PostPosted: Friday 6-5-2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried cooking pasta that way except for no-boil lasagna noodles. I suppose you might be able do it with a moderate amount of very thin pasta, such as angel hair and a little extra water in pot.

The DO shown in this video does have a round bail without the wire wrap. I never use it outside my kitchen. For any outdoor use, I would use a camp DO every time. You will always have the option of adding coals on top.

If you can only afford one DO, a camp DO will give you the most versatility. You can use a camp DO's in your kitchen oven with a cookie sheet beneath and do any task that requires bottom heat in another pot.

As many here will attest, you can NEVER own enough cast iron. Kewl Green
jakeway

PostPosted: Friday 6-5-2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a couple recipes (sausage and noodles; beef stroganoff) in The Can Cooker where you put a full bag of wide egg noodles on top of the meat and vegetables and it works great. But those recipes have at least 12 oz of liquid to steam. I think I'll try it in the DO and report.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Cooking Videos All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: