www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

A Different Onion Soup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Soups & Stews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HistoricFoodie

Location: Central Kentucy: Where the Bluegrass Meets The Mountains

PostPosted: Thursday 5-14-2015 5:02 am    Post subject: A Different Onion Soup Reply with quote

Everybody knows about French onion soup. But did you know there was a British and British Colonial version?

At least as early as 1745 Hannah Glasse included a version in her Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy.. A similar recipe can be found in the 1753 cookery manuscript later titled The Ladyís Companion.]/I]

We adapted those recipes and presented the final version in our [I]A Colonial Virginia Book of Cookery: Second Table
. Itís a perfect soup for camping:

Onion Soup

2 sticks (half pound) butter
4 lbs onions, coarsely chopped
Ĺ cup flour
6 cups brown stock
1 slice bread, toasted
1 tsp salt
2 egg yolks, beaten
2 tsp vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

In a skillet, melt the butter over a low fire. Add the onions and cook slowly until onions are soft, about 15 minutes. Stir in the flour and continue cooking slowing, stirring often to prevent scorching, until onions turn a dark, golden brown, 30-40 minutes.

Bring stock to boil in a kettle. Add the onions. Flush the skillet with some of the broth, scraping up and browned bits, and return it to the kettle. Break the bread in small pieces and add to the kettle, along with the salt. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes. Remove kettle from heat.

Combine the egg yolks and vinegar. Temper the egg mixture by slowly adding about a cup of the soup to the eggs, beating constantly. Slowly beat the egg mixture back into the kettle, blending thoroughly. Correct seasoning with salt and pepper.

If necessary, gently reheat soup before serving.
sandyman

PostPosted: Thursday 5-14-2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question: What is brown stock? Is it Beef? Thinking

Sandy C Gold Tooth Smile:
HistoricFoodie

Location: Central Kentucy: Where the Bluegrass Meets The Mountains

PostPosted: Friday 5-15-2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day it would have been beef.

Nowadays we use it generically to describe any stock made from red meat: beef, venison, etc. Basically it distinguishes it from stocks made from poultry.

Although I've never done so, you could probably use a rich chicken stock and still have a really nice soup.

If you start with bouillon cubes or other bases, watch the salt content. I would not add additional salt until the soup is done; then taste and adjust as necessary.

When I haven't made my own stock the only base I use is the Better Than Bouillon brand. But even they have more salt than necessary. Their beef base, for instance, has 680 mg of sodium in a teaspoon.
sandyman

PostPosted: Friday 5-15-2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks HistoricFoodie. Thumbs Up

Sandy C Gold Tooth Smile:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Soups & Stews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: