www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

I KISSED MY ASH GOODBYE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfy

PostPosted: Friday 5-1-2015 10:47 am    Post subject: I KISSED MY ASH GOODBYE Reply with quote

I had a buddy cut a section out of the bottom of one of those 'el cheapo' D-handled, square-ended shovels that go on sale in the Springtime at the big-box stores. Then I had him weld a piece of expanded metal screen over the rectangular hole on the inside surface of the shovel......it slides along the ground better if it's welded on the inside.

I use it when transferring coals from the firepit to the oven lids. Just scoop up a pile of coals, do a little judicious jiggling and all of the dead ashes fall through the screened 'window' leaving the nice big glowing embers in the shovel.

If you've got more money than I do, one of these would work, too.....

http://www.toolite.com
Aggroman
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Friday 5-1-2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea! Thumbs Up I think making one would be a lot cheaper than the toolite ones. I saw the square end short one was 74 smacks. Frightened I definitely like your idea better!
wolfy

PostPosted: Monday 5-4-2015 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the ready-made shovels are waaaaay out of my league, but the 'el-cheapo' version, that I had built, was in the neighborhood of $5.....more MY style, for sure! Wink About the handiest Dutch oven accessory that I ever came up with, so far......and it works just as well with briquettes as it does with natural wood coals. Thumbs Up
HistoricFoodie

Location: Central Kentucy: Where the Bluegrass Meets The Mountains

PostPosted: Thursday 5-7-2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a terrific idea, Wolfy. Baddd

Things like that almost make me wish I didn't live in the 18th century. Ah, well. Guess I'll have to stick with my ember rake and shovel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: