www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Forty Mile Stew

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Soups & Stews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HistoricFoodie

Location: Central Kentucy: Where the Bluegrass Meets The Mountains

PostPosted: Tuesday 4-21-2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Forty Mile Stew Reply with quote

There’s an organization in Nebraska that provides authentic wagon train rides. These are multi-day trips that replicate the emigrant trains of the 19th century, often following the tracks left by them on the Oregon Trail. We made several trips with them.

While all the food prepared on those trips would qualify as camp food, one I want to share is 40-Mile Stew. Making it is more a procedure than a recipe, because the ingredient amounts are adjusted based on the number you’re feeding. As with all stews, it actually tastes better the second day.

Notice the absence of any liquid added. All the necessary moisture comes from the veggies and sausages.

Last time we were on one of the trains Friend Wife made her Dutch oven apple cake as dessert with the stew. That’s when the fun started. The wagon master was so impressed he offered me three ponies “for that woman.” I declined, saying I wouldn’t take 9 ponies for her. He said, for 9 ponies she’d have to bake a second cake. We went on to discuss other things. Meanwhile, Friend Wife did, indeed, bake another one. And one of her camp names was born.

40-Mile Stew

Stew meat
Sliced onions
Sliced potatoes (I prefer leaving the skins on for this)
Sliced tomatoes
Sliced green peppers
Sausage patties
Grated or sliced cheddar cheese

Saute the stew meat, onions, and potatoes in bottom of a CI pot or Dutch oven. Cover with layers of tomatoes, peppers, and sausage patties. Cover and simmer until broth forms from veggies and sausage is cooked.

Melt cheese on top.
Aggroman
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wednesday 4-22-2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds awesome!
Brownie

PostPosted: Wednesday 4-22-2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. This looks awesome :-)
wolfy

PostPosted: Thursday 4-23-2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEBRASKA, THE GOOD LIFE! Thumbs Up
Brownie

PostPosted: Friday 4-24-2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed this in the crockpot today. Absolutely delicious. My DH is not a big stew fan but he really liked it too. Thanks for posting. I will definitely be fixing this again :-)
HistoricFoodie

Location: Central Kentucy: Where the Bluegrass Meets The Mountains

PostPosted: Friday 4-24-2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh. Then my work here is done! Baddd

BTW, if you think it was good made with beef, you should taste it when made with venison. Fantastic!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Soups & Stews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: