www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Pete from Pittsburgh
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete

PostPosted: Monday 11-3-2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Pete from Pittsburgh Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new here, trying to expand my expertise by learning from your collective experience. Got into camp Dutch oven cooking 10 years ago as an adult on a Boy Scout canoe trip when our Scoutmaster made a fruit cobbler. I was impressed being able to make baked goods in the backwoods. My D.O.'s in order of purchase are... Texsport 4 qt./10", Camp Chef 6 qt./10", Harbor Freight 8 qt./12" and Camp Chef 8 qt./14". I've mainly done desserts and pizzas while car camping but while canoe camping last weekend made a Paella with someone who is a great cook but never used a D.O. Teamwork yielded an excellent dinner followed by a cobbler.
bigfoote

PostPosted: Monday 11-3-2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome from Utah, pull up a chair while the black pot is hot, and fill free to join in!
DG TX

PostPosted: Monday 11-3-2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, Howdy from down in Texas Thumbs Up
Aggroman
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tuesday 11-4-2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Big Howdy from Texas! Wave
AZ Steve

PostPosted: Tuesday 11-4-2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A warm welcome from sunny Mesa, AZ. Pull up a chair and join the conversation, lots of great people with lots of great information just waiting to be shared.
pete

PostPosted: Tuesday 11-4-2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Pete from Pittsburgh Reply with quote

pete wrote:
Hello, I'm new here, trying to expand my expertise by learning from your collective experience. Got into camp Dutch oven cooking 10 years ago as an adult on a Boy Scout canoe trip when our Scoutmaster made a fruit cobbler. I was impressed being able to make baked goods in the backwoods. My D.O.'s in order of purchase are... Texsport 4 qt./10", Camp Chef 6 qt./10", Harbor Freight 8 qt./12" and Camp Chef 8 qt./14". I've mainly done desserts and pizzas while car camping but while canoe camping last weekend made a Paella with someone who is a great cook but never used a D.O. Teamwork yielded an excellent dinner followed by a cobbler.

Here's a bit more about myself. Over the years I've been the camp cook on backpacking and bike camping trips using lightweight gear and my own dehydrated ingredients. I own several lightweight stoves (propane and white gas), 3 Coleman multi-burner stoves and a Lodge frying pan and griddle for car camping. On a recent trip, the other cook was surprised I didn't have a thermometer. I explained that I just take the lid off a lot and he mentioned how much heat I lose. So I recently got a camp chef 12' probe thermometer and a Fluke infrared thermometer to use on my next adventure. I made a protector for the probe using some metal tubing.

I've not used the Harbor Freight DO yet. At $24, I had to try it and you get what you pay for. It is marketed as 6 quarts but I measured out 8 quarts that fill it. I had to open the box from a 2nd oven to find a better fitting lid then had to clean off packing paraffin and season it. I was thinking about using an angle grinder to cut a slot for the probe thermometer but am not sure how bad could be.

I don't practice cooking in the kitchen too often since my wife has that covered but I realize the more I cook wherever I go, the more experience I gain. I'm enjoying reading all the posts that folks here are happy to share. Thanks!
cliffmeister2000
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thursday 11-6-2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pete from Pittsburgh Reply with quote

Welcome, Pete, from Central Arizona!

pete wrote:

I don't practice cooking in the kitchen too often since my wife has that covered but I realize the more I cook wherever I go, the more experience I gain. I'm enjoying reading all the posts that folks here are happy to share. Thanks!

I'm not allowed in the kitchen either, but usually have my outdoor kitchen set up. My wife doesn't like to fry in the kitchen as grease has a tendency to splatter, so I do most of the frying on my Camp
Chef stove in the back yard. I have cooked for up to 30 people out there. Love it! Thumbs Up
SeabeeCook

PostPosted: Thursday 11-6-2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome from the California Mother Lode ...
SeabeeCook on Instagram
'Round the Chuckbox on Facebook
'Round the Chuckbox blog
Outpost Jim

PostPosted: Sunday 11-9-2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pete!

Welcome from the Buckeye! We have a DOG over here on Memorial Day Saturday at Lehman's Hardware. Stay tuned if you wish to attend.
oracle5

PostPosted: Wednesday 11-12-2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

Check out my cooking videos on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/c/arkansasredneck

Get recipes on my website:
http://www.arkansasredneck.com

Check out my recipe photos on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/arkansasredneck2
hvac1877

PostPosted: Monday 11-17-2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Peter from another Pete!!!!! I am working with some people in the Pittsburgh area in starting a IDOS chapter once i get more info i pass it on to you.
www.olddominionironchefs.com
"we DO it in black pots"
bc toys

PostPosted: Monday 11-24-2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome from Las Vegas Nv I'm glad you are doing so much cooking in those DO's
The Teardrop Nanny

PostPosted: Tuesday 11-25-2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Welcome, Pete Reply with quote

Nice of you to join us, Pete. There are plenty of cooks here, and new ones are always welcome, especially when they share their recipes. Enjoy the time you spend here. And, BTW, your Dutch Oven table build is really fine work!
Joanie
The Teardrop Nanny
The following is available for you to preview: Outdoor Cast Iron Cooking Channel

Life is uncertain....eat dessert first....preferably one cooked in a Dutch Oven.

Last edited by The Teardrop Nanny on Tuesday 11-25-2014 7:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Lostjohn

PostPosted: Tuesday 11-25-2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard

Lostjohn
vagov

PostPosted: Wednesday 2-4-2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, pete deciced to join the forum as well and thanks for joining us at the 3 rivers dutch ovens chapter of IDOS looking foward to our first cookout April 25 at Racoon Creek State Park in western PA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Say Howdy! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: