www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

fermented hot sauce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Sauces, Rubs & Marinades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris

PostPosted: Friday 8-24-2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: fermented hot sauce Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I've not been around for a while, but such is life.
I do remember where to come to for some good advice though so here comes the question:

Does anyone have a personally tried and true perhaps favourite fermented hot pepper sauce recipe?
I know there's lots on line,but a personal recomendation always bears more weight.
I was thinking of something using mixed peppers that perhaps one could continue to add peppers & brine/salt etc. as more come into season.

Anyone?

Thanks all.

Last edited by chris on Saturday 8-25-2012 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
cliffmeister2000
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Friday 8-24-2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, but I'll be watching the responses!
chris

PostPosted: Wednesday 1-16-2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixed peppers from friends. Brined and aged for six months. Garlic added in the last two weeks. Shaken daily and kept out of direct light.

Ground & food mill-processed.

Thick or thinner? Sieved to make it thinner.

Almost ready....

...and ready! Something tells me I'll be making more next year!

So basically, I took the advice of a friend that has been making homemade hot sauce for some years, added good old Google and the procedure used for making Tabasco sauce.

As peppers became ripe and available, I chopped them and layered with salt. When I felt I needed a bit of liquid to keep the air out, I used about 4 oz. of pineapple juice (for the enzyme action).

I kept layering, and shaking daily (or so). When the jar was full, I topped it up with another 4 oz. of juice. I figured a little sugar would offset some of the habeneros in there.

After all the straining, I used a 1/4 cup of vinegar to thin it a bit.

It would be approximately 1/4 Habeneros, 1/4 Jalapenos, 1/4 Tabasco/Serrano type chilies and 1/4 mixed cherry/'Italian' garden peppers.

Not a punch of heat. Hotter than Franks 'Red Hot' but just a little milder than Sriracha 'Rooster' sauce.

I sure like it, but more importantly-the boss loves it!

Chris
Aggroman
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thursday 1-17-2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really cool. Never really thought about making my own hot sauce. Great idea. Thanks for the pics. Thumbs Up
Mike B

PostPosted: Friday 1-18-2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aggroman wrote:
That is really cool. Never really thought about making my own hot sauce. Great idea. Thanks for the pics. Thumbs Up

Making your own hot sauce is the only way to go. Peppers are on my shopping list for tomorrow, as I am running out of sauce.

BTW, I have at least a half dozen of those Tabasco-sized bottles that I use to store my sauce in.

1936 Packard, Carnation, WA
http://blogicalthoughts.com/
Darwin

PostPosted: Friday 1-18-2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the best way to store the finished product? Any safety concerns with this method? I have done some research but I am still ignorant in this process.
The sauces look good, and thanks for posting.
chris

PostPosted: Sunday 1-20-2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any hard facts on longevity of the sauce. My friend makes his yearly and finishes it off each year. I would anticiate this to be true for me too.

The amount of salt and the capsaicin in the peppers should provide enough preservatives.There's also the acid from the vinegar too.

I'll keep mine in the refrigerator, but like Tabasco sauce I don't foresee a problem of it lasting at least a year.
Darwin

PostPosted: Sunday 1-20-2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris wrote:
I don't have any hard facts on longevity of the sauce. My friend makes his yearly and finishes it off each year. I would anticiate this to be true for me too.

The amount of salt and the capsaicin in the peppers should provide enough preservatives.There's also the acid from the vinegar too.

I'll keep mine in the refrigerator, but like Tabasco sauce I don't foresee a problem of it lasting at least a year.

Thanks, I think I will give this a try this spring/summer. Thinking
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Sauces, Rubs & Marinades All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: