www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Seasoning My New Plow Disk Cooker.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Around the Campfire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhibbs

PostPosted: Sunday 9-4-2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Seasoning My New Plow Disk Cooker. Reply with quote

I thought for a while on how to season my new plow disk cookers. They are too large to place in a oven or even a BBQ.

I descaled the new disk with a 4" grinder and grinding disk. and then polished it with a 4" sanding disk. The old disks had been descaled with dirt years ago. I just used the sanding disk to remove the rust and polish the disk some.

Next I threw the disk on my turkey fryer, warmed that sucker up and threw some Crisco on. I put a small amount of Crisco in the center, then I used a small BBQ mop and "mopped" the Crisco over the entire disk. As the center of the disk began to look dry I add a small amount of Crisco and continued mopping all the way up. Once I was getting smoke I shut the burner off but continued adding Crisco and mopping until the disk cooled down. the center of the disk was black by the time I quit. I learned that if I did not cut the burner when I got smoke that it was not long before I got flame.

I seasoned the new disk first and let it cool while I did the old ones, then I threw the new one back on the burner and started cooking. When I finished one dish I wiped it down with a paper towel. Let it cool while I prepared the next dish. and Fired it back up, I had little to no sticking problems and cleaning was a snap. Baddd

I know that most everyone says to keep dish soap away but I will always wash my equipment. I warmed water in the disk and lightly cleaned with a SOS pad, that way I did not over soap it. I dried it on the fire and lightly oiled it.

I was pleased with the out come and I was able to clean the BBQ mop to use another day. Thumbs Up
Pony Rider

PostPosted: Sunday 9-4-2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Robert it sounds like it came out fine, and where it is yours you don't have to worry about what anybody else thinks if it cured you done a great job if it didn't get where you want it do it one more time. :Smile 1:

Hope to see ya on the trail
Paul

PostPosted: Monday 9-5-2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great! Would love to see a pic if you get a chance. I once seasoned a very large CI pot in almost the same way.
rhibbs

PostPosted: Tuesday 9-6-2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I cooked on it rite after I seasoned it and it worked great. Only cooked one time for the whole 3 day weekend, and still have left overs. As for pics I am having a fit uploading them. The instructions say to use tiny pick. when I try to join it takes me to photo bucket. It will not let me log onto my present photo bucket account. Could some one please point me in the rite direction. I have pictures I want to share. Thinking
bigfoote

PostPosted: Tuesday 9-6-2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

rhibbs wrote:
I cooked on it rite after I seasoned it and it worked great. Only cooked one time for the whole 3 day weekend, and still have left overs. As for pics I am having a fit uploading them. The instructions say to use tiny pick. when I try to join it takes me to photo bucket. It will not let me log onto my present photo bucket account. Could some one please point me in the rite direction. I have pictures I want to share. Thinking

Photo Bucket is what I use! Works great! Use the same IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards.
Oysterpot

PostPosted: Wednesday 9-7-2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another photo site is webshots.com. It allows quite a few photos and videos to be stored free. They can be shared individually, or link to the album.

www.webshots.com

If you can read this...Thank a Teacher. If you're reading it in English... Thank a Veteran!!!
rhibbs

PostPosted: Wednesday 9-7-2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Disk Pictures Reply with quote

I do not have any before pics, or cooking pics (yet).

This is the new "disk blank" it is 24" in diameter and 4" deep. This is the one I have cooked on and think I will use the most. It should feed a lot of Cub Scouts.

The other two were used, they cleaned up well and had minimal pitting. they are seasoned and ready to cook on. All in all I am pleased with the out come. Cool
dreadcptflint

PostPosted: Sunday 9-11-2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I have been waiting to see some disks in cooking action.. Thumbs Up
rhibbs

PostPosted: Sunday 9-11-2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: up coming camp out Reply with quote

We will be having a cub scout camp out the first week end in october. I plan to use the disk and the camp range. I will get pictures of both in action and post them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Around the Campfire All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: