www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Revolutionary War Brazier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Cooking tips, tricks and techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndnchf

PostPosted: Sunday 7-3-2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Revolutionary War Brazier Reply with quote

I wasn't sure where to post this, but since I use it as an ermergency back up plan, others may too.

As a Civil War reenactor and camp cook, I need to be able to feed the boys, come sunshine or pouring rain. I used to worry about being able to cook in a downpour (and have done it quite a few times, but its no fun and not easy). A couple years ago I came upon this little gem.

Its a replica of a Revolutionary war/War of 1812 charcoal brazier. Next to it is a "1-2-3 Miracle Blaze" charcoal brick that fits perfectly inside the brazier. These bricks are about 2" thick and last about 2 hours.

Here it is with the charcoal brick, ready to light:

It is very sturdy and has 4 large feet on the top that lets you set a big DO or skillet on it. The top grate folds down and is great for cooking a nice steak. Its quite compact, only about 9" wide overall and 8" tall. I keep a still-wrapped charcoal brick inside it when transporting, so it takes up very little extra room.

So now when the rain comes, I set this up under the fly and set my DO on it and can make a nice hot pot of stew and keep the boys happy, no matter how much it rains.

There are a couple different companies that make these reproduction braziers. Mine is very well built and even has a handle so it can be moved with hot coals in it.

Thought this might be a helpful tip for someone else.
Tom Kurth

PostPosted: Sunday 7-3-2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you get the charcoal brick?

Best,
Tom
ndnchf

PostPosted: Sunday 7-3-2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought about 8 of them at a Food Lion grocery store last year. They are a chain in the mid Atlantic states. I looked again recently, but didn't see them. Maybe do a google search for "miracle blaze". Maybe you can order them. online
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Cooking tips, tricks and techniques All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: