www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Full time tent living
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Behind the Woodshed
View previous topic :: View next topic  
white_feather

PostPosted: Thursday 6-16-2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Full time tent living Reply with quote

I am spending the rest of this summer living in a tent. I have a 14 by 8 tent for our basic quarters. There's a queen size inflatable bed, a six foot conference table for everything. I have a three drawer nightstand dresser for my clothes. I have a charcoal grill and two Coleman gas stoves. I havd a few lanterns, Coleman and Dietz. I have a few Coleman jugs with water and Koolaid. It's okay. I personally love it. The wife tolerates it. I'm firm in my plan. We already vacated the apartment. I sold almost everything I own. Wife put her stuff in storage. When cold weather hits I'm out. Gonna go south or southwest. Amen brother.
JerryR

PostPosted: Thursday 6-16-2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admire your fortitude.

After 3 days in a fairly decent pop-up camper I'm ready to go where the toilet flushes and I don't have to dump it later, the ice maker is nearly always full, the shower is handy and hot and the pillow-top bed is always comfortable.

Last year we bought a condo in Texas for the warm winter weather. Its 1100 sq. ft. and has all of the above mentioned amenities.

I've spent some time in a tent. I'll never do it again.

Good luck.
J2

PostPosted: Thursday 6-16-2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerryR wrote:
I admire your fortitude.

Me too! Would love to be able to do something like that. Getting rid of the "stuff" in our lives and re-learning what is important in our lives can be so healing.

Joanne2
David Hughes

PostPosted: Thursday 6-16-2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J2 wrote:
JerryR wrote:
I admire your fortitude.

Me too! Would love to be able to do something like that. Getting rid of the "stuff" in our lives and re-learning what is important in our lives can be so healing.

Joanne2

Amen Joanne2 Amen

Dave
IN GOD WE TRUST
dreadcptflint

PostPosted: Thursday 6-16-2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, I have known a few Teepee habitators and a few yurt dwellers but you are only my second long term tenter. I look forward to hearing about your adventures.
white_feather

PostPosted: Friday 6-17-2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been through some hard rains. It's actually very cool listening to the sounds. In the early morning with all the birds chirping it is such a wonderful experience. I'm gonna be sad when/if this comes to an end and I have to move back to a house. I can't imagine going back.
Polly Wog

PostPosted: Friday 6-17-2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great adventure, have you thought about starting a blog? Thumbs Up
Zelix

PostPosted: Friday 6-17-2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polly Wog wrote:
What a great adventure, have you thought about starting a blog? Thumbs Up

Excellent idea! It would be great to follow you along on this adventure.

I'd like to know why you are on this adventure. I guess I'm curious by nature. Shy Smile
white_feather

PostPosted: Friday 6-24-2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had an apartment. The lease was up. Didn't want to re-sign. A friend just had a roomie crap out on her for a second or third time. We decided to stay with her to save a bit of money. Our friend was like mommy dearest of roomies so after two weeks I put a tent in the backyard and said I ain't going back in there without a priest. My girlfriends brother said we could stay with him. I told him I would but only if I can live in my tent in the back yard. He was cool with that so it has begun. It's day 24. My girlfried is going to California for the rest of summer so I will be tenting solo. At that point I want to start a blog of what is going on and everything I am learning. I have had an interesting life. Suffered from claustrophobia and never left the house for many many years to now I am without a house and loving it. I am 43, I got my drivers license at age 42. But wait, if you order now there's more. Seriously though I will add more in the future as time goes by and I recall things.
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sunday 6-26-2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhiteFeather,

It sounds like you have the right frame of mind to make this work. Once you can give up everything, the world is a completely different place. My dad had a saying, "You don't own your things. They own you." It took me a very long time to understand that.

Good luck with your adventure!

Joanne
white_feather

PostPosted: Wednesday 7-13-2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife/girlfriend went to California on July 3rd to visit relatives. I've been solo since then. It is very interesting yet completely boring most of the time life. I have a great deal of time to think about things in my life, past, present and future. I have learned that I need even less than I have now. Candy will be back Aug 16th and we will once again be living within walls of an apartment. She did say that I can set up a tent outside and live in it if I want but I know she will not let me. We are a couple and we will sleep in the same bed no matter where so I will stay in the house with her. It is already breaking my heart to have to give up this adventure but I do still have five weeks to enjoy.
HogSnapper

PostPosted: Wednesday 7-13-2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, please come back to this thread and share some of the ups and downs. I'm getting ready to take an all around North America camping trip that will last about a year - and I'll be doing it with a tent and a Jeep. So your experience is of great interest to me. I look forward to hearing more about your day to day travails and triumphs.

By the way, how are you cooking? Have you worked out a system for bathing and toilet?
p1roger

PostPosted: Thursday 7-14-2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the weather like where you live? It's so hot and humid here, I couldn't imagine being in a tent this time of year.
white_feather

PostPosted: Thursday 7-14-2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using showers at some of my friends houses. I can clean up in a bathroom if I need to, I've done it many times. As far as the weather goes. It is very humid here so when the sun is setting it is very hot in the tent. I am trying to think of a way to put up a tarp to block the sun while it's setting. The biggest downside to all of this not working a regular job. I took the summer off. Boredom is hell. I have depression, anxiety and agoraphobia. My main reason for this whole crazy adventure is to grow as a person. I've learned a lot in six weeks. I can only dream of doing this for an entire year.
David Hughes

PostPosted: Thursday 7-14-2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="HogSnapper"]I'm getting ready to take an all around North America camping trip that will last about a year - and I'll be doing it with a tent and a Jeep. So your experience is of great interest to me.

Well HogSnapper that sounds like something I want to do, except I hope to do it with a tear drop camper. Do you have a set plan? I'm most likely a year or two away from my excursion. I would like to hit every state on the continent and do some in Canada to. I'll stay away from Mexico, I used to travel there on bussiness and some vacations and missions trips. When I go I just want to head out and where the road takes me that's where I go. I will have places I want to see but I don't want a time table. I hope you have a great time. When do you plan on leaving?

Dave
IN GOD WE TRUST
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Behind the Woodshed All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: