www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Pressure Canners

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allen

PostPosted: Saturday 4-2-2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Pressure Canners Reply with quote

Am looking at canners like this one: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=All+American+Pressure+Canner&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&prmd=ivns&biw=1122&bih=706&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3897798402702379855&sa=X&ei=QSGXTbrRKaqD0QHXk8TsCw&ved=0CFsQ8wIwAA#

Initially checked out Presto because of its availability locally but like the features of the 915 better.
What do you folks use?

We also plan to can outside.
Our stove has a glass top and have read that trying to can on top of a stove like that could end up cracking the glass.
Cabelas has this: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Outdoor-Cooking/Camp-Blind-Stoves%7C/pc/104795280/c/104754780/sc/104246280/Camp-Chef-Explorer-Stove/727834.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcamping-outdoor-cooking-camp-blind-stoves%2F_%2FN-1100705%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104246280%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104794380%253Bcat104754780&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104794380%3Bcat104754780%3Bcat104246280

My local store will honor the website price which is $89.99 and thats a significant savings.

Allen
tmeatzie

PostPosted: Saturday 4-2-2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Camp Chef's the way to go... Reply with quote

My wife used to teach a canning class for 4 - H for several years while we were in So Cal, we had a gas stove down there, a cheap one, and it seemed like it was a chore for her to can down there. We moved to Washington/Spokane and everything is electric up here. You can't even begin to get enough heat to get a big pot boiling to heat a full canner, and you'd probably mess up that glass stove top.

Then I got a Camp Chef Explorer 2 burner propane stove to use on the back patio and she was in heaven! She's used her BIG canning kettles out there, 2 at a time, a 9quart jar and a 7quart jar canner and got them both going pretty quick.

Also, I got one of those bulk propane containers at the same time as the stove, and I use the stove at least once every weekend for breakfast, and usually a couple of times during the week, and I still haven't refilled that container! That's been most of winter 'till now...

We picked our stove up at Cabela's on sale, I'm sure you can find deals at any of the big - box stores, in fact Costco has the 3 burner on sale up here at the moment.

I looked at your post and that's exactly what we paid for ours, what a deal! We initially bought another brand from Cabela's and it was NOWHERE near the quality as the Camp Chef. We got accessories (side shelves, griddle, paper towel holder) from outdoorcooking.com and found the accessories reasonably priced there.

Hope that helps, not gospel, just our experiences...
Allen

PostPosted: Monday 4-4-2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up the CampChef double burner Explorer at Cabela's yesterday.
Looks like a quality piece of gear!
We've used the little gas burner on our BBQ as an extra heat source but was never able to control the flame properly.
This set-up should be much better.
Allen
rednecksteverino

PostPosted: Wednesday 4-6-2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Canning outside--Done it, would do it again, knowing... Reply with quote

Camp Chef two burners are an ideal heat source for canning if it is a windless day or you are sheltered. Canning requires steady heat. Getting to pressure isn't the problem holding pressure at low heat is the issue even with little whiffs of a breeze. Make sure your canner has a dial gauge and you keep an eye on it. Also hot sunny days may see you get the canopy out to keep the sun at bay. I would NOT recommend cooking anything in the canner with the 30,000 BTU burner without a heat diffuser to tame it. You are fine with the jars in the water.

A word to the wise. Canning outside takes an extra measure of vigilance since it is a naturally dirty environment. It is not your kitchen. Depending on how close and accessible your kitchen is, canning outdoors will definitely add time to production in all phases, from set up to clean up.

On the plus side canning outdoors can be a great experience and can keep the heat out of the house and away from your glass cooktop. It is a tremendous amount of work for one (it can be done) it would make a great group experience. DAMHIK
Allen

PostPosted: Wednesday 4-6-2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve, we're going to work under the back deck roof just outside the kitchen.
We've got some other folks interested in this venture so many hands should make light the work.
Thanks for the tips. Thumbs Up
Allen
Norman J

PostPosted: Wednesday 4-6-2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing better than a Camp Chef for making a big fire. Now all you need are big pans. I have a 16" Lodge cast iron skillet that works great.

NJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Home Life All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: