www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Anyone use an All American Pressure Canner?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PigIceCream

PostPosted: Saturday 2-19-2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Anyone use an All American Pressure Canner? Reply with quote

Hi, I've never canned or put up any food except frozen. My mom use to jar tomatoes. Am planning this years garden and would love to finally put up some veggies for next winter. Planning on growing green beans, zucchini, summer squash, and anything else that will can good. I've been reading up on pressure canning and the All American Pressure Canner. They seem to be pretty expensive but I don't mind saving up for one if the expense is worth it.

My question is does anyone currently use one and are you happy with it. Question number 2 is what else can you can or have canned?

Thanks
stan41

PostPosted: Saturday 2-19-2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use an All American canner, but I am sure they are good ones. I use an older Presto and have used Mirro brand.

I have canned pinto beans, green beans, sweet corn, blackeyed peas, tomatoes, tomato juice, squash, carrots, sauerkraut. You can also can any kind of meat or fish.
David Hughes

PostPosted: Saturday 2-19-2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Presto canners and use them for canning. I have done salsa, tomatoe sauce, apple sauce, corn, peppers, pickles, relish, tomatoe jam, strawberry jam, elderberry jelly, and want to do meat some day. I know an Amish lady that has caned cheese, chickens, and a lot more. All American pressure cooker are good. My prestos are smaller so I can do smaller batches or use the two to do a lot. Have fun, a great canning book is the Ball Complete Book fo HOME PRESERVING.

Dave
IN GOD WE TRUST
stan41

PostPosted: Saturday 2-19-2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that there are big advantages to using two canners when putting up lots of food. While one cools down and depressurizes you can load up the other one and get it started.
Stan
BIGDADDYBR549

PostPosted: Saturday 2-19-2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PigIceCream, I'm at the same place as you. I am thinking of going the freezer way tho. I like the quicker put up time and less energy and heat in the house. Now I know that people will say, what about power outage. But, I have a generator that will keep my freezer and fridge along with a few other things going till we use all the frozen food first. Then dried and canned foods if needed. I gave away so much produce last year and I miss my fried okra SO bad. What ya'll think?
stan41

PostPosted: Sunday 2-20-2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like canning in jars better than freezing because I like home canned food better than frozen food. (meat excepted)

Also, all frozen food will get freezer burned. On the other hand yesterday I ate some canned tomatoes that I canned in 2006. They were just as good as the day I canned them.

Stan
PigIceCream

PostPosted: Sunday 2-20-2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks for the tip on the book. You and stan41 have me wondering if I should buy two small canners instead of the one big one. I like the idea of canning corn and carrots too.

Bigdaddy, The reason am leaning toward the canning and away from the freezing is because I don't have a good area for a freezer. My basement floods in the spring, which with the amount of snow we have this year I should be building an Ark. Theres just no other space for a large freezer. Hey by the way I spent some time up route 40 from you in Fairview at my brothers place. Beautiful country. Hes since moved out of Tenn Sad

Interested in the jams/jellies. Has anyone canned beef stew?
PigIceCream

PostPosted: Sunday 2-20-2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan, I agree. That was one of the reasons am looking into canning over freezing. I have to eat whatever I freeze within the year. Plus it looks like canning gives you more options.
stan41

PostPosted: Sunday 2-20-2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only advantage to the big canners is that you can stack pint jars in them. (two layers of jars) and can 18 pints at one time.

The small canners can only handle 9 pint jars at a time.

If you can stuff in quart jars the capacity of both is the same.

Big canners take a little longer to get the pressure up (and down) than the smaller canners.

Other than these differences the end result of the food is the same.

I bought my canners (I have several) at garage sales and flea markets. You can usually buy them really cheap at these places. Parts are available for the Presto canners.

Stan
BIGDADDYBR549

PostPosted: Sunday 2-20-2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PigIceCream, well, you just mosey on back down here to TN anytime you want. I fix you some pulled pork sammages and sweet tea with lemon. We'll sit under the shade tree in the breeze, tell each other lies and watch the babies play.
PigIceCream

PostPosted: Monday 2-21-2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigdaddy, That sounds like pure heaven Thumbs Up
rednecksteverino

PostPosted: Thursday 2-24-2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PigIceCream,
I own about a dozen pressure cookers of various sizes, makes and models. Mind you I am no expert, but I agree with all that has been passed to you as advice. I underscore the idea of looking at thrift stores for your pressure canner. At thrift store prices you could well afford two canners of any size. National Presto is a fine company to work with for any replacement parts you might need. Consider any canner that is NP brand with a gasket since you can replace those. NP's twist fit lid is faster than a bunch of wing nuts and no less safe. You want to be watching and attending what you are doing, anyway. But consider also any canner with wing nut type fasteners and no gasket to replace, like All American. Make sure any dial gauge pressure indicator sits on zero or very near, with no pressure. If not, it will need to be replaced, which is not a deal breaker if it is NP, but should lower the price.
My .02 cents. Freezers have a limited capacity and cost money to run whether on house current or generator.

It might be a little more trouble but you can keep most of the mess and the heat entirely out of the house by canning outside with a double propane burner from Camp Chef for about a hundred dollars. Its called 'canning in nature' and carries its own joy. It takes less time to heat up one of the large canners full of water if you hit it with 30,000 BTU's as opposed to 12-15,000 on your stove. Heating water is where a lot of the time of canning is consumed. If you saved money at the thrift store you might still have spent less than the new All American canner with two used canners and a new burner. For me there is a satisfaction factor in home canned food eaten in the dead of winter that is not there with flash freezing. It is recommended that you keep canned food in darkness but if you should happen to store it on open shelves there is a beautiful memory every time you catch a glimpse of it.

I'm done.

P.S. If you can outside make sure it is a still windless day since canning requires steady heat and precise pressure, for anywhere from 25 to 90 minutes depending on what you are canning. Wind is not a problem at full bore but when you turn down the heat to maintain pressure a little friendly breeze, isn't so friendly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Home Life All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: