www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Renfrow Dutch Oven
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J2

PostPosted: Tuesday 11-30-2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Renfrow Dutch Oven Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of these? I can't find much on the internet.
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tuesday 11-30-2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Renfrow Dutch Oven Reply with quote

J2 wrote:
Has anyone heard of these? I can't find much on the internet.

I'm certainly no expert on old cast iron, but I've not heard of them.

Joanne
ironhead

PostPosted: Tuesday 11-30-2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pic would be helpful
n4twz

PostPosted: Wednesday 12-1-2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of one I found, it says Renfrow Ware L.A in a search they seem to think the LA is for Los Angeles, not Louisiana.

I know it's not much help, but at least it's some pics Frightened

PostPosted: Wednesday 12-1-2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic. Not much is known about these pieces i came to the same conclusion as you during a search.
J2

PostPosted: Wednesday 12-1-2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks N4TWZ for posting the pics.

I came across one the other day for $20. I think it was a 10". I walked away because my better half was with me and I am getting out of control with my CI addiction. I am spending more time collecting than cooking.

Should I go back and see if it is still there? Shhh He's not going to like that!

Joanne2
bobhenry

PostPosted: Wednesday 12-1-2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Renfrow-Ware-Cast-Iron-Lidded-Cooking-Pan-6722011.html

How does $13.00 strike ya?
Paul

PostPosted: Wednesday 12-1-2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J2 wrote:
I walked away because my better half was with me and I am getting out of control with my CI addiction. I am spending more time collecting than cooking. Should I go back and see if it is still there? Shhh He's not going to like that!

Joanne2

You don't know how many times I've done the "return trip"!!! Go for it! Thumbs Up
J2

PostPosted: Wednesday 12-1-2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Saturday I picked up 2 skillets and he wasn't too happy about that. I was able to get away with it because they were sizes I did not have yet.

I already have two 10" DO's one with and one without legs, as well as one each 12" & 12" Deep camp ovens that I have not used yet.

If I see a moment of weakness in him, I will talk to him again. After 25 years of marriage, I have learned there are some things just not worth fighting about.

If it was an "investment" or worth a lot more, I might have had a better chance.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Joanne2
cliffmeister2000

PostPosted: Wednesday 12-1-2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that it is L.A. rather than LA. would support the Los Angeles theory. They seem to be available, not hugely sought after. At least, not commanding a very tall price.
BIGDADDYBR549

PostPosted: Wednesday 12-1-2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J2, I wish that the only thing I had to worry about my wife sneaking in the house was cast iron. It's alot cheaper than jewelry. And I could use it too. BIGDADDY
bobhenry

PostPosted: Thursday 12-2-2010 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J2 wrote:
On Saturday I picked up 2 skillets and he wasn't too happy about that. I was able to get away with it because they were sizes I did not have yet.

I already have two 10" DO's one with and one without legs, as well as one each 12" & 12" Deep camp ovens that I have not used yet.

If I see a moment of weakness in him, I will talk to him again. After 25 years of marriage, I have learned there are some things just not worth fighting about.

If it was an "investment" or worth a lot more, I might have had a better chance.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Joanne2

Wife and I made an agreement long ago we call the $50.00 rule. If it was an item or items we wanted and it was under $50.00 there was no discussion and no reprisal. However if the expendature was over $50.. we would confer and jointly decide if it was a good idea or not.
Has worked well for us Thumbs Up
cliffmeister2000

PostPosted: Thursday 12-2-2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great plan, bobhenry. For us, it's more like $20 these days, but it still keeps harmony in the house where the checkbook is concerned. Thumbs Up
J2

PostPosted: Thursday 12-2-2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobhenry wrote:

Wife and I made an agreement long ago we call the $50.00 rule. If it was an item or items we wanted and it was under $50.00 there was no discussion and no reprisal. However if the expenditure was over $50.. we would confer and jointly decide if it was a good idea or not.
Has worked well for us Thumbs Up

Used to have the same rule, but like Cliff, the bar has been lowered.

I am also a reformed "pack-rat" (genetic thing I think), or at least I am trying. So I need to know I will have a place to put something before I bring it into the house. I rely on him to keep me in check.

Joanne2
Jerry Daschofsky
steelheader69

PostPosted: Saturday 12-4-2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it's funny. I was gung ho for a bit when it came to cast iron. But I'm a practical type. If I'm not going to use it, or have a use for it, I get tired of it pretty quickly. I built up quite a collection, thanks alot to the red and blue books and being a member of WAGs a year or so ago. But times changed like they always do, and realized I don't want to just collect cast iron. So I started the process of downsizing alot of it. Keeping all of my grandparents/great grandparents stuff and my parents skillet and dutch oven (as in house style) and getting rid of the rest. Having 10 #8 skillets just isn't appealing to me anymore. Now, I do use ALOT of different DO's. So I'm still collecting them. Hell, I'd love to get about 5 more Wagner camp ovens (the ones I do believe Griswold made for them, was after thier merge I believe?). But still adding to my CC collection. But as some know, I do alot of big camps. Funny how sometimes you realize that 4 16" DO's ARE NOT enough to help with the feeding of alot of people.

Hmmmmmmm, maybe I need to get J2 over to my place and set out all my Wagners. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: