www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Water Heater Stand ~ Maybe your next choice for DO cooking?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliffmeister2000
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tuesday 1-18-2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura,

many, many cooks use galvanized oil pans for DO cooking (including me) and I have not heard of any effects. In fact, the only effect I have heard of is when welding, and welders have their noses in their work for extended periods.

I have used mine many times, and it rusts if I leave it outside. To solve the problem, I don't leave it outside unless I'm using it! Thumbs Up

Cliff

God, People
1John 4:9-11
Art & Pat Burns

PostPosted: Wednesday 1-19-2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScouterMom wrote:
I don't think tinfoil would help - the metal still gets hot enough to 'burn off' chemicals and fumes....

but -

Wouldn't the galvanizing chemicals burn off after a while?

Would it help to 'pre-season' a galvanized table top with a few fires before cooking?

Also, how much of a hazard could fumes be in open air, and with a closed DO? You're not actually putting food on the galvanized metal.

I really like the idea of a inexpensive, home-adapted table that does NOT rust.

Not looking for any hard facts - but ideas and responses. I don't want to poison anyone or make them sick - but I'm 5'10 and 50 yrs old - my back sure doesn't like cooking on the ground like I could in my 20's! Or hefting too much iron equipment! Plus being unemployed right now, I'm on a very tight budget and have always been a promoter of recycle/ reuse!

Laura

I didn't mention, the galvanized metal I used was real weathered, and I sprayed it with Hi temp paint used on grills. The foil is just to keep it clean and to make ash clean up easy, it's held up pretty good and it's cheep.

Art & Pat

Beer Wine
ScouterMom

PostPosted: Saturday 1-22-2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it occured to me - as I looked at the possibilities of the assorted 'junk' in my garage - that I have an old portable metal 'typewriter table' from the days before electric typewriters - with side leaves that fold down. Those antique Underwood typewriters were HEAVY. If the legs aren't strong enough, I could always make new ones for it. I wouldn't put a DO on the side leaves - but they would be handy for utensils or wind screens....

I'm wondering if I could strip (or burn?) off the original brown paint and re-coat it with heat-resistant grill paint - if it wouldn't make a good DO table? Come to think of it - since the paint has lasted this long - it might be heat applied enamel already. It's been used as a small accessory tool table in the garage for decades and it's really taken a beating and not rusted.

The metal isn't real heavy - but it's at least as thick as the metal of my table top grill. It probably wouldn't last forever - but then, considering it's probably 40 or 50 yrs old anyway - who cares?
cliffmeister2000
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Saturday 1-22-2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutermom, for use in the back yard, it sounds fine. Thumbs Up Probably not very portable for camping, though.

I found this folding stand, probably for a band (as in music) at Goodwill last year

And added this industrial cookie sheet, also from Goodwill

It makes a great DO table.

Total cost, under $10. It is a little low, about 14 - 16" off the ground, but I manage. Gold Tooth Smile:

Cliff

God, People
cliffmeister2000
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Friday 7-22-2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Almartres,

Please pop over to The "Say Howdy" section and introduce yourself. Thumbs Up

Cliff

God, People
bobhenry

PostPosted: Friday 7-22-2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still love my height adjustable, knock down ,satelite dish dutch oven table.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40883&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Sold 3 of them at the Crossroads of America gathering !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: