www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Can Cooker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wishbone

PostPosted: Sunday 1-31-2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Can Cooker Reply with quote

Seen one of these in a store in Wichita,Ks last thursday. http://www.cancooker.com/ $99.95 Went on internet (googled can cooker) & found them at Rural King farm store for $49.95. Any have one or seen one? They look good for a crab or shrimp feed while camping. I'm thinking about ordering one from Rural King, even with shipping it will be a lot cheeper. Wishbone-ks
p1roger

PostPosted: Sunday 1-31-2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen one before Wishbone, it looks pretty cool though. I think it's funny how they talk about weight loss and eating healthy then the how to video shows them making chicken and throwing in a whole stick of butter. Laughing I bet it would work really well for shrimp, crab or crawfish.
Christn

PostPosted: Sunday 1-31-2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be brain-dead, 'cuz I didn't see how to use it. They just show a guy dumping food in it and said it would be ready later.????????Maybe I should do the google dance.
cliffmeister2000
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sunday 1-31-2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking this is an aluminum substitute for a dutch oven.

Cliff

God, People
1John 4:9-11
wolfy

PostPosted: Sunday 1-31-2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those things are made just south of me here in Nebraska. They are quite well made and are selling like hotcakes at the area sports shows.

I think people are getting spring fever and feel the need to get outside and cook something, but they can be used inside on top of the stove as well. Cream can cooking is quite popular in this section of the country, but cream cans are becoming as scarce as hen's teeth, too......hence, the newfangled one came into existance.

The company is doing quite well, from what I hear. I saw and handled one of their cookers at an event here in Ponca last fall......they seem to be a very well made item.
regis101

PostPosted: Sunday 1-31-2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of acts like a pressure cooker? I saw steam rising from the lid during the infomercial
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Monday 2-1-2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
Sort of acts like a pressure cooker? I saw steam rising from the lid during the infomercial

I was thinking the same thing. A low-pressure steamer...

Although I'm not going to shell out the $$ to buy one, they look pretty neat.

Joanne
Christn

PostPosted: Monday 2-1-2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'm not so brain-dead after all. Finally figured to go to the site and saw how to use it. Yeah, it also looks to me to be similar to pressure cooking, just low pressure cooking. A tad too big for my needs. Now, if they'd just make 'em out of stainless steel for the same price....
jakeway

PostPosted: Tuesday 2-3-2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Can Cooker Jr for Christmas and love it. It's similar to using a Dutch Oven, but definitely not the same. The main advantage is it's super light, quick, and cleans even quicker than a well-seasoned DO. I use it almost exclusively on the inside range, or on a camp stove. Absolutely the best way to make Bratwursts and Sauerkraut. And if you're going on a fishing trip and want shore lunch, the Can Cooker is a heck of a lot lighter and easier to pack than CI.

I actually got back into DO after getting all excited about the Can Cooker.

I really like the mix of a Can Cooker pasta meal (Beef & Noodles?) with a fresh DO cobbler for desert.
Huntnhawg

PostPosted: Tuesday 2-3-2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a company that sell stainless steel cream can cookers. They're more expensive, but are really nice.

http://www.ogallalacreamcansupper.com

They've got them in four different sizes.
PhulesAu

PostPosted: Monday 2-9-2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing More like a Medium pressure cooker. I have a big one and the Jr. size
The really work well for the 4 - 6 people size group unles you are big on freeze your self TV dinners. Yes the stick of butter thing looks bad , but little is actually on the cooked food. And if you load it up with veggies and Chicken
and a good spice mix, you'll get excellent results. A single 16oz beer is my "liquid of choice. The only other real tip I can offer is to use a burner large enough to bring the liquid up to a boil as fast as possible. After you get a good steam blow off, you can reduce heat. 30 - 45 minutes and it's pig-out time!!!! Razz
jakeway

PostPosted: Tuesday 2-10-2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I tried my Can Cooker Jr sitting on my Lodge Lid Rack over a bunch of briquettes. It took over 30 minutes to start to steam, even with 20 briquettes underneath. Then the steam came out so slowly, I eventually gave up and finished the job inside on the stove. It wasn't as good as previous dishes, but I used Kroger brats instead of Johnsonville, and a different brand of sauerkraut, so maybe it wasn't the method.

So, in summary, I think the Can Cooker is better than a DO if you are in a hurry and want to use a stove, or if you're doing something that needs to be steamed or boiled like a crawfish Low Country Boil. The DO is still preferable for slower cooked meals or things you want baked or browned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: