www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

American Camper
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christn

PostPosted: Friday 1-1-2010 11:33 am    Post subject: American Camper Reply with quote

Happy New Year, everyone-
About 6mo ago I picked up a American Camper DO at a roadside flea market for $65. It appeared new and unseasoned, needing very little clean-up. I did that, then seasoned it one time on my smoker, to give it some protection then stored it in a completely closed in shed. I think it's a 15" D.I've tried to look it up on the'net but can't seem to find any info, and need to find/fix my problem about posting pics. The person who soldit to me said it cost $130 at somplace like Bass Pro.
can anyone give me any info/leads about this? It sorta' struck me as being a little odd to sell one that size & condition at a flea market way out in the boonies. Many thanks in advance.

Chris
Turkeywire

PostPosted: Friday 1-1-2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The American Camper trademark, as near as I can tell, belongs to Tap Enterprises Inc. You will probably know them better as Cummins Industrial Tool Sales. Those are the traveling sales that set up in a motel, VFW or American Legion. I thought that that name was familiar so I did a search.
Hope this answers your question.

Carl
wagoncook

PostPosted: Sunday 1-3-2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "American Camper" dutch ovens are made in China. I bought four of them that are about 15 inches across. I bought them at a "Cummins Tool" sale at the VFW hall. They were 18 dollars each. They are cheaply made, but you can cook in them. I thought I was making an awesome deal---but I do not care for them. The lids fall off when you carry them---I think all four of my lids are chipped. I won't buy any more.
Christn

PostPosted: Sunday 1-3-2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkeywire & Wagoncook-
Thanks to both for the information. I may never get a chance to use it, certainly thought I was getting a good deal. Guess it pays to do the research first. The lessons we learn go beyond any $ amount. Again, many thanks. I'll be getting more use out of my Lodge DO's anyway.

Chris
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Monday 1-4-2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christn wrote:
Turkeywire & Wagoncook-
Thanks to both for the information. I may never get a chance to use it, certainly thought I was getting a good deal. Guess it pays to do the research first. The lessons we learn go beyond any $ amount. Again, many thanks. I'll be getting more use out of my Lodge DO's anyway.

Chris

Chris,

The ovens may not be up to the same quality as Lodge or Camp Chef, but I'll still bet you can get some good use out of them. I've eaten a lot of good food out of "no name" ovens. Thumbs Up

I've known folks who keep a couple of no-name ovens on hand as loaner pots for folks who want to learn about DO cooking. Thinking

Joanne
wagoncook

PostPosted: Monday 1-4-2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris
You own it---by all means use it. The problems with the "Ameican Camper" dutch ovens are not problems that would affect cooking.

I use mine all of the time---because I have them and sometimes I need them.

If anyone on this website tells you that they have never been "taken" by someone selling a cast iron piece----They are lying.

I always love it when I see a lodge #12 at an antique store for $150.00.
Trouble is---somebody will probably buy it.
Christn

PostPosted: Tuesday 1-5-2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess one of the reasons I got it was that I so rarely see any dutch oven for sale at a flea market, and I've got WAY more DO's than I will probably use anyway. Is that par for the course for castironitis? If so, I guess I got it. Certainly thought it was a good price for that size pot.

Chris
cliffmeister2000
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tuesday 1-5-2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't pass up a cast iron bargain, and have many, many skillets and DO's without lids. I was lucky to find someone in our church who doesn't have a lot of money, and loves cast iron cookware. She got a cornbread pan, a griddle, and a lidless 4 qt DO from Santa!
dmb90260

PostPosted: Tuesday 1-5-2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find glass lids that fit DO's and work just fine. My kitchen DO came with one which I had to replace later on and it has been going strong for the last 20 yrs. Damn, time flies when you are having fun.. Frightened That long????
just remember to bring along your Dutch Ovens!!

The Buzz In The Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
Turkeywire

PostPosted: Tuesday 1-5-2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cook in a no name 12" camp oven that I got at the farm store.
Christn

PostPosted: Tuesday 1-5-2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all. Definitly going to keep it, no plans to get rid of it. Just can't imagine, at present, what to cook in it. Who knows, I may wind up cooking for a crowd with it. That would be one big cobbler!

Chris
DG TX

PostPosted: Wednesday 1-6-2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give a batch of those "pop" canned biscuits a try for first run Thumbs Up If they don't turn out, no big loss Thinking Go for it!
ScouterMom

PostPosted: Thursday 3-10-2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny - I have an American Camper oven and had forgotten where I got it - but there have been quite a few of those truckload sales at the local VFW over the years, so I must've bought it there.

mine is a 10" and the thing I really like about it is that it had the coal edge lid, but no legs - which makes it the ideal indoor/outdoor DO. I used some rocks, and later got a lid stand for legs to use it camping.

My first DO is a Texsport - talk about cheap! but I use it all the time and it cooks well, despite it's shortcomings - It's a 12" deep and makes the most beautiful golden-brown pies!

The bail is too short (gets stuck under the lid lip) the lid isn't cast evenly, so it 'tilts' when lifiting it off the pot using the old-fashioned kind of lid lifter (have to hook it on the no-name side to balance it and not dump coals) and it has/ had numerous sharp burrs inside. I had resorted to never actually cooking on the iron itself - I had found a (new) stainless steel dog dish that fit perfectly inside it to use as a liner.

Now that the burrs have been sanded off with a dremel and it has a great finish, it cooks great!

But I would never buy another Texsport again!
JerryR

PostPosted: Thursday 3-10-2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at some American Camper ovens at a tool outlet store a few years ago. I was looking for something big at a decent price. They had 4-5 bigguns on the shelf. I could not get the lid off of any of them without fighting the bail whether the bail was up or down, an unhandy situation with hot coals on the top and food inside.

I saved up my pennies and bought a Lodge 14 deep.
Grizzly

PostPosted: Thursday 3-10-2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScouterMom wrote:

mine is a 10" and the thing I really like about it is that it had the coal edge lid, but no legs - which makes it the ideal indoor/outdoor DO. I used some rocks, and later got a lid stand for legs to use it camping.

I have an American Camper 10" just like the one that ScouterMom describes, and a Texsport that looks just like it, but the Texsport has legs. I was really disappointed in both of them the first few times I used them.

BUT

They have turned out to be my favorite, go to, DO's for making my version of Aussi Damper (Camp Bread). Crazy as it may sound, they are the best darn bread ovens I have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: