www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Dutch oven table plans (Joanne's)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sunday 12-9-2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Dutch oven table plans (Joanne's) Reply with quote

Hi all,

One of the topics that comes up regularly is Dutch oven tables. I've cooked in campfire rings, metal pans made for changing oil, and on the table I built for myself. Although cooking down on the ground is historically accurate, cooking up on a table is really convenient.

Rather than trying to draw up a set of plans, I'll give a list of the dimensions and materials, then let the photos explain the rest. There is nothing "magical" about the dimensions that I chose other than I wanted it big enough to cook with two 14" ovens side-by-side. It turned out quite sturdy as I have cooked with 5 ovens in two stacks on it.

- the table is a 16" x 36" piece of 3/16 steel (1/8 would be more than enough!)
- 1" angle iron welded around the parameter to keep coals from falling off
- 12" high wind screen made from sheet metal
- banquet legs are welded directly to the table

I bought the legs at Home Depot and welded them directly to the bottom of the table. I also cut 3" off each leg to lower the height of the table.

I welded 1" angle iron around the parameter of the table, leaving openings in each front corner so I can scrape ashes into a bucket. This doesn't need to be very strong, so a couple of inch long welds are more than enough.

This little tab creates a slot for the windscreen to slide into. No need for latches or other hardware.

This is an overall view of the cooking surface.

Here is a photo with the windscreen folded up. I used piano hinges and rivets to put it all together. The windscreen folds down just like on the old Coleman stoves.

I use 1/4 round steel to make a handle for the table. It makes it easier to move the table around and makes a great spot to hang the coal tongs.

I hope this gives you enough detail to build your own table. There is no right or wrong way to build them, so make one that meets your needs. Thumbs Up

Joanne

Last edited by Joanne on Friday 9-12-2008 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
woodbutcher

PostPosted: Sunday 12-9-2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. How many can you weld in a week? Seems like you may have a good market on here for them. Any idea how much it weighs?
mb82

PostPosted: Sunday 12-9-2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I might have to steal that idea.
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sunday 12-9-2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodbutcher wrote:
Nice job. How many can you weld in a week? Seems like you may have a good market on here for them. Any idea how much it weighs?

I really don't know how much it weight, but it's HEAVY. I'm guessing 50 lbs or so. I actually built two of them and sold the other one. It paid for all of the materials so this one didn't cost me anything except labor.

I had considered building some more, but the price of steel is just stupid right now. I have a lightweight design bouncing around in my brain. After the first of the year I want to build a prototype. I actually think it's a patentable design so I may go that route. I won't post any pictures until I decide though. Sorry....

Joanne
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sunday 12-9-2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mb82 wrote:
Very nice. I might have to steal that idea.

PLEASE do!! That's the reason I posted the photos. I know that there are a few copies floating around. I love sharing ideas and seeing how others improve on the design.

Joanne
Corona~Barb

PostPosted: Monday 12-10-2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one serious wind screen. That's just what we need at the Beach DOG. 50# is out of my league...
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Monday 12-10-2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corona~Barb wrote:
That's one serious wind screen. That's just what we need at the Beach DOG. 50# is out of my league...

Hi Barb!

I wanted the wind screen tall enough that I could cook with a two high stack and still have some protection. The most I've cooked on it was 5 ovens at once. It seems like it's always windy when I cook so I'm happy with the size.

The weight is a different story. It came out way heavier than I expected. It's not bad when it's setting on the back porch, but when I take it to an event, it's a pain to move around. I do have an idea for a much lighter table. It's a matter of finding the time to build one and see how it works.

Joanne
screen

PostPosted: Monday 12-10-2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!! Now all I need is the DO!

What size would you get for a first one - 12"?
AmyH

PostPosted: Monday 12-10-2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joanne! Those are awesome photos! Cutting down the weight will be the tricky part, but those photos show everything perfectly. Many many thanks for sharing that design of yours. Thumbs Up
Allen

PostPosted: Friday 9-12-2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joanne, you have some impressive metal-working ability. Nice looking welds, they just warm my heart. Cool
The plans for that table would make a great sticky in the forum.
I'd like a table large enough for three dutchies. How much wider would you make it for three 14" DO's?
Am thinking 24" x 42" or so.
That should give enough room for a charcoal starter to sit on it along with the DO.

Are these the legs you went with:
http://tinyurl.com/3rjnts

Allen
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Friday 9-12-2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen wrote:
Hey Joanne, you have some impressive metal-working ability. Nice looking welds, they just warm my heart. Cool
The plans for that table would make a great sticky in the forum.
I'd like a table large enough for three dutchies. How much wider would you make it for three 14" DO's?
Am thinking 24" x 42" or so.
That should give enough room for a charcoal starter to sit on it along with the DO.

Are these the legs you went with:
http://tinyurl.com/3rjnts

Allen

Allen,

Thanks so much! I enjoy making "stuff". I think that your table would be big enough for 3 14" ovens and a 10" or two. Laughing If you have the room to haul it, you will have plenty of space to cook on. My only suggestion would be to make the table out of thinner metal. I used 3/16 and it's HEAVY. I can't imagine lifting a 24" x 42" table into the back of my SUV. In fact I'm planning on selling my current table and making a new one with an aluminum top. I need a table large enough for my 20" oven but it has to be light enough for me to move.

The legs that you identified are the same type as I bought. (I think I paid more than that though!) I ended up cutting a few inches off the bottoms so it didn't stand so tall.

Oh yeah, this thread is now a sticky!

Joanne
Wishbone

PostPosted: Saturday 9-13-2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job building your Table. I like those little"Tabs" to hold Wind Screen. My very first table I built was 24"x48". 7ga steel. (Heavy is an understatement) I had the shop where I bought the steel from bend the Front & Back up 45 degees. I rounded the corners with My Angle Grinder. We have a Big amount of Alum surplus around Wichita,Ks. We have a place called "The Yard" (used to be The Yard Store) www.yardstore.com/ I make deliveries a couple time a month to them & have gotten to know everyone real good. They have a so much Alum Scrap they dont know how many Tons of it they have. I bought some scrap pieces from them & built a 16"x32" Alum table with fold up legs. I cut the piece of Alum to size with my table saw & carbide blade. You set the blade where it barley cuts through the Alum. Need Full Face shield too. Those Alum Chips Flying are HOT!!! I lined bottom of Table with 1" square Tubing and Pop Riveted to the table top. I used standard Fold up table legs from hardware store. I cut them down so they fit under table and lies flat inside 1" tubing. I didnt bend the front & back up like my steel table & have never had a charcoal roll off yet. Table is a little short for Me but better than cooking on the ground. I got a Sheet of Shinny Diamond Plate Alum & made my wind screens 16" high. I used the small pieces of the Alum hinges I hade left over from windscreens to hold Windscreen to table. I used what are called Clekos. You drill a hole in something and put one of the Clekos in with a special pair of plyers and it holds it in place. They use them in the Aircraft Industry when building planes. The put hundreds of them to hold a Plane Skin on before Riveting then to the Frame. I thinking of building a Bigger Alum table, possably 5f tx 2ft. This way I think,I can cook with 4-12" ovens going at the same time. With a little space on the end for Charcoal Chimmney. I just got a New Sony Didgital Camera & when I figure out how to use it, I'll take some pictures of Old Alum Table & the Build Project of New Alum Table. Finally quit raining. We've had between 6 to 10 inches last 24 hrs. Not from Ike either. We'll proberly get some Rain from it Mon or Tues. So see Ya all later, I'm off to the Kansas State Fair. Later,Wishbone
greekspeedoman

PostPosted: Saturday 2-14-2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: table & tear Reply with quote

Joanne,

I like the table. I've thought about something like this myself. I assume you have used it with your Desert Dawg. Where do you put it for transport?
doitright

PostPosted: Sunday 2-15-2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Table Reply with quote

I have made two tables from scrap that I have around and they work good. I would like to know how thick should the alum. or Stanless steel needs to be for a good table? I do have some old scrap but it may not be thick enough to handle the heat. The first two I have have so much rusting and pitting I would like to go to something other than steel. I have some old tables I can get the legs off and use them.
Kevin
Wishbone

PostPosted: Monday 2-16-2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"ll check My table & see how thick it it for Sure. 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch sould be thick enough. I know mine didnt flex any before I braced it up. If you brace underneath I think You can get by with thinner Alum. I think it takes 700 degrees to melt Alum. The only damage I've seen in My Alum Table is Scratches from from the Legs from Rotating the ovens. Wishbone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: