www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

The Swine Flu and U
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allen

PostPosted: Thursday 4-30-2009 11:07 am    Post subject: The Swine Flu and U Reply with quote

Anyone giving this a 2nd thought?
In my limited spare time I volunteer as an EMT on a local ambulance and it has me concerned.
We usually have food supplies thru the winter months for power outages, etc.
Since there was a mild winter around these parts, we're supplementing those left-over foodstuffs with additional items.
Not having any faith in our leaders in getting their stories straight on what is actually happening, we're preparing for the worst.
Allen
t9e99

PostPosted: Thursday 4-30-2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, just wash your hands and don't breathe. Laughing
Allen

PostPosted: Thursday 4-30-2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t9e99 wrote:
nah, just wash your hands and don't breathe. Laughing

......................................................................................Laughing
If only it was that simple. Wink
chris

PostPosted: Thursday 4-30-2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not terribly concerned, but I am restocking the usual 'winter supplies' that I have let dwindle this spring, and taking extra hand-sanitizing measures(which I do in my line of work anyhow).
Paul

PostPosted: Thursday 4-30-2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to keep stocked-up,

but it's difficult sometimes! Razz
wolfy

PostPosted: Thursday 4-30-2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that you can get a form of the "flu" from that stuff, too Wink
Paul

PostPosted: Thursday 4-30-2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfy wrote:
I know that you can get a form of the "flu" from that stuff, too Wink

Now that's funny! Laughing
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Friday 5-1-2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm keeping watch on the situation. Although the virus has spread worldwide it doesn't appear to be overly lethal compared to other strains. That said, there appears to be a lot of concern in the health industry that this virus could mutate into a very dangerous strain. I'll follow the pubished guidelines to wash my hands and limit touching my face, nose, eyes, or mouth. (Probably not such bad adivice anyway. It would help reduce colds and common flu.)

While I don't believe in being parinoid, but I do believe in being prepared. It just makes sense to have a few basic items at hand in the event of an unforeseen event. Here in the US the government makes no secret that they can not guarantee help for 3 or more days.

Joanne
DG TX

PostPosted: Saturday 5-2-2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you consider what seems to be the soarce of the sow-cold thing, I see no reason to be parinoid. I mean, just look at mexico Rolling Eyes
I would have closed the borders a long time ago(years). But only politicians can do that and THEY NEED VOTES Thumbs Down Don't want to make anyone mad even if the USA and it's citizens suffer! Thumbs Down
I ain't for throwin' caution to the wind either...
Allen

PostPosted: Wednesday 6-10-2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on the swine flu.
Just because its isolated doesn't mean it can't get to you.
Unfortunately we happen to live one of those "isolated" spots.

The first school district in the state of Pennsylvania to be closed due to the swine flu is 3 miles from me.
The first swine flu related death in Pennsylvania occured in my town.
The highest count of swine flu cases in Pennsylvania is in my county.

Thats it, I'm going into our bunker and not coming out...

http://www.health.state.pa.us/H1N1Map/
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/update.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/
Quote:
A New Virus Emerges

Novel influenza A (H1N1) is a new flu virus of swine origin that was first detected in Mexico and the United States in March and April, 2009. The first novel H1N1 patient in the United States was confirmed by laboratory testing at CDC on April 15, 2009. The second patient was confirmed on April 17, 2009. It was quickly determined that the virus was spreading from person-to-person. On April 22, CDC activated its Emergency Operations Center to better coordinate the public health response. On April 26, 2009, the United States Government declared a public health emergency.

Itís thought that novel influenza A (H1N1) flu spreads in the same way that regular seasonal influenza viruses spread; mainly through the coughs and sneezes of people who are sick with the virus.

Since the outbreak began in the United States, an increasing number of U.S. states have reported cases of novel H1N1 influenza with associated hospitalizations and deaths. By June 3, 2009, all 50 states in the United States and the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico were reporting cases of novel H1N1 infection. While nationwide U.S. influenza surveillance systems indicate that overall influenza activity is decreasing in the country at this time, novel H1N1 outbreaks are ongoing in parts of the U.S., in some cases with intense activity.

Itís uncertain at this time how serious or severe this novel H1N1 virus will be in terms of how many people infected will develop serious complications or die or how this new virus may affect the U.S. during its upcoming influenza season in the fall and winter. Because this is a new virus, most people will have little or no immunity against it, and illness may be more severe and widespread as a result. In addition, currently there is no vaccine to protect against this novel H1N1 virus. CDC anticipates that there will be more cases, more hospitalizations and more deaths associated with this new virus.

At this time, most people who have become ill with novel H1N1 in the United States have recovered without requiring medical treatment and have experienced typical flu symptoms.

CDC is continuing to watch the situation carefully, to support the public health response and to gather information about this virus and its characteristics.

paddlefoot

PostPosted: Wednesday 6-10-2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing my part to rid the country of this dreaded disease!!

Baddd

Paul

PostPosted: Wednesday 6-10-2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in Florida last March I was surprised to see people selling these little piglets at the flea market. Definitely not your "Pot Belly" pet pig variety either...lol. I'm pretty sure these little buggers were wild boars. Had a hard time explaining to the kids why a boar wouldn't make a good pet! Laughing
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wednesday 6-10-2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paddlefoot wrote:
I'm doing my part to rid the country of this dreaded disease!!

Baddd

Crying You killed Wilber........oh well, fire up the smoker!! Thumbs Up

Joanne
Big D

PostPosted: Wednesday 6-10-2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Joanne!
Pass the applesauce! Baddd
wolfy

PostPosted: Wednesday 6-10-2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from a Pig-Q with Kud and Mick, their wives and several other aficianados of Wild Hawgs from the wilds of the west TX plains. It was danged good......I was surprised that it had no wild taste a'tall!

I tasted and TASTED, but could find no "gaminess" whatsoever. There was no genitalia left on the carcase, so we didn't know if it was a boar or a sow, but it was danged good.

If there's no prollem' the next time.....I hope Mick's supplier includes the oysters with the hawg. I like a little spice in my Q Gold Tooth Smile:

Last edited by wolfy on Thursday 6-11-2009 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Home Life All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: