www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

being prepared
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doitright

PostPosted: Friday 3-13-2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: being prepared Reply with quote

I will open this baby.
I live in a area that is to have a big earthquake in the future. I would like suggestions on what type of food to have and how to store water. I would like to have it so I can store it and leave it alone. I know me and I would not store water and rotate it out. So any ideas for water. I have one large tank of propane 250 gal. set aside. (no cost to me) free just had to get it out of the persons yard. So heating and cooking is ok I just need to know about water and food storage. I also have a 15 gal. tank I used to transport gas to a friend years ago after a hurricane. But to store gas for a long time it just scares me so I will not do that. We are surrounded by bridges and they would be gone and gas would not help. I would like to be able to do this with as little money spent as I can.
Kevin
Ps I am no survivalist by no means. I only own three guns. My wife is so scared of them I had to put the guns one place in the house and the ammo outside locked up in the shed. Heck I would be afraid they would blow up if I did use them. They may be good enough to drive tent stakes and that is about it.
t9e99

PostPosted: Friday 3-13-2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know what the shelf life of water is but i'm sure it's not that long.

food: cans, cans, cans... that's really about it for long term storage not involving power. you'd still want to check once in a while.. i had a can in my cupboard spring a leak and make a mess..

everything else is definitely shorter term.

i think you may want to come up with a timeline you're trying to survive in.. a week, a month or a year.. ?? and then go from there.

i'd also stock up a bit on another source of fuel because you just never know.
Personally I have: wood, charcoal, LP and gasoline. i can cook 3 meals a day for a week on about a quart of gasoline using my compact stove.
probably a dozen meals on a bag of charcoal and a good while on the LP and wood.

if i had to heat my house at the same time.. well, my choices are very limited so most likely i'd be wearing hat and gloves in here. Laughing
Wishbone

PostPosted: Saturday 3-14-2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a Google search on LDS Church. There is a place where it tells shelf life on foods & where to buy can Goods. Seen this post on IDOS fourm years ago. When we went to the IDOS Spring Convention in 2004 there was an Exhibitor that had Freeze dried & Dehydreated Foods in #10 cans. What caught my Eye was a can of Freeze Dried T-Bone Steaks. Man that ain't Right. Wishbone
dmb90260

PostPosted: Saturday 3-14-2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t9e99 wrote:
i don't know what the shelf life of water is but i'm sure it's not that long.

If it is sealed I know of no reason water would go bad. It might develop a funky flavor from some containers but go bad? I doubt it. I have one or two containers of 20 yr old water in the back of the garage. Now to find a volunteer taster.
just remember to bring along your Dutch Ovens!!

The Buzz In The Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
Wishbone

PostPosted: Saturday 3-14-2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not buy Dehydrated Water. Gold Tooth Smile: Lol Wishbone
mikeschn

PostPosted: Saturday 3-14-2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishbone wrote:

Hey, I got some of that in the back yard. You wanna buy some?

Mike...
dmb90260

PostPosted: Saturday 3-14-2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeschn wrote:
Wishbone wrote:

Hey, I got some of that in the back yard. You wanna buy some?

Mike...

Is it white and cold?

doitright

PostPosted: Saturday 3-14-2009 10:02 am    Post subject: being ready Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good advice and I will have to check my back yard for some of the dehydrated water. If we could only bottle it.
My house was built in 1946 and I am sure if it is still standing after a earthquake it would not be safe to stay in. I hope my campers would be able to bounce and survive.
Heat and cooking 250 gal. of propane should last a year for heat and cooking out of my camper.
Food have little to none in the camper will have to change that.
Food storage is a problem outside in the camper can goods my not do good freezing and thawing over the winter.
Water ?????????? I have two 7 gal. tanks I will put water in. I am going to get the water plant here check it every 6 weeks so I can find out how long it will be good for.
cooling I have a battery fan but that would not last long.
Ice box would not last long but my large camper has a full size ref. - freezer that will work on propane.
First aid always have several kits at least two in each camper
.One thing to remember is that the government did not know where the Gulf Coast was for a week after Katrina. So have at least one week of food and water on hand.

Mike I checked out your site has lots of good information.
Kevin
dmb90260

PostPosted: Saturday 3-14-2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: being ready Reply with quote

doitright wrote:

My house was built in 1946 and I am sure if it is still standing after a earthquake it would not be safe to stay in. I hope my campers would be able to bounce and survive.

That depends on how it is made. Bricks, not good but if it is basic frame construction it could rock and roll and remaind standing. The base of the frame does need to be bolted to the foundation.

There has been a change in earthquake survival techniques. Do not stand in the doorway, lie down next to something sturdy.. a bed, desk, stove, filing cabinets, anything big and rather solid to keep the roof off of you. That is where all the "hollows" are where they find survivors.

fogcrawler
Founding Member

PostPosted: Sunday 3-15-2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one thing...
Will stowing away canned and processed food cause me to desire 27 wives? Wink

PostPosted: Sunday 3-15-2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fogcrawler wrote:
Just one thing...
Will stowing away canned and processed food cause me to desire 27 wives? Wink

You can desire all of them you want. Having more than one is the issue. Cool

t9e99

PostPosted: Monday 3-16-2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, can's don't do good at all if/when they freeze and then thaw.

well the water won't go bad, per se, but it will either go nasty stale (if it was sterile from the beginning) or it will go green and that's just not drinkable without some kind of treatment.
Miriam

PostPosted: Monday 3-16-2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water---add 10 drops of bleach per gallon and it will last. You can refresh the bleach every year or so. Keep it out of the sun or it will grow algae. Also store in glass bottles if you can. Mice will find your water and make a hole to drink. They like fresh water too.

Canned goods are not good unless you are going to rotate them. Dried foods will last longer but again need to be in mouse proof containers.

Back when Y2K was supposed to happen we did look into storing some things. Rice will last forever if stored right. 2002 I started passing out stuff to anyone who wanted it. We had an excel list of enough stuff to be nutritionally sound for a full year and feed 30-40 people.

One thing you really need is to commit to eating and rotating what you store except rice...........

Earthquake is an issue along the Mississippi and it might take weeks for us to get to you---but we will come. Thumbs Up

Amazingly the people going into the Super Dome didn't hear me when I yelled for them to run the other way. Thinking Sometimes safe is not in a crowd.

And a few thousand trash bags would have worked wonders to sanitation and moral.
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Monday 3-16-2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miriam wrote:

Canned goods are not good unless you are going to rotate them. Dried foods will last longer but again need to be in mouse proof containers.

I tend to think of my food supplies as a large pantry. I simply restock what I use. I don't have the room or money to have a serious food "warehouse" with a large quanty of food. My focus is primarily to be prepared for a 2-3 week event. Beyond that would require an additional level of committment.

Quote:

Back when Y2K was supposed to happen <snip>

I don't think most folks realize just how serious the Y2K issue really was. At my work I spent 2 1/2 years heading the project to correct all the software for Y2K. Our software systems would have absolutely failed had we not fixed them. I also know a lot of folks in IT throughout various industries who also spent a lot of time making sure things went smooth.

It's ironic that we spent all that time making sure that nothing happened. Thinking We did our job well and the systems performed flawlessly. Unfortunately a lot of people think it was all "Chicken Little" hype.

I did have to shake my head at some of the silly things that came up during those times. We received checklist from another state agency that included items like verifying that the coffee machine's clock was Y2K compatible! Another agency wanted us to spend the majority of our time documenting what we intended to do rather than actually doing it. We were fortunate to have management's support to get the job done right.

Joanne
t9e99

PostPosted: Monday 3-16-2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One thing you really need is to commit to eating and rotating what you store except rice...........

legumes too..

but i don't know if i agree with you on the dried food v. canned.. i'm sure depends what it is that one's storing..

the 10 drops of bleach per gallon is way too much imho. maybe per a 35gal drum... google chlorine, it's a deadly poison. i did the math on this once and i think it was maybe like a T or 2 per 55gal drum at most for the water to be palatable.

Quote:
According to EPA, allowable chlorine levels in drinking water (up to 4 parts per million) pose “no known or expected health risk [including] an adequate margin of safety” while providing for “control of pathogens under a variety of conditions.”

most of treated water in the states has about 1ppm of chlorine though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Home Life All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: