www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Horseradish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Sauces, Rubs & Marinades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justmike

PostPosted: Saturday 9-20-2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Horseradish Reply with quote

I've resently started growing my own horseradish. And while my 1st & 2nd attempts turned out okay, they left alot to be desired. Any suggestions or recipe's out there??
Mike
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sunday 9-21-2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Horseradish Reply with quote

justmike wrote:
I've resently started growing my own horseradish. And while my 1st & 2nd attempts turned out okay, they left alot to be desired. Any suggestions or recipe's out there??
Mike

We don't grow things here in Vegas. We import everthing from somewhere else! I wish I lived somewhere that we had locally grown produce.

Joanne
justmike

PostPosted: Sunday 9-21-2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Horseradish Reply with quote

Joanne wrote:

We don't grow things here in Vegas. We import everything from somewhere else! I wish I lived somewhere that we had locally grown produce.

Joanne

You know, Joanne, when I used to live in Vegas, there was a white grape plant in my back yard. I used to joke that my dog grew them because that's the only moister they ever received.
Mike
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Monday 9-22-2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Horseradish Reply with quote

justmike wrote:
Joanne wrote:

We don't grow things here in Vegas. We import everything from somewhere else! I wish I lived somewhere that we had locally grown produce.

Joanne

You know, Joanne, when I used to live in Vegas, there was a white grape plant in my back yard. I used to joke that my dog grew them because that's the only moister they ever received.
Mike

Isn't that the truth! We've been in a drought for years and years. The lake is lower than it's ever been since it was filled originally. It would be great if we would get into a wet cycle before we all dry up and blow away.

Joanne
Oysterpot

PostPosted: Tuesday 9-23-2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Horseradish Reply with quote

justmike wrote:
Mike

Mike, How long have you been growing your Horseradish? I hope you don't have it where it can damage or take over other desireable plants. If you do, your in for a war. Laughing I started with one cutting and now have over 40 plants. Yes I have been harvesting. I have it isolated in my garden and roto till in one direction so as not to help the spread.
Round Up will kill the volunteers. Just don't spray the main plant.

The only thing I have done with it is make "prepared Horseradish".

Clean it,
Cut up in small chunks
put in blender and chop it up.
Add about 1/2 tsp salt and 1Tbs to 1/4 cup white vinegar to pulp and mix well. The sooner you put in the vinegar the hotter the mix will be. (I think) I just know that the fresh stuff is better than the store bought.

The mix will be good for about 1 week in frig. It also freezes.
It doesn't take much to get a good size batch.

I use the Cocktail Sauce as my salad dressing (no oil) I call it the poor mans Shrimp Coctail.

Enjoy.

PS Google horseradish, you will find uses and recipes.

OP
justmike

PostPosted: Tuesday 9-23-2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks OP, this is the 3rd year & it took right off! so I've been digging the whole thing up, replanting it & throwing away the extra. I don't know if it'll work or not, Iguess time will tell, so long as it dosn't get into my asperigas.
I've noticed the older growth is hotter but much tougher, do you use the new growth or the old growth, too.
Mike
Oysterpot

PostPosted: Tuesday 9-23-2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fancy that .... It was my asparagus that I was protecting as well. There ain't nothin going to threaten my asparagus with out a fight. Even if I have to sleep out there at night. Arrrg!

What I do is harvest 1 row and roto till the other row under. You will be surprised at how many new plants you get.

I leave the "tenacles" and harvest the tough center root.
justmike

PostPosted: Wednesday 9-24-2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oysterpot wrote:
Fancy that .... It was my asparagus that I was protecting as well. There ain't nothin going to threaten my asparagus with out a fight. Even if I have to sleep out there at night. Arrrg!

I agree completly," Arrrg!" ,Thanks agian for the advise. :Smile 1: MIKE
dmb90260

PostPosted: Wednesday 9-24-2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justmike wrote:
Oysterpot wrote:

I agree completly," Arrrg!" ,Thanks agian for the advise. :Smile 1: MIKE

Back in my long ago childhood, we never planted asparagus. We just cruised along the fence posts where the birds had planted the seeds naturally. Laughing The problem was back then I did "not get asparagus."
just remember to bring along your Dutch Ovens!!

The Buzz In The Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Sauces, Rubs & Marinades All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: