www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Quick Weekender on the Water

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Behind the Woodshed
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aggroman
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Monday 1-29-2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Quick Weekender on the Water Reply with quote

I posted this on my fishing forum, but thought some of you might like it. Even cooked in some cast iron for supper.

In the last 15 years, I have never gone more than a month or so without fishing. For a long time it was 1-2 times a week. Well, times have changed. Work, family, etc. It's been seven months. No idea how I let that happen. But this past weekend, I took off and headed south to Amistad. It was going to be a quick trip, but I didn't care. I met up with a buddy, who was already down there, at the Rough Canyon boat ramp around 3pm Saturday. I threw my fishing and camping gear in the boat and we were gone. I didn't get to take the yak, but we had a canoe that we put on the big boat for the 10 mile trip up stream. We went last year in February, and caught more whites, striper, smallies, and blacks than I ever had in one trip. We hoped this would be the same this time. Unfortunately, it was a lot tougher this time. We caught fish, but in fewer quantities and quality. The biggest thing I caught was a 3 pound tilapia that got in the way of my crank. My buddy said the weather had been pretty lame since Wednesday and I knew it was supposed to clear up and the wind calm down. And man, did it ever. Sunday was absolutely gorgeous. It was warm, and the water was smooth as glass.

Here are some more from yesterday and Saturday evening.

We ate pretty good too. Pork chops, beans, and sliced taters and onions.

Saturday night I tried to work with the stars, but the moon had other ideas. Long exposures and a big moon don't go together. Not what I was hoping for, but beggars can't be choosers. :Smile 1: This one was taken at midnight. Some stars visible, but it looks more like daytime.

I can't wait to get back down there.

Scott
David Hughes

PostPosted: Monday 1-29-2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow very nice. wish I was closer I'd go to. If not for the view for the meal you cooked, yumm.

Dave
IN GOD WE TRUST
wolfy

PostPosted: Monday 1-29-2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, who got the 3rd chop? Thinking
Brownie

PostPosted: Tuesday 1-30-2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures and yummy looking food. Sometimes you just have to refresh your soul!!!!

Thanks for sharing :-)
Aggroman
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tuesday 1-30-2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank y'all. It really did help me loosen the knots, so to speak. I didn't want to leave. Felt so good to just not think for a while.

Wolfy, that 3rd chop did not go to waste. My buddy had it for breakfast. Laughing
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tuesday 1-30-2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice trip! Somehow we get all wrapped in day-to-day life and find ourselves missing a real life. Trips like this and your "dude's trip" help put it all into better perspective. It's good for the soul.

Those chops were good for the stomach... Wink

Joanne
Aggroman
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wednesday 1-31-2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joanne!

Weird story on the fire. Kyle and his father had been there camping since Wednesday. They brought everything and the kitchen sink. Big wok, fryer, cast iron, etc. They could honestly be camping at that remote location for months. lol. Well, on Thursday, a park ranger came by in a boat, (this is still part of the National Park system), after seeing their fire. He said they couldn't have a ground fire, it had to be elevated. So they drowned the fire and after thinking about it for a while, they built up a rock foundation a few inches high and set the wok on top. (you can see the horseshoe handle in the pic) Then had another fire in that. It worked great, but it made it hard to cook on it. We understood why the need for the elevated fire rule. This particular fire ring had been there for probably decades, but it's amazing how many smaller rings there were around the area. Instead of using the existing, people want their own I guess, and of course, scorch the ground everywhere they decide to plop down a fire. I've been to campsites where it was an eyesore, all the fire rings all over the place. And most rivers around you have to use a fire pan, which is the responsible thing to do anyway. So after doing all that, they didn't cook on it, but more of a warm campfire. But when I got there and saw they had cast iron, I had to try and get it to work. Just built up the coals to get a flat surface and carefully put the iron on. The chops were great, but the taters and onions...out of this world. Thumbs Up Only downside is his great seasoning he had built up through the years on the wok has to be completely redone now.
cphubert

PostPosted: Thursday 2-1-2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post Aggroman, I'm surrounded by ice and still some snow enjoyed your pictures as always. A few years back I received a ticket for an open fire on the ground (in a old fire ring we used for years) while fishing on a cold April morning. Ended up buying a lodge sportsman grill to serve double duty. :Smile 1:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Behind the Woodshed All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: