www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Cooking for Christmas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Behind the Woodshed
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Saturday 12-23-2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Cooking for Christmas? Reply with quote

Hi all,

So this was supposed to be a nice quiet Christmas with minimal cooking. Well, a spiral cut ham and 21 pound bird later it's going to be a full fledged Christmas dinner even if there are only two of us eating. I'm going to break out the 17" MACA for the bird. We used it over Thanksgiving for the turkey and I'm always amazed how beautifully moist they come out. Looking forward to another juicy one on Monday. I'll probably do the rest in the kitchen though. Well, that's not entirely true. I have a double batch of no-knead bread rising in the oven and will bake it off in a 12" deep tomorrow. For me, it's the only way to bake bread. Funny, all my friends ask me to bake them bread for special occasions like birthdays, retirements, and things like that.

What's everyone else cooking this year? Any cast iron involved?

Joanne
Brownie

PostPosted: Sunday 12-24-2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joanne, you made me laugh. You sound like me. For Thanksgiving it was just the two of us and I cooked prime rib (three ribs) and turkey (20 lbs) outside in my dutch ovens. HAHA When I went shopping for Thanksgiving the cashier said "looks like your cooking for a crowd" YIKES

I have cut back for Christmas and am just doing prime rib and all the sides made from scratch....for the two of us.

My husband calls it the feeding of the five thousand.

Have a Merry Christmas!!!!!

Brownie
DG TX

PostPosted: Sunday 12-24-2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids and kin will be here. Not any signs of "cutting back" Laughing Decades of old habits are hard to break!
Canned Black Eyed Peas for New Year? Yeah, you bet... Sad
Aggroman
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tuesday 12-26-2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a lot of good leftovers for sure.

My side of the family decided on a more non-traditional dinner. Lasagna and chicken noodle soup. Then Christmas day it was brisket, polish sausage, and beans. And of course a thousand desserts. It was all excellent, but I did miss not having turkey. We didn't get to go to my wife's family this year, first time in the 25 years i've known her. It's always a big event with a ton of people. (she has 8 siblings). Unfortunately this year, they are spread out from coast to coast. Closest one to us is 7 hours away now. We thought about trying to make a trip, but we both have to work today. But that side always has that traditional Christmas meal. I may make jokes about "in-laws", but I sure did miss not seeing them this year. Hopefully, next year everyone can get together.
jeepdad

PostPosted: Saturday 12-30-2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like good chow all around.

We typically smoke a turkey on Thanksgiving with all the traditional sides and desserts. With the exception of the addition of pineapple stuffing. My MIL was born in Hawaii (she's not Hawaiian however) hence the pineapple.....and it's delicious. And simple to make.

For Christmas Eve I smoke a ribeye roast with homemade horsey sauce, twice baked potatoes, corn and a ceasar salad with homemade croutons.

For Christmas we usually purchase a spiral ham and finger food making it an easy day for all us cooks.

Neighbors asked if I would smoke them a ribeye roast tomorrow (New Year's Eve) and invited us to partake. Ah, "yes" said I. Suppose to be a high of 24 and windy tomorrow.

--Dan

Pineapple Stuffing
Mix the first three ingredients well.
cup butter
1 cup sugar
4 eggs

Fold in drained 1 pound 4 oz can of crushed pineapple.

Fold in 5 slices of bread cubed

Bake 1 hour at 350 in a greased covered casserole dish.
dmb90260

PostPosted: Sunday 12-31-2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be smoking my first prime rib roast today. It is on the small side so I do not have to share Laughing I am following a recipe featured by Camp Chef recently, Christmas was at the brothers and with my injured shoulder i did not do any thing but eat.
just remember to bring along your Dutch Ovens!!

The Buzz In The Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
Outpost Jim

PostPosted: Sunday 12-31-2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had my siblings over for our annual Christmas get together last Tuesday evening. I made Sara's Camp Chicken and Celtic Potatoes for dinner. It was about 15 degrees F outside. For New Years I'm doing our traditional sauerkraut and kielbasa.
dmb90260

PostPosted: Monday 1-1-2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the prime rib done with a couple adjustments due to size. Recipe was for a 10# cut, this was only 4#.

Smoked

Served

We give thee thanks for these fine vitals for the New Year. Gold Tooth Smile:

DG TX

PostPosted: Monday 1-1-2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

800am...Black eyes & smoked ham shanks a cookin'. Will mix up the scratch cornbread and get it to baking.

Yep, old habits are HARD to break Laughing Happy New Year from Texas to all who ride this trail! Thumbs Up
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sunday 1-7-2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

That is a FINE looking meal! (as always...)

Joanne
dmb90260

PostPosted: Monday 1-8-2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joanne wrote:
Dennis,
That is a FINE looking meal! (as always...)
Joanne

It was a lot of meat for one, I plan to reduce the remains to some fine hash n the next day or so.

Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wednesday 1-10-2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally stripped the turkey saving the meat for soup. Then put the carcass in a pot and made some stock for the previously mentioned soup. I'll probably make up a big pot this coming weekend. Trying to decide if I'm going to make my own noodles or just buy them. Never made them before so it might be fun to try.

Joanne
dmb90260

PostPosted: Thursday 1-11-2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joanne wrote:
I finally stripped the turkey saving the meat for soup. Then put the carcass in a pot and made some stock for the previously mentioned soup. I'll probably make up a big pot this coming weekend. Trying to decide if I'm going to make my own noodles or just buy them. Never made them before so it might be fun to try.

Joanne

I make them occasionally using an attachment on my mixer. They turn out thicker than commercial but I like them that way. I have never found any flavored pasta that I like, most are too strong. You should be able to make something not over the top making your own.

Made the hash from the butt end of my roast and it was great, too good to wait for photos. Laughing

DG TX

PostPosted: Friday 1-12-2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joanne wrote:

Joanne

Turkey carcass soup(w/rice) was a favorite at Christmas day family gatherings with our crew years ago when I was a kid. Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Behind the Woodshed All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: