www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

newbie forum questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pothead

PostPosted: Wednesday 11-29-2017 11:04 am    Post subject: newbie forum questions Reply with quote

I just joined. I cook in the back yard for my wife and I and have enough cast iron to be considered an addict.

The reason for joining this group is I'm researching to do a major scale up to cook for 30ish homeless vets (see this vid if interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCwLR7lKfds )... turns out cooking for 30 is a wee bit different than cooking for 2x15!

Forum protocol question: Is it better to start a new topic or resurrect 2 year old threads on the same/similar topic? (one example is questions about liners for dutch ovens... there are existing threads but they're stale).
thanks,
pothead
Aggroman
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wednesday 11-29-2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big howdy from Texas! Welcome aboard!

I don't think it hurts to start a new topic. I agree some can get outdated and who knows, there might be something better on the market at this point or someone may have a new idea on how to do it easier, better, different. I would still read through some of those old posts, because many still hold true today. Any questions...ask away!

Scott
Brownie

PostPosted: Wednesday 11-29-2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, start a new thread.
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wednesday 11-29-2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie forum questions Reply with quote

Pothead wrote:
I just joined. I cook in the back yard for my wife and I and have enough cast iron to be considered an addict.

The reason for joining this group is I'm researching to do a major scale up to cook for 30ish homeless vets (see this vid if interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCwLR7lKfds )... turns out cooking for 30 is a wee bit different than cooking for 2x15!

Forum protocol question: Is it better to start a new topic or resurrect 2 year old threads on the same/similar topic? (one example is questions about liners for dutch ovens... there are existing threads but they're stale).
thanks,
pothead

I'm with Scott on this. Might as well start new threads unless you can find one that's pretty recent that covers your question.

Joanne
SeabeeCook

PostPosted: Thursday 11-30-2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello from the California Mother Lode ...

I wold still read the old threads as you may find an answer to your question. Then post a question in a new thread if you need to.
SeabeeCook on Instagram
'Round the Chuckbox on Facebook
'Round the Chuckbox blog
Pothead

PostPosted: Wednesday 12-6-2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few pics from the Bravo Base homeless vet camp feed Monday night. Fed beef stew to about 35ish people. Made 6 gallons of stew in a 12D, 14shallow, and a 3060 fryer/roaster.

First malfunction is the Camp Chef propane burner runs way too hot on the lowest possible setting, so I moved over to charcoal using the Lodge hibachi under the 3060, putting the 14 over coals in the oil drain pan, and then stacking the 12 on top of the 14. The tub was supposed to work like an oven to keep the 12 warm (eventually want to use it like the camp chef "dome oven" to bake with) but that didn't work out quite so good.

Any way. Thanks for the help in the other posts... after I save up some cash to do it again I plan to add tube biscuits to the menu instead of the bought rolls we served.

dmb90260

PostPosted: Thursday 12-7-2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make a wind break that will fit the oil pan by using old license plates. That should help some when stacking too, Wind breaks can be bought but the lic plates work just as well if you wire them together.

You need a steel "flame tamer" or restricter for the stove. Low temps are hard to control on those stoves. You may have some luck by adjusting the air mix on each burner.

Good luck.
just remember to bring along your Dutch Ovens!!

The Buzz In The Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Say Howdy! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: