www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

tube biscuits?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pothead

PostPosted: Sunday 12-3-2017 8:29 am    Post subject: tube biscuits? Reply with quote

I was going to make tube biscuits for 30 people (2 each = 60 biscuits). My from scratch biscuits are terrible and the Pillsbury Grands are on sale for $1/tube.

According to https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/smaller-circles-in-larger-circle-d_1849.html
and Number of Circles =(0.83(R^2/r^2))−1.9
(rounded down to whole number) where: R= radius of larger circle r = radius of smaller circle

I can fit either 15 or 16 3inch tube biscuits into a #14 camp oven. That would require 4 batches or (4 #14s!!!!).

In an antique post, Pony Rider mentioned he fit 60(!) in a #12 by putting the biscuits on edge. There were semi-incredulous "how" questions at that time but no clear answers.

Has anybody done this??? Do you pull them apart from the can at all? I assume only the top and bottom edge will brown? Any before and after pics??
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sunday 12-3-2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: tube biscuits? Reply with quote

Pothead wrote:
I was going to make tube biscuits for 30 people (2 each = 60 biscuits). My from scratch biscuits are terrible and the Pillsbury Grands are on sale for $1/tube.

According to https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/smaller-circles-in-larger-circle-d_1849.html
and Number of Circles =(0.83(R^2/r^2))−1.9
(rounded down to whole number) where: R= radius of larger circle r = radius of smaller circle

I can fit either 15 or 16 3inch tube biscuits into a #14 camp oven. That would require 4 batches or (4 #14s!!!!).

In an antique post, Pony Rider mentioned he fit 60(!) in a #12 by putting the biscuits on edge. There were semi-incredulous "how" questions at that time but no clear answers.

Has anybody done this??? Do you pull them apart from the can at all? I assume only the top and bottom edge will brown? Any before and after pics??

To tell the truth, I've never baked biscuits on edge. A lot of folks were doing it a few years back. From what I can remember they would open the tube of biscuits, placing them into the oven one-by-one. I think some folks were painting one side with melted butter so they would pull apart easier. You are correct that they only brown on the top and bottom edges. I also remember that some folks were using a metal tube in the center to help the biscuits in the middle bake all the way through.

You might want to try a test run with a smaller batch if you have a small oven around.

Unfortunately PonyRide passed away a few years ago so we can't reach out to him for additional information.

Joanne
CWallyD
Pied Piper of Cast Iron

PostPosted: Sunday 12-3-2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coleen Sloan at Log Cabin Grub made a post couple weeks ago about standing biscuits on edge.Pony riders wife is still around. Audrey Elliot
Reach out to her she may be able to help
dmb90260

PostPosted: Monday 12-4-2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done this. I was cooking for 30-40 people so i went with Walmart house brand. It has been a while but I recall using two ovens, no deeps. I do not think I had any sticking issues but parchment paper on the bottom might make things easier.
Pull them apart and start on one side and go around, start an inner circle when each one is done..
I do not recall having any pictures. the bottom and top edges will brown some but they bake fine. Use the temp and time on the can but watch closely.
I had them with Mountain Man Breakfast.
Not a single complaint. Have plenty butter, jam and honey ready
just remember to bring along your Dutch Ovens!!

The Buzz In The Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260

PostPosted: Monday 12-4-2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a picture included in this weekend cook, two DO on the right side of Mountain Man.

http://camp-cook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4837&highlight=biscuits

If the link does not work, search for Weekend Cook and there are more (a little darker) under Weekend Cooking.
I now have a 14 DO for doing the whomp biscuits (whomp is the sound when you smack them on the edge Laughing )

ChadVKealey

PostPosted: Monday 12-4-2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I have no advice on baking them on edge, but I can say that deep vs. shallow may affect how many biscuits you can pack in there.

For example, our scout troop has several deep Cabela's brand 14" ovens. The base of their deep 14" ovens is actually the same exact diameter (internally) as a shallow 12" Lodge. Also, my deep 12" Lodge's base is the same size as a 10" shallow Lodge.

So, I've learned that you can squeeze 16 Grands-type biscuits (I'm partial to Aldi's store brand) into a shallow 12" Lodge or a deep 14" Cabelas. A couple might be "buckled" a bit, so presentation isn't great. Buckled or not, once you smother them in sausage gravy, nobody really cares.
goodmanrl1

PostPosted: Tuesday 12-5-2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Son and I made biscuits and gravy for 75 Fathers and Sons on a church campout. We used Krusteaz buttermilk mix. While I heated the two 14 inch ovens, he mixed the dough. Admittedly, I did push the heat up by setting the ovens on a full bed of coals and loading the lids completely, but you can bake a lot of biscuits that way. You have to check them often so you don't burn them and take them off the bottom heat half way through. We like to put a dob of butter flavored Crisco in the Heated DO and when it melts, roll the dough both sides in it before sliding them into position. Once I started baking, my Son started the sausage cooking. As the biscuits were done, we placed them in paper bags to stay warm and not sweat. I timed them so the batches came out in an alternating cycle. I had most of the biscuits cooked by the time the gravy was ready and we started serving. Most of those Fathers and Sons had seconds, some thirds.

Please don't settle for tube biscuits when you can easily do the real thing.
Pothead

PostPosted: Wednesday 12-6-2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys... that gives me something to go on.
Fed 35ish homeless vets at Bravo Base Monday night. I used pre-baked rolls because all of my big iron was tied up with 6 gallons of stew.

I'll play around with stacking the tube biscuits in a small 8 tonight and see how that goes.
Brownie

PostPosted: Wednesday 12-6-2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to side with Goodman. Real homemade biscuits with bisquik are really easy and good. If you use enough charcoal to get about 425 degrees you will have a fresh batch of biscuits every 8 - 10 minutes.

But even if you chose to use tube biscuits the same thing applies. If you are using a 14" DO, I would put 11 coals on the bottom and completely cover the top of the DO. Keep an eye on it because they cook fast. When you can smell them, they are done or within a minute or two of being done. I would think if you have two 14" or even two 12" you could get enough biscuits cooked for 35 people to start them out and then throw in a second batch.

They cook so fast you will not even need to add more charcoal.

What fun and what a blessing to the homeless vets!!
Pothead

PostPosted: Thursday 12-7-2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I played with biscuits on edge in a 8CO last night.
The 8 would hold (forcibly) 4 biscuits flat on the bottom. I put in 10 on edge. There was room to pack in a few more, but the tubes were 5 biscuits each and I wasn't going to get in 5 more, so "good enough".

I did 16 coals, 11 top and 5 bottom for starters.

For some reason... I had it in my head that baking time was to follow instructions on the tube. Looking back on it, that doesn't make sense... there will be a LOT more dough (mass) in the oven than what the tube instructions are for.

Anyway... it took 50 minutes to bake, which meant the biscuits were ready for desert vs. eating with the meal. Oh well.
I ended up moving all but 4 coals to the bottom as the top seemed to get done first... but that is probably due to the 8CO being extremely shallow for this experiment. The bottom was ALMOST over done, but turned out fine.

Something strange is going on with the site search... I couldn't find the original Pony Rider post back that launched this, but I did find another old thread on the topic. All the pics have rotted off, but the instructions work.
http://www.camp-cook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4510
40 biscuits in a 10"
60 biscuits in a 12"
80 biscuits in a 14"
120 biscuits in a 16'
dmb90260

PostPosted: Friday 12-8-2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 14" is sort of reserved for this job. Home/hand made are best but time &/or lack of help can call forth the whomp biscuits. Cool Thumbs Up
One thing about CI Cooking is there are usually other options.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: