www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Big Bend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Behind the Woodshed
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aggroman
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wednesday 11-29-2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Big Bend Reply with quote

My son and I just got back from our 5th Annual Dude's Trip a couple of weeks ago. And what a trip it was. Since he was 11, we decided to make a trip every year, on or around, my birthday. Just me and him, and do something we love, and the girls... probably won't. Backpacking, hiking tall peaks, kayaking wild rivers, and some amazingly crazy adventures. Some cost a lot, while others were bare bones. I figured if I started early, no matter where we are in life at that time, creating this tradition will always bring us together for years to come, even if i'm a grandpa or a great-grandpa. It will still be our week, our trip, just me and my boy. Of course, once the great-grandpa part hits we may need to look at local State Parks with wheel chair accessibility. Laughing We still have our regular family vacations, and I always do special things with my daughter, but this is the one time I can let my receding hair down and just go outdoor crazy like I want. Like he wants. And it being my birthday, even my wife goes along with it. Laughing Laughing Laughing

This year we headed down south and spent 5 days in Big Bend National Park. We racked up many, many miles of hiking and seeing some of the most incredible country i've ever seen. It's been 20 years since I was last down here.

I'm working on a full trip report with a ton of photos, but thought i'd throw out this preview. We cooked out every night in a small propane grill (no fires in the park) and ate very well. All the while, most nights we had a pack of six javalinas within fifteen feet to keep us on our toes to make sure we didn't leave anything behind. I hope to have Part 1 finished up this week and will post up.

Chisos Basin and the Milky Way.

The Wild Child

Rio Grande Valley

The Window Trail

The Great Rio Grande in Big Bend Ranch State Park

Stay Tuned,
Scott
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thursday 11-30-2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

I think traditions like yours are so important in building a life-long relationship with your boy. No matter what life brings, those memories will be with him as long as he lives. You too of course! Hopefully that tradition will carry on between your son and his children when that day comes.

Beautiful preview pictures! I'm looking forward to seeing the full set. I've always wanted to shoot the Milky Way but my old old Nikon has so many hot pixels that I can't get a decent image. Starting to toy with the idea of a new camera. Thinking

Joanne
cphubert

PostPosted: Thursday 11-30-2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, great tradition hope you never need the wheelchair. I can't wait to see the rest of your post. Amazing milky way, I always look forward to your work. Wish you and your son a long memorable journey.
David Hughes

PostPosted: Friday 12-1-2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Aggroman can you adopt me as you other wild child for your next Annual Dude's Trip? I wanna go too. Gold Tooth Smile:

Dave
Aggroman
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Saturday 12-2-2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank y'all!.

And yes Dave, I could always use another wild child...just don't expect a weekly allowance. Laughing
Trapper

PostPosted: Sunday 12-3-2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos. A year ago I traded my film camera gear for a DSLR. Iíve been playing with it a bit but plan to do much more now that Im not so busy.

The instruction book is 602 pages.

Trapper
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sunday 12-3-2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trapper wrote:
Great photos. A year ago I traded my film camera gear for a DSLR. Iíve been playing with it a bit but plan to do much more now that Im not so busy.

The instruction book is 602 pages.

Trapper

Laughing Yeah, back in the day we set the ASA, shutter speed, aperture, focused, then pushed the button. Didn't need 602 pages to explain that. Now the cameras a very feature rich and can take a long while to really get the settings right.

Joanne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Behind the Woodshed All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: