www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Seasoning a 22 inch MACA Dutch oven

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John

PostPosted: Tuesday 5-23-2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Seasoning a 22 inch MACA Dutch oven Reply with quote

Hi all,

A friend of mine recently purchased a 22 in MACA dutch oven and is in need of ideas on how to season the monster. Anyone out there have any tips or methods on how to season the big oven.

Thanks

John Thinking
ChadVKealey

PostPosted: Tuesday 5-23-2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Seasoning a 22 inch MACA Dutch oven Reply with quote

John wrote:
Hi all,

A friend of mine recently purchased a 22 in MACA dutch oven and is in need of ideas on how to season the monster. Anyone out there have any tips or methods on how to season the big oven.

Thanks

John Thinking

Deep fry a bison? Baddd
John

PostPosted: Tuesday 5-23-2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably big enough to do that!
BIGDADDYBR549

PostPosted: Wednesday 5-24-2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to get Cary to comment on this, he seasoned on last year. Can't remember how tho
Trapper

PostPosted: Saturday 6-3-2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a big 80 lb Maca. And yeah, they don't come preseasoned. I cook 22 lb turkeys in it. I seasoned it on my propane grill. My grill is pretty big and the cover just barely closed over the DO.

I just coated the Maca with Crisco and turned it upside down on the grill after I cleaned the grill really well. I preheated the grill to it's highest temperature and left the DO in the grill for an hour. I shut the grill off and let everything cool and then repeated the process.

I use this same process for all my cast iron.

Trapper
The Teardrop Nanny

PostPosted: Monday 9-4-2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Seasoning the MACA monster Reply with quote

Well, you season it in a bigger one of course! Clever

But seriously,
the last four times we've done the 22 inch MACA we did it in the coals with the deep pit BBQ. If you can find a club that does have a pit (like the rodeo folks, Rotary Club or VFW) find out when they will be doing their underground cooking and see if you can place it in their pit then.

Joanie the Teardrop Nanny (in my avatar I am in our 20" oven)

Life is uncertain....eat dessert first....preferably one cooked in a Dutch Oven.
Outpost Jim

PostPosted: Sunday 9-17-2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be impractical, but I know a fellow who helped season a big Maca in a heat treat oven at an aerospace shop. Unfortunately, these shops are not on every corner.

You could probably build a "temporary" oven using cinder blocks and a lot of charcoal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: