www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Catering Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Catering & Cooking for Crowds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John

PostPosted: Tuesday 7-25-2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Catering Question Reply with quote

Hi All,

I don't catering very often but I do get asked to do an event from time to time and it seems like in the last couple years it's been getting more and more.

The question I have is what do you guys who do it more than I do, charge for your services. I've never really set up a fee that I charge and when I do it, I just have the folks reimburse me for the groceries and then whatever they want to give me over that is good with me.

Normally the events I have done are less than 40 people, but if it keeps up like it has been I don't know if this is going to evolve into something bigger or not.

Just wondering what others do .... Thinking

Thanks for any input.....

John
dmb90260

PostPosted: Wednesday 7-26-2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I cannot be of more help. I donate my services 3-4 times a year. I do add in my gas prices since it is 50 mile drive each day and costs for some specific supplies if they are added. Over time I have amassed most of the hardware aside from CI supplies, tables,serving things, some cook items, trays & sterno items. These events are out in the "wild" with no services so I tend to bring everything but the kitchen sink ( and I have plastic service trays for that.)

If I was to charge I would start at $2 a plate over expenses. Often I do some prep work at home, chopping vegs etc, and that time needs to added in also.
Then you need to figure some kind of hourly rate for your cook time.
just remember to bring along your Dutch Ovens!!

The Buzz In The Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
John

PostPosted: Wednesday 7-26-2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis, I appreciate the input. Your suggestion sounds like a good one!

Normally people are pretty generous about the "donation" they give me over my expenses so I'm normally good with that. It's usually close friends or Charitable organizations so I hate setting a fee for them. I'm usually good as long as I don't go in the red for the event.

Lately I've been getting calls from people that I don't know that have heard what I do and it's more for that kind of thing that I really need to get something set.

John
dmb90260

PostPosted: Thursday 7-27-2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider is what they plan on charging, at least the maximum so you know if there is room for a profit. Then should you get more jobs you will eventually need insurance and probably a license. Good luck.
just remember to bring along your Dutch Ovens!!

The Buzz In The Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
John

PostPosted: Thursday 7-27-2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis.....appreciate the advice! Thumbs Up
SeabeeCook

PostPosted: Tuesday 8-22-2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to treat it like a business by making sure all your costs (food, labor, transportation, fuel, insurance, etc.) are covered before you present your proposal. Catering is not cheap. That's why professional caterers will charge $20 plus per plate for a simple meal of pulled pork, beans and slaw.
'Round the Chuckbox on Facebook
'Round the Chuckbox blog
FFdoug

PostPosted: Friday 8-25-2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done some "demo catering" over the years. I have learned to ask the host what they budgeted for the demos. Then I plan a meal within their budget, so they can write me a check for their budgeted number.
Another thing I have done, and have had very good luck with, is trading a demo for two or three night camping at the park. Plus the cost of food.
Local agency's are very happy with this arrangement.
I recently did a 9 pot, demo cook for 30 naturalists. They wanted info to go back to their parks, and do their own demo's.
The lead naturalist told me I would have no problem collecting $5.00 per plate. Which on this particular cook, would of paid for the groceries. BUT--I got 4 nights of free camping in the park, ($18.00 per night) only because the demo was on Thursday evening.
I realize that this is not "catering", but it might help.
You could double your grocery costs, as a starting point.
Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Catering & Cooking for Crowds All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: