www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Temperature Control With a Deep Oven

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indytom

PostPosted: Friday 6-16-2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Temperature Control With a Deep Oven Reply with quote

I was breaking in some new iron tonight and ran into something I have not seen before. I was baking a cobbler in a new Lodge 10 deep, eight on bottom and 12 on top. For the first 45 min of the cook everything seemed fine. At 45 min, I added a few additional coals to replace those that had burned down. At one hour, normally I am done, so I checked and the crust was still very soft and not at all brown. I started adding coals and checking every 15 min. Eventually, the entire top was covered in coals. Finally at about an hour and a half I saw a little browning. More coals. It was lightly golden brown right at 2 hours. I have never had a cobbler take anywhere near that long.
There were two things about tonight that were different. This was my first time using a deep oven. Could that have made a difference? The oven was only about half full, so there was some distance between the crust and the heat. The other difference is that this is the first Lodge DO I have ever seen where the lid does not fit really well. There is a little bit of rock when the oven is cold and it only gets worse as the oven heats up. Could an ill-fitting lid have caused my issues?
I am stumped so I hope someone has some ideas that can help.

Tom
BIGDADDYBR549

PostPosted: Sunday 6-18-2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indy, I think you called it right. The combination of the deeper oven and being only half full left so much head space the radiant heat just did'nt reach it well. I run into that when cooking whole chickens in a deep oven. About 3/4 of the way through the cook I fire up the top to get the browning of the skin, sometimes put a horseshoe under the lid so some steam will come out letting the skin crisp better. I don't think a little wobble on the lid should hurt.
jakeway

PostPosted: Wednesday 6-28-2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first DO was a 12" Deep, and I always added a few more coals on top than the traditional formula. I've seen it somewhere in a chart (Lodge CI Cooking booklet?) where they had different formulas for deep DOs.
Indytom

PostPosted: Wednesday 6-28-2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, I have read it somewhere in just the last couple of days, for a deep oven, to add 2 or 3 extra coals to the top of the oven. I am really enjoying getting accustomed to the deep ovens. Even when it turns out wrong , and I am not happy with it, it still turns out pretty good. Laughing Laughing

Tom
ChadVKealey

PostPosted: Thursday 6-29-2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently got a deep Lodge 12" and have used it for a cobbler, frying bonuts (biscuit dough donuts), and making sausage gravy.

The cobbler (http://dutchovenmadness.blogspot.com/2010/12/day-345-patriotic-patty-cobbler.html) didn't brown like I wanted it to, even with the extra coals on top, so I guess I'll have to do some more work on that.

For frying bonuts, the lid was only used to help get the oil hot enough.

For the sausage gravy, piling a bunch of coals on the lid helped keep it nice and hot while I baked biscuits in my standard depth oven (for reference, 2 tubes of Grands biscuits will fit into a 12" oven if you squish 'em a bit; the only downside is that they cook up a little "buckled").
Indytom

PostPosted: Thursday 6-29-2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ChadVKealey" the only downside is that they cook up a little "buckled").[/quote]

Heck, after a couple of days camping, I look a little buckled,Laughing Laughing Laughing but who cares, I'm camping......

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: