www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Pasta to Water Ratio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Cooking tips, tricks and techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colorado #5

PostPosted: Wednesday 6-7-2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Pasta to Water Ratio Reply with quote

I have noticed that when cooking with DO's most cooks prefer to add dry pasta and warm water. But what if I want to use more pasta or less pasta then the recipe calls for? If I have a recipe that calls for half a pound of spaghetti pasta and 3 cups water what would the ratio be if I wanted to use a full pound of pasta? Would it then be 6 cups of water?

What if I'm using a different pasta? Would the water ratio be different?

I don't want to make my pasta dishes soupy if you follow me.

Or am I over thinking this?
J2

PostPosted: Wednesday 6-7-2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually make my pasta at home, then add after it at camp, but I like to think of DO cooking as a science experiment.

I would add maybe 1-1/2 times the normal amount called for then either add more if necessary or take the lid off to let it evaporate.

It's a great excuse to keep tasting while cooking :Smile 1:

Others who have cooked the pasta at camp may have better ideas.

Joanne (J2)
SeabeeCook

PostPosted: Monday 11-20-2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joanne, are you preparing a dish where the dry pasta cooks in the casserole with all of the other ingredients?

If so, I would double (triple, etc.) both the water and the pasta. The pasta should absorb the water at the same rate. To be safe, you could reduce the amount of water by 10 or 15% and watch the dish closely. If it seems too dry, then add a bit more water as needed until the pasta and casserole are properly cooked.

However, fresh pasta is not going to absorb as much water. When you add fresh pasta to a casserole style dish, begin with the sauce only and no additional water. Watch closely and add water, stock, milk, juice and/or cream (it depends on the base liquid in the dish) in small amounts. Be careful not to add too much liquid. (Remember that a Dutch oven is an enclosed environment that allows for little evaporation.)

At work I use fresh lasagna sheets for our layered dishes. I do not add any extra moisture to the sauce. The dish comes ot perfectly every time.

Let us know how your tests come out.
SeabeeCook on Instagram
'Round the Chuckbox on Facebook
'Round the Chuckbox blog
J2

PostPosted: Monday 11-20-2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You SeabeeCook!
I usually cook with dry pasta more for convenience than anything else.
I'll let you know next time I'm trying pasta at camp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Cooking tips, tricks and techniques All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: