www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

How to Roast Your Own Coffee Beans

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Teardrop Nanny

PostPosted: Monday 5-15-2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: How to Roast Your Own Coffee Beans Reply with quote

Cool My husband, Dean, the Fogcrawler, has been working on a method to roast your own green coffee beans using a cast iron skillet. If you would like to see how this can be easily accomplished take a moment to view our webisode on it. You will find it on our cooking channel: Cast Iron Roasted Coffee

Enjoy your own blend and create a specialty cup of "Joe"
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook

Joanie
The Teardrop Nanny

Life is uncertain....eat dessert first....preferably one cooked in a Dutch Oven.
cphubert

PostPosted: Monday 5-22-2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post, never thought of roasting my own, will have to try it.
The Teardrop Nanny

PostPosted: Monday 5-22-2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Try it! Reply with quote

:Smile 1: Let us know how it turns out.
Joanie

Life is uncertain....eat dessert first....preferably one cooked in a Dutch Oven.
Redneck Packrat

PostPosted: Sunday 5-28-2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gotten sophisticated enough to blend. I'm still in the stage of being awed at how good home-roasted coffee is. Kinda like someone who's always eaten McDonalds trying a burger off a real fire on a real grill. I've been roasting my own for a while. smokinbeans.com has a subscription option that sends me out 5 lb of Mexican each month for a really reasonable price. Since I roast for two of my kids and my mom and sister, I can go through that 5 lb of green beans a month.

I watched your youtube and I don't think I have the dexterity or patience to popcorn it like that. Too much flipping. (Reminds me of the joke about how many Aggies it takes to pop popcorn: Five. One to hold the pan and four to shake the stove!)

I roast a pint jar's worth of green beans at a time, and use a wire whisk to keep the beans moving. Takes about 17-20 minutes if the wind's not blowing. Today's roast took 25 because the wind kicked up on me just after I dumped the beans in the skillet.

I have been just dumping the roast into a colander and continuing the stir for another ten minutes, until this last batch. I built this out of some scrap plywood I had laying in the shop:

The day I had the time to build it, I was in Walmart and when I finished I was headed across the street to Lowe's to find a cheap fart fan to use as the blower. This fan was on display in Walmart, and blew a surprising amount of air, and was <$10 so I snagged it up and built the box for it instead.

Cooled my roast off to stirring-with-finger in less than 5 min. Can't wait til I try it and see if fast-cooling really does make a difference!

I have a video of roasting that I made back in March, I think. Long before the blue box. Was gonna make one of it in action but my phone had heatstroke and passed out right after I took that pic this afternoon in the 105 degree direct sun. I brought it in and brought it back to life, but I'm gonna have to roast in the morning if I want to get any video of the box in action.
The Teardrop Nanny

PostPosted: Monday 9-4-2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Roasting Reply with quote

Flirting You are doing great, Bill. Thanks for sharing your tools/method.
The wind does make a difference in roasting, as does the heat of the day. Keep on experimenting and you'll find all kinds of ways to blend your coffee.
Joanie
The Teardrop Nanny (Dean's wife) Kewl Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Cup of Joe All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: