www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Setting up a campfire for cooking
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfy

PostPosted: Sunday 6-29-2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kewl..... Cool
BIGRT

PostPosted: Monday 6-30-2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfy wrote:
Kewl..... Cool

It may be kewl Wolfy,
But the darn place where I store my photos prior to posting has just rejected me.
That's why you aint seen any photos.

Darn!

BIGRT
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Monday 6-30-2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phishtank wrote:
Does anyone have a key to fit my lock????

Hey Phishtank!

Welcome aboard. You've got the best "first post" that I've seen on the list so far! Great example (and photos) of a keyhole fire. Of course the food looks pretty great too!! Thumbs Up

Joanne
Phishtank

PostPosted: Monday 6-30-2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfy Wrote.......I'm curious as to what the fuel was that was being used in that fire....none of it seemed to be over "thumb-sized" in cross-section. Desert wood of some kind, I would suspect. I don't live there, but I am curious as to how long that sized wood lasts in a baking situation?

I used wood laying around the campsite. I did however bring some of my own wood that I purchased, I think maybe pine or ceder...don't really know for sure.....I would shovel out coals from the fire and place the hot coals around my dutch oven and on top of it.....It cooked in about 30-40mins.

As for the "thumb size" I was just starting to get the fire going before adding the bigger logs for some serious coals...

Hey Wolfy... What part of Nebraska are you from.. I grew up in Geneva, NE, and attended UNL for 3 years before moving to Kentucky.
wolfy

PostPosted: Monday 6-30-2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phish....Look for Ponca on a Nebraska map. I'm as far as you can get in Northeast Nebraska. Hard agin' the Mighty Missouri River....God's country Thumbs Up Hardwood growin' on the bluffs means free wood and GOOD coals for your ovens. You are an idiot if you buy wood in my area of the state......we just pick it up and burn it. If it's too long, just smash it and burn it. Oak may require a swipe or two with a bowsaw, but it beats the crap out of the current Kingsford turdsquares by a loooong shot Laughing
Sam Stone

PostPosted: Thursday 7-31-2008 10:47 am    Post subject: campfire Reply with quote

Joanne, thanks for the useful diagram! I too prefer to cook on coals but have also used fire. I have recently purchased a tripod from lodge and it works very well, especialy when there is no grill or camp fire ring available. I can't help but think of "Blazing Saddles" when I use it though Laughing Thanks again for all that you do at the gatherings and all your great food!
Sam
BIGRT

PostPosted: Thursday 7-31-2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: campfire Reply with quote

Sam Stone wrote:
Joanne, thanks for the useful diagram! I too prefer to cook on coals but have also used fire. I have recently purchased a tripod from lodge and it works very well, especialy when there is no grill or camp fire ring available. I can't help but think of "Blazing Saddles" when I use it though Laughing Thanks again for all that you do at the gatherings and all your great food!
Sam

So Sam,
By that I gather, you only cook beans over a fire using a tripod. Laughing

BIGRT[/u][/b]
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thursday 7-31-2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: campfire Reply with quote

Sam Stone wrote:
Sam

Sam!!!

Glad to see you here! Sure had a great time camping with you last week. What an amazing event. Good folks, a campground straight out of Jurassic Park, and lot of good food. It was sure fun. I hope you stick around and join our little family here. Oh yeah, I like your new tear!

Joanne

See you down the road!
camp_cookie

PostPosted: Friday 8-1-2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info. Thanks.
drewdunnrespect

PostPosted: Tuesday 1-10-2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: yer i have key for that slot Reply with quote

Now the key holé fire design is nowt new as Joanne said and i was taught it in scouts
And its good but personaly i like to use a tripod [/u]

PostPosted: Sunday 4-29-2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yall are forcing me to rethjnk my Truck rim fire ring idea, Now I am going to have to add a Mobil home rim to the side to make the coal ring! Scrap yard time again!
DG TX

PostPosted: Monday 4-30-2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut the spokes out of an old planting roller wheel. I like it as it is a bit taller Thumbs Up
goodmanrl1

PostPosted: Tuesday 5-2-2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too like the keyhole design, but if I'm camping in a campground with built in campfire rings, I like to use my cooking sticks that I bought from Perry at Winderness Innovations. They'll span those large government concrete fire rings too. Check out his uTube videos and website. Handy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: