www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Quick Question About Frying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gavinsco

PostPosted: Thursday 12-1-2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Quick Question About Frying Reply with quote

To avoid lugging a separate skillet and dutch oven to camp, I've been told most dutch ovens come with a lid that doubles as a frying pan, but how would you even fry with something that heavy that doesn't have a proper handle? I need it to be shallow so I can't just use the main bit of the oven, but how would you suspend/hold the lid over an open fire and cook up a mean breakfast of fried eggs, sausage and bacon??

Yours sincerely,

a hungry camper.
PhulesAu

PostPosted: Thursday 12-1-2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trivet is what we use.
cphubert

PostPosted: Thursday 12-1-2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a trivet (welded horseshoes) or the lodge lid holder with the cover inverted on it, coals placed under lid. I have seen other trivets but I liked and made ones by borrowing the idea from Kent Rollins Cooking Cowboy you can find his on you tube or his web site. they where easy to make but don't fold flat like the lid holder.
ChadVKealey

PostPosted: Thursday 12-1-2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have a DO with legs, just invert it, put the charcoal on the bottom (now top) and then perch the lid on top of the legs. That's the way Alton Brown does it.
DG TX

PostPosted: Friday 12-2-2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChadVKealey wrote:
Assuming you have a DO with legs, just invert it, put the charcoal on the bottom (now top) and then perch the lid on top of the legs. That's the way Alton Brown does it.

Thumbs Up That would be my route
CWallyD
Pied Piper of Cast Iron

PostPosted: Friday 12-2-2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a deep lid hard anodized oven lid made by Camp Chef turned upside down on a propane stove. Works great (If you have a propane stove) You can use the oven inverted for a lid if needed.
Darwin

PostPosted: Friday 12-2-2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do as Chad said or consider one of these. Always nice to have on hand.

http://midhardware.com/hardware/product_info.php/products_id/1301936?gclid=CjwKEAiA1ITCBRDO-oLA-q_n8xYSJADjBQfGvaXBEOm54KoYxeoW9VCQD6cTWXpQmpCj0NaJkM9OvRoCeiPw_wcB
SeabeeCook

PostPosted: Saturday 12-3-2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have extremely limited space in your vehicle, I'd take the Dutch oven and skillet. Yes, you can use the lid as a skillet (and I've done it many times), but depending on what you're cooking, the results can be imperfect.

I prefer a to use a skillet. Its flat bottom lets me cook more than one hotcake at a time without the batter running toward the middle with the slopped lid. And the skillet sides let me contain the food while allowing me to use a spatula.
SeabeeCook on Instagram
'Round the Chuckbox on Facebook
'Round the Chuckbox blog
wolfy

PostPosted: Sunday 12-4-2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't invert the oven because it's being used for something else, just pound 3 metal tentpegs or bridge spikes in the ground next to the main fire. Dump a shovelful of coals in the center and you're good to go. Thumbs Up
gavinsco

PostPosted: Tuesday 12-13-2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I was hoping to cut down weight by using the lid as a skillet, but if the results will be that different, I suppose the extra few pounds won't matter too much. Though, the trivet seems like an idea....
ChadVKealey

PostPosted: Thursday 12-15-2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavinsco wrote:
Thanks guys! I was hoping to cut down weight by using the lid as a skillet, but if the results will be that different, I suppose the extra few pounds won't matter too much. Though, the trivet seems like an idea....

Some camp DOs (Cabela's brand and possibly others) have a lid that's more like a skillet than others. Most of them have a slightly concave lid that may be perfectly fine for a lot of things you'd normally cook in a skillet, but may not be great for things like pancakes (unless you have a really thick batter).

If weight is a concern, you could invest in some vintage iron. I have two 10" skillets handed down from my wife's grandmother that are between 60-100 years old. They're about 1/2 the weight of my "modern" Lodge 10" (actually, the lid part of the Lodge Combo Cooker) and have a much smoother surface, making them great for pancakes (with proper pre-heating).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: