www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Red Eye Sausage Gravy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stan41

PostPosted: Saturday 12-27-2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Red Eye Sausage Gravy Reply with quote

Who besides me makes "red eye" gravy after cooking breakfast sausage? I love it on a split biscuit. I like to fry the sausage until done, add a cup or so of water or coffee to the pan while leaving the sausage in the pan. Cover and cook 2 or 3 minutes. It also makes the sausage softer and more tender.
BIGDADDYBR549

PostPosted: Sunday 12-28-2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Stan, tried your saugage redeye this morning before church, turned out great. Cooked some of the homemade saugage I made just before Christmas, took some of the grease out to keep to cook the eggs with later. Stirred in the coffee, covered and set off the burner after 3 minutes. Cooked 6 eggs sunny side up, put the drop biscuits down and spooned on the saugage eye. Was a great breakfast. We got to find a new name for it since Redeye got it's name from the round ham bone. While cooking, the marrow inside the bone turns a soft red hence" Red eye gravy". Southern cooks always leave the morrow in the gravy as it's ultra rich and makes the meals stay with you during hard work. Well done Stan
stan41

PostPosted: Sunday 12-28-2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mother always fixed this kind of gravy as long as I can remember. (I'm 73 now). I have always loved it. We never did call it anything except "gravy". She always used water instead of coffee. But it's good either way.
stan41

PostPosted: Thursday 1-1-2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIGDADDYBR549 wrote:
OK Stan, tried your saugage redeye this morning before church, turned out great. Cooked some of the homemade saugage I made just before Christmas, took some of the grease out to keep to cook the eggs with later. Stirred in the coffee, covered and set off the burner after 3 minutes. Cooked 6 eggs sunny side up, put the drop biscuits down and spooned on the saugage eye. Was a great breakfast. We got to find a new name for it since Redeye got it's name from the round ham bone. While cooking, the marrow inside the bone turns a soft red hence" Red eye gravy". Southern cooks always leave the morrow in the gravy as it's ultra rich and makes the meals stay with you during hard work. Well done Stan

What do you say we call it "Brown Eye Gravy"?
Bigbamaboy

PostPosted: Friday 1-2-2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of it, but never actually seen or tried it. It doesn't have any flour in it? Thinking
BIGDADDYBR549

PostPosted: Saturday 1-3-2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it's a very thin gravy usually poured over biscuits, grits or left over cornbread. The more coffee you add the stronger it gets. I've tried adding flour to it but it's just not as good. This was a way to use the left over renderings from the ham.
HistoricFoodie

Location: Central Kentucy: Where the Bluegrass Meets The Mountains

PostPosted: Monday 4-20-2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigbamaboy: If you remember Joan Baez, she sang about how she "wouldn't be here eating this cold corn bread, or sopping this salty gravy...."

Red-eye is what she was talking about; a thin, salty, liquid, more like broth than what we think of as gravy nowadays. Basically, coffee was poured in to deglaze the pan, and provide a way of softening stale or left-over biscuits and corn bread.

Traditionally it was made only with coffee. But some folks do add a pinch of sugar, to give it more body. In this house we add a splash of bourbon as well.

If you do want it thicker, it's better to let it reduce than to add flour or other thickeners.

Bigdaddy is correct about the name. It comes from the center marrow bone, which does, indeed. look like a red eye. The marrow, btw, adds richness to the mix, and is really an integral part of the gravy.
Bigbamaboy

PostPosted: Monday 4-20-2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always assumed the red eye was associated with the coffee.
Aggroman
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wednesday 4-22-2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this place. I learn something new every time I log on. Gold Tooth Smile: Thumbs Up
DHass

PostPosted: Thursday 4-23-2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red-Eye...coffee, fried swine meat grease, scrape up bits off bottom of pan

Been called that and made that way since Tuesday March 3rd 467BC
jeepdad

PostPosted: Sunday 4-26-2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandmother, Mom and now me make it after cooking country ham. Add a little strong coffee, little water and butter. Pour it over grits, biscuits. Man it's good. Never made it with sausage.

--Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: