www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Washin' Dishes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScouterMom

PostPosted: Friday 8-5-2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And photos! please?!
bc toys

PostPosted: Saturday 8-6-2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also built one for 3 pans 18x24 used 3/4 pvc there is a little sag in the middle when pans are full of dishes and water but other then that I love this set up
jimqpublic

PostPosted: Saturday 8-6-2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite solid with EMT in the top tubes even at 5 bins wide.

I found that 1/2" EMT is rather loose in 3/4" Schedule 40, not a problem in the top but the legs really wobbled. I got some Schedule 80 for the legs which are a nice close fit with the EMT and a lot less wobble..

The 10 year old dripped a lot of purple primer so I wiped the whole thing down for a nice mottled purple look.
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sunday 8-7-2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimqpublic wrote:
It's quite solid with EMT in the top tubes even at 5 bins wide.

I found that 1/2" EMT is rather loose in 3/4" Schedule 40, not a problem in the top but the legs really wobbled. I got some Schedule 80 for the legs which are a nice close fit with the EMT and a lot less wobble..

The 10 year old dripped a lot of purple primer so I wiped the whole thing down for a nice mottled purple look.

It's nice to have a little helper to give you a hand! They grow up so quickly, so enjoy the time together. Thumbs Up

Joanne
AZ Steve

PostPosted: Wednesday 9-10-2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made mine for 3 tubs and a drain rack, used EMT inside the top long rail works great for supporting the tubs with water and dishes. It is glue up as 4 sections, the top, middle and both sides.

Added extra tubing in the middle to support a shelf, extra drying space for large items.
Trapper

PostPosted: Friday 12-19-2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use bleach. I hated the smell and saw that it killed vegetation where I tossed it out. I once had a bottle of bleach leak onto my cast iron skillet. I didn't discover it until the Spring. It took me many hours to fix that skillet.

I also got schooled by a guest who was a health inspector. He told me bleach loses it's disinfecting properties when heated to over 80 degrees. I googled it and he was right.

I don't have the luxury of tossing garbage into a can that some nice campground maintenance person picks up. In the back country where I normally cook, any garbage, no matter how small, attracts unwanted critters like mice and rats. I burn all garbage in the woodstove and then dump the ashes in the latrine hole where it later gets buried.

So, this is how I do dishes in the backcountry:

1. I tell my guests "If you want to help, don't stack the dishes. It just means I have to scrape the top and bottom of your plates."

2. I use a spatula to scrape any food into a bucket.

3. I use metal dishpans so I can pre-heat the water on the woodstove and then get it really hot by putting both pans on my 2-burner Camp Chef stove. If the water cools during washing I just put some heat under it. I scrub my dishes using soap and water only. No bleach. I like Joy dishwashing liquid. Dawn is easy on your hands and the cute little ducks that are covered in oil spilled oil, but also easy on grease etc. I use 1/2 the amount of Joy vs Dawn.

4. If the wash water gets too dirty I take that water and run it through a colander to filter out the food particles and toss that water. I then move the rinse water to the wash water station and use the clean new water to rinse after I heat it up.

5. Before tossing the wash water, I run it through a colander. I run the rinse water through a colander and then toss the rinse water onto the dirt floor in the wall tent. This keeps the dust down and after a few days it hardens up.

Trapper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: