www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Nice Weekend for Camping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepdad

PostPosted: Sunday 10-19-2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Nice Weekend for Camping Reply with quote

Me and my family had our first camping weekend for the season and it was a beautiful weekend indeed. We were at Westmoreland State Park in Virginia. Got a little windy at times but was very manageable. Some neighbors came as well they rented a campground cabin.

First evening was low key with setting up and all. We had hotdogs, one ribeye, beans in the big pot, hotdog chili in the little one and taters in the coals.

Saturday morning breakfast over the coals.

A family tradition, Mountainman Breakfast.

Toot whittlin why I cook two pounds of bacon. Two pounds! It is for an appetizer for supper, BLTs for lunch and Sunday morning breakfast. I thought I was going to be banished from the campground when I dropped one itty bitty little slice of bacon while cooking. I know I know I am ashamed. Forgive me my fellow Camp Cookers, please! Laughing

Home sweet home!

Bought two of these for camping.

One for trash and one for dirty clothes. Works great and love the easy storage when done.

This was the start on one of the hikes we took.

On the hike.

I can see the river from the trail.

The Potomac river.

Lunch, for me, was a BLT. Food just taste better outdoors!

Anyone wanna guess? Wrong! After cooking two pounds of bacon there was a frying pan full of grease. So, my buddy, rolled some paper towels, and put them in the frying pan. It soaked up all the grease. He then set them aside and later in the evening we started the fire with the bacon candles. Worked well.

Layering the lasagna.

This is a deep DO too!

Lasagna in the top DO, apple crisp in the closest DO. And a couple garlic breads on the grate. We had salad too and ice cream with the apple crisp.

Sunday morning breakfast. My omelet was three eggs, bacon, red pepper, onions, and Tabasco. Cooked up well. Fun way to do breakfast. Some did it over the fire some on the Coleman.

The fixins!

Toot watching our friend cooking breakfast.

Toaster.

And camping would not be complete without my Dad's trusty ole percolator! Love coffee from this thing. I have a good friend that takes his Grandads "Old Perk" with him to barbecue comps. My earliest camping memories are waking in the morning to my Dad making coffee in that pot. Great way to wake up!

It was a great weekend spent outdoors and with good friends. Nothing like it. Hope your weekend was a good one.

--Dan
Aggroman
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sunday 10-19-2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Looked like an awesome weekend full of food, family, and friends. A beautiful place, and that water looked reeeealllll fishy. Thumbs Up And i'm a sucker for a mountainman breakfast, and there's usually not a campout without one. Glad you had such a great time, and thanks for bringing us along!!

btw, my weekend was full of family and food....big family reunion. Way way way too much food. I'm still trying to digest some of it. Laughing
icyblack

PostPosted: Sunday 10-19-2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some good eats. Looks like a fine weekend.

I'm hoping to get out once more before the snow flies.
Bigbamaboy

PostPosted: Monday 10-20-2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an excellent trip. I'm glad I'm not the only one that goes camping just to cook. Laughing
jeepdad

PostPosted: Tuesday 10-21-2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, I thought I was family?! Where was my invite! Laughing Laughing Hope the reunion was time well spent!

icyblack Thanks. I hope the snow stays off for a while.

Bigbamaboy Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Bigbamaboy

PostPosted: Tuesday 10-21-2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fwiw, I also have an old school percolator similar to yours. Mine was given to me by an elderly lady when we were remodeling her kitchen. She said she had a junk pile that she wanted us to take home with us or throw away. Well, that old 60's model coffee pot was among that stuff. It still had the original papers inside it. It had NEVER been used! Thumbs Up

It's hard to find them made like that now, with the clear knob on top. It started off baby diaper yellow Frightened , but now has a nice campfire patina!
jeepdad

PostPosted: Tuesday 10-21-2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good story Bama glad you recovered the perk. Coffee is so much better from it than the insta-pots today. Hope all is well.

--Dan
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sunday 11-2-2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great camp-out! Those memories will be with the girls for the rest of their lives. I really enjoy seeing family camping photos. It's what it's all about.

I use a smaller aluminum percolator when I go out camping. Used it every morning this past weekend as we enjoyed Nevada Day out at the Valley of Fire.

Joanne
jeepdad

PostPosted: Wednesday 11-12-2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Joanne. I have very fond memories of family camping as a child. Our kids love it too. I hope all is well.

--Dan
oracle5

PostPosted: Wednesday 11-12-2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing all the pics. Everything taste better outside.

Check out my cooking videos on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/c/arkansasredneck

Get recipes on my website:
http://www.arkansasredneck.com

Check out my recipe photos on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/arkansasredneck2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: