www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Has Anyone Tried One Of These?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sizzle

PostPosted: Tuesday 9-9-2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Has Anyone Tried One Of These? Reply with quote

Granted I am not new to grilling, but I am far from where most of you are. Wink LOL. I was pondering "potentially" buying a Mountain Man Grill, for ref: http://www.beststovetopgrill.com/2014/08/camping-chef-mountain-man-grill-review.html Here is my concern, looks good in pic conceptually. I like the idea of a small footprint with two different types of cooking surfaces. I'm envisioning bacon, eggs, steak, etc. same time small footprint. I know it would be rather heavy. My question is if any of you have experience with this or something better? I hate wasting money on non-quality gimmicky cookware. This would be an internet purchase, not able to see in person. Thanks in advance!
AZ Steve

PostPosted: Tuesday 9-9-2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sizzle,
I have not tried one of these set-ups, but I do remember a discussion about one, cannot find that thread.

The major things I remember in it was about the soil that the stake would go into, what type was it and how well would it hold the stake and weight of the grates and food, how far would you have to pound the stake into the ground and how hard would it be to remove it when done.

Somethings to consider.
Sizzle

PostPosted: Wednesday 9-10-2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great points. Locally, I am clay, but usually traveling when camping. I wonder about getting it out now that you mention it. If one has to to pound far into ground, then rock back and forth to get out, maybe it could get bent. Though, everything I seem to read states pretty dang heavy. Maybe the pole is heavy duty. Must ponder further now. Thanks for the good insight!
DumOleBob

PostPosted: Thursday 9-18-2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used one similar for years. The thing you've got to watch out for is the cooking element can "walk" down the pole, or sometimes just flat out fall, if the thing is touched, banged or moved in just the wrong way. I use an old pair of vice grips clamped on the tab, which gives you a little leverage in moving the cooking surface up, down, or to the side. Great, unless or until it dumps your food into the coals, which will happen until you get used to it Crying
That said it gives good control by allow you to move the cooking surface up, down or to the side Thumbs Up
bobhenry

PostPosted: Friday 9-19-2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at our fall gathering last year and was able to get up close and personal with one of those and I was quite impressed. The gentleman using it had it set right at the edge of his campfire. He could swing the griddle over the camp fire or just bank some coals on the coal shelf under the grill grate. It essentially was a charcoal grill a dutch oven table and a hugh frying pan. I did notice that when he moved the different shelves he donned a heavy glove to very purposely place the shelf where he wanted it and was sure it was secure before letting go.

The center post is a solid steel bar so it will take any abuse you can dish out and the whole unit packed up real nice too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: