www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Pie Irons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tuesday 7-21-2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Pie Iron as hash brown mold Reply with quote

ye_river_xiv wrote:
Has anybody used pie irons to make hash browns?

I've been thinking... potatoes, oil, cheese grater, pie iron, fire...

And before you know it, you could have yourself one of those hash brown squares, sort of like they sell ready-made.

That sounds like a great idea! There are times I really enjoy a hash brown potato patty.

I'll bet you could also do French Toast in one too...

Joanne
bobhenry

PostPosted: Wednesday 7-22-2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Pie Iron as hash brown mold Reply with quote

ye_river_xiv wrote:
Has anybody used pie irons to make hash browns?

I've been thinking... potatoes, oil, cheese grater, pie iron, fire...

And before you know it, you could have yourself one of those hash brown squares, sort of like they sell ready-made.

You gotta be kidding ya can't eat just one ! Laughing

Wife did a great big one in the 12" chicken frier skillet we simply put the 12" DO lid on it and piled the coals on top with just a few underneath so it would cook from the top down without burning. It was later used as the crust on a beautiful breakfast cassarole. Eggs red yellow and green peppers onion pre cooked sausage and a little pepperoni for zing. When all but done smother with schredded cheese and serve.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=40344
khate

PostPosted: Friday 4-2-2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They comes with designs that will appear also on the pie? Sure those are hot and will make a delicious pie :Smile 1:
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tuesday 4-6-2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khate wrote:
They comes with designs that will appear also on the pie? Sure those are hot and will make a delicious pie :Smile 1:

Wave Welcome to the forum! Glad that you joined us.

Joanne
Gaelen

PostPosted: Sunday 6-24-2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, life intervened and I never got back to this thread. So...to answer the questions:

RECIPES - JALAPENO POPPERS in a double rectangle pie iron, makes 12

6 Jalapeno peppers
1 three oz package of softened cream cheese
2-4 tablespoons chopped green onions
6 strips of thin-sliced bacon

(About halfway through prep, begin pre-heating the pie iron over medium heat.)
- Mix the cream cheese and green onions, and set aside.
- Slice the jalapenos in half length-wise. Take out the seeds and white pepper ribs, but if you can, leave the sturdy stem and head of the pepper. It seems to support the pepper a bit.
- Cut the bacon strips in half.
- Stuff the pepper with the cream cheese and onion mixture.
- Wrap each pepper half with a half-slice of the thin slice bacon.
Lay the wrapped peppers in one side of a pre-heated rectangular pie iron. Clamp the other side of the pie iron to the one full of poppers. Cook 5 - 8 minutes over medium coals. Unclamp to ensure the bacon has cooked...if not, cook an additional 5 min. over the medium coals. Remove from the fire and let rest away from the hot coals for 5-10 more minutes (remember there's a lot of residual cooking in pie irons! Open the iron, check for doneness, and serve.
- VARIATIONS: I also mixed the cream cheese with chopped roasted peppers, green and black garlic marinated olives, uncooked Italian sweet or hot sausage, and chopped sun dried tomatoes. Just remember when using uncooked meats to utilize the CI residual/carryover cooking and make sure your meats are fulling cooked through.

RECIPES: PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM TUNA MELT, serves 1 in square or round, or 2 in double rectangle pie iron.

Since everything in this is cooked in advance, you really only have to get the mushroom cap nice and tender and the cheese all melty.
DOUBLE ingredients if making two in the rectangle iron. For a single round or square, you need 2 portobello mushroom caps, tuna salad, and 1 slice of good swiss cheese, plus the portobello marinade:

2 portobello mushroom caps, dark inner fins cleaned out
1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 clove garlic (whole, not cut or smashed)
- Mix the vinegar, EVOO and garlic clove in a zip-close bag.
- Drop the mushrooms into the bag.
- Slosh them around in the marinade until coated, and set aside for later.
- Begin preheating the pie iron over medium heat.

Tuna salad for one:
1 1/2 to 2 oz of chopped tuna (white albacore)
1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts or roasted pumpkin seeds, chopped (optional)
1 tsp mayonnaise
1 tsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
- Mix everything together. Add more mayo or mustard if the mix is too dry.
ASSEMBLY FOR ONE SANDWICH:
- Remove mushroom caps from marinade and shake dry.
- Lightly oil one side of preheated iron.
- Fill one mushroom cap with a couple of tablespoons of tuna salad mix (just enough to fill cap but don't overfill!.
- Lay the slice of swiss cheese on top of the tuna salad.
- Lay the remaining mushroom cap, shaken dry, on top of the swiss cheese.
Clamp the pie iron together and cook each side for 5 min. over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and check to be sure the mushroom is cooked through. If not, give it another 2-3 minutes on the heat, and then remove from heat and let rest in the sealed pie iron for up to 5 min. of residual cooking off the heat. Then unclamp and enjoy.

NOTES: I've tried this open-faced, but the cooking wasn't as even. OTOH, really thick portobellos make it tough to get the tuna warm and the cheese melty.
Sure you can use other cheeses (jalapeno jack, anyone?) as well as adding different things to the tuna salad (pickles? chopped pecans? whatever else you like in your tuna salad.)

I hope by now everyone's discovered that a double pie iron is a terrific way to make fried potatoes...and to make them hash browns brown, just shred the potatoes. And a little onion and peppers for Potatoes Obrien works pretty great, too.

Turns out my BIL discovered my pie irons cleaning out a box of my camping stuff, so the double is going to him. He and his grandson (my great nephew will have a great time making "hobo pies" from my recipes. My round and square have already gone to a friend who loves to camp with them, along with the rest of my DOs.
my jam blog: http://kitchenjam.net
Also Syracuse Food & Dog Training. @Gaelen2 on Twitter.
Polly Wog

PostPosted: Sunday 6-24-2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the great recipes. Over the winter I picked up a couple of pie irons and I can hardly wait to use them over an open fire. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Polly Wog on Sunday 6-24-2012 3:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
cliffmeister2000
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sunday 6-24-2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: pie iron bag Reply with quote

jdarden wrote:
Hi,

I read that someone is looking for something to store their pie irons in. Here is a link for pie iron storage bag. It will hold up to 4 irons.

http://www.rvsupplywarehouse.com/product/detail.cfm/nid/192/pid/4132

Jim

I was just reading through all of this (I just picked up my first pie iron) and followed the above link, but it was broken. I searched around and found the current link

http://www.rvsupplywarehouse.com/p/2864/pie-iron-storage-bag
Gunswinger

PostPosted: Monday 6-25-2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Lovely wife bought me a few pie irons for my birthday a few years back and we looked for a lot of recipes for desert. My wife said I got an idea, she took sugar cookie dough from the freezer and sliced about a 3/16 slice. then lined each side with the dough. Then took small reseece cups small marshmellows and a few chocolate chips. for the filling. I cooked the cookie dough by turning them a lot to make sure one side did not burn. They mixed up and did not make a real pie. However they were fantastic. Dump them out into a small bowl and add Ice cream. They are really simple and quick. I think I posted the recipe before on here. Just wanted to share how great a cook my wife is. Thumbs Up :Smile 1:
Tinker

PostPosted: Wednesday 6-27-2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fun playing with the pie iron I have.

Did you know the 12 inch tortilla work nicely in a square pie iron? Lay it on center with bottom side sprayed with PAM. Fill with taco meat , cheese and a spoon full of beans. Fold edges up and over and in so it covers the stuffing you just put in. Close the iron and cook. A mini taco pocket.

I have a mix you make with one box of angel food cake mix, and one box of your favorite flavor of cake mix. I've tried all sorts this first idea is with Chocolate cake mix. Mix these two mixes together in a gallon zip lock bag. To mix for pie iron, its 1/4 c. of mix to two Tbs. Water. (you may want to work with this if your iron is double sized or round) Mix in a small cup or bowl. Spray your iron with pam. Pour your thick cake batter into one side and add goodies if you wish. Choco chips, coconut, crushed nuts. Close and cook. Turning often.

Note: The above recipe can be made at home for a quick bowl of Cake. Its 1/3 cup of mix in a bowl.. add 3 Tbs. water, stir with a fork and microwave for 1 min. IT will spook you as it raises, but will settle back down again. Hurry and put a scoop of ice cream on top when its still hot.... mmm mmm

The same cake mix above using white or yellow cake mix you cook the same way but add fresh fruit and whip cream out of the can when your done cooking. :Smile 1: Stack these squares with strawberries in between and you have a 'shortcake'.

To take frosting with, use the premixed frosting in the tubs, put some into a baggy, knead a little bit to soften it up and just snip the corner off to squeeze on your frosting after your cake/brownie is done. (adding cinnamon to vanilla frosting will work on french toast or cinnamon bread stacks done it the pie iron too)

For Breakfast, use those heat and eat sausage links, fry up four of them in your pie iron shaking back and forth to keep them moving inside.. when close to done open it up and pour in a couple of spoonfulls of 'just add water pancake mix'. mixed with the water. Try to get the batter between the sausages. Close and cook. When done just pour maple syrup over it all. :Smile 1:

Lots of ideas to try in the iron. I like to play in the winter time on my gas stove so I have ideas to use come summer cooking time.

Tinker.
sleecjr

PostPosted: Sunday 7-1-2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up my first iron yesterday . Looking forward to some fun!
Honu

PostPosted: Wednesday 6-11-2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resurrecting this thread :Smile 1:

new to the forum not a ton of talk on the hobo pans as I know them or pie irons :Smile 1:

funny someone asked about hash browns cause something I started doing before I saw this

one other thing we are loving is the tramezzino
http://www.snowpeak.com/tramezzino-gr-009.html
we have a few other cast iron pie pans but loving this one more easier to clean up, short folding handles so packs super small and super even cooking not a fire pit setup though :Smile 1: but so many burn bans here ? tend to use it on the stove more also no worries of rusting ever etc..

bread pizza pies the kids love and have to say pretty darn good for a late night treat

my recent breakfast idea that was a huge hit my one kid does not like sausage but IMHO must have also works with bacon
first cook the eggs in the setup so its the same shape then take out put in the hash brown then egg then meat then cover with more hash browns

the final product :Smile 1:*

meatball sandwiches :Smile 1:
BBQ sauce or pizza sauce is good also pizza sauce meatballs and cheese of course :Smile 1:

Lostjohn

PostPosted: Wednesday 6-11-2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the pie irons, sometimes keep one in the kitchen and use on the gas kitchen stove to make a hot fruit pie for one. Better than making a full size cobbler for one. Thumbs Up Have used them several times on my Coleman stove at picnics.

Lostjohn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: