www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

box and setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinv

PostPosted: Thursday 3-27-2014 8:01 am    Post subject: box and setup Reply with quote

I have not started my pit build yet, but want to see what I have to look at to do the following. I want the box to able to throw in the car an go to someones else to cook, or to a BBQ event to cook.

What I am looking for is plans for a cook box to hold the following basic items. I seen some scout kitchen boxes, but they all look small. Maybe I am over thinking it.

2 - cast pans
1- dutch oven
1-coffee pot
2 - metal mixing bowls
mixing spoon
tongs
long spatula
long fork
Sharp knives
spices for the cook

grill grate and tripod attached would be nice
CWallyD
Pied Piper of Cast Iron

PostPosted: Thursday 3-27-2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think small and light. Ihave made a couple of chuck boxes and in the planning stages of making another. The first 2 items you list is for a seperate box in my opinon. I would rather have 2 small boxes than one larger one. Goggle chuck boxes and look at images you will find all sizes sapes and designs. Scout boxes I have seen takes 3 men and a small boy to move.
Lay out what you want to put in the box and measure every thing for the room it takes in the box the design the box around the equipment you want to carry. 3/4 plywood ads weight in a hurry. Im looking 3/8 for my next on. And carry dutchovens seperate.
Just my 2cts worth.
cliffmeister2000
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thursday 3-27-2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the boxes built by Trapper and his brother in this thread:

http://www.camp-cook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6147&highlight=

Two boxes, becomes a nice table when set up. Thumbs Up
kevinv

PostPosted: Friday 3-28-2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks the advice and information. going to rethink what I really need in the main box, and do a sub box for the cast
bobhenry

PostPosted: Monday 3-31-2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you listed including the cast will easily fit into a Stanley rolling tool box. Thats what I use to contain everything for my D.O. Seminar stuff. They are light yet strong and can be padlocked if you wish. And the rollers help in transporting. I do place some 3/4 inch blue foam between my cast iron.
The Teardrop Nanny

PostPosted: Monday 3-31-2014 9:08 am    Post subject: bobhenry....great idea Reply with quote

That's a great idea, Bobhenry. Very handy too.

Lots of innovative ideas on this forum for what you want, Kevin.
IMHO.... I would also suggest two boxes as one can become pretty heavy depending on the size of iron you are packing.

Also, where you store/keep it, I'd remove any of your "food" items ( like spices or flour ) and put them in a small plastic grub box which could be removed and replenished with fresh items as used.....and it discourages little critters from foraging in your main box when in storage.

Joanie

Life is uncertain....eat dessert first....preferably one cooked in a Dutch Oven.
SeabeeCook

PostPosted: Tuesday 4-1-2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learned through painful experience that small is better. Yes, a large chuckbox is an impressive sight in the campsite. But, one that requires the lifting services of two or more doesn't cut it for me any longer.

I would leave the Dutch ovens and skillets out of the chuckbox, or build their own boxes. Save the chuckbox for the utensils, ancillary pots and pans and spices, etc. As others suggested, pack food when you leave for the demo.
'Round the Chuckbox on Facebook
'Round the Chuckbox blog
kevinv

PostPosted: Friday 4-4-2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I am now reworking my plans to be more manageable to carry and move.

My first thought of one box would be nice, but I now see that weight will be an issue. Something I overlooked which will have to be considered for sure.

My second consideration, is that I may not need the cast in the main box for all cooks. Hmm

I am going to try to measure up some of the supplies and other items I need, and come up with a better manageable idea.

One question. I see a lot of boxes made of plywood. Looks to be 3/4 inch maybe?

Thanks again everyone
CWallyD
Pied Piper of Cast Iron

PostPosted: Friday 4-4-2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stay away from 3/4 plwood due to weight. I plan on going with 3/8 or 1/2" ply. Any shelves or dividers will help to stifen up the box.
My 2cts worth
PhulesAu

PostPosted: Wednesday 4-9-2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI Academy has baby garden buggy/wagons in store. this is the semi - fold up expanded metal type, with real inflatable rubber tires.
AZ Steve

PostPosted: Thursday 4-10-2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of years ago I built a couple of boxes using the scout chuckbox design. Gave'em to my 25 year old son, he asked why I was giving them to him. Shy Smile I said because of the weight, and he said, but dad you used to have two 14 year-olds carry them around and I said, but I don't have any 14 year-olds around anymore. Laughing Laughing Laughing

The nice thing about the scout chuckbox is that it gives you a starting place for design, made a couple once that were only 1/2 the height and then stack 2 together.

cliffmeister2000
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thursday 4-10-2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some fine looking chuck boxes!
Mannlicher

PostPosted: Thursday 5-8-2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevinv, I need a lot more than that to cook. :Smile 1: When I go with the gang, I bring at least 4 Dutch Ovens, a stack of skillets, a Scotch pot, griddle and a box full of stuff that is absolutely essential. Cool
Spent 4 days camping and cooking two weeks back. Picture of me, with some of the gear.
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wednesday 6-11-2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mannlicher wrote:
. Picture of me, with some of the gear.

Do you have any more pictures of your fire boxes? They are standard gear on the chuckwagon circuit, but don't see too many apart from that.

Joanne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: