www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

fire pits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gator409

PostPosted: Monday 7-9-2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: fire pits Reply with quote

okay guys and gals need some help. i have always wanted to build a rock cooking area outside. i see the fire pit post below but want more. i want ideas, pictures of your pits or dream pits. i want a area for fire and with my cowboy irons so i can hang pots over the fire and place for pulling coals for baking. i have seen some fire rings where you place a big section of pipe and place rock around with a nice flat edge. was thinking something like this but was thinking maybe 4 small pipes set at ground level and welded to pipe to allow air to bottom of fire. please throw your ideas in because i love input before the job rather than after.easier to build it right the first time than adapt later. thanks for the help and love the site.
heycods

PostPosted: Monday 7-9-2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never concidered it Gator, I am still thinking portable, But a truckload of nice Cent Tx. rocks with built up for a setting area around your fire ring and a half knee high fire ring of same rocks with flat tops for setting pots to keep warm, with a keyhole for baking taders and corn that is large enough for a couple of 12s outa do you. Just as well make it floored in same stone for a patio all around it. Hummmm, great decision is whether to make it of limestone or sand rock? I think I prefer sandrock as it grows moss after a few years in your wet climate (hope that returns) Sandstone ages beautifuly.
Might not hurt to bring a heavy duty trailer as I am not sure your peoples truck will handle the kind of load I am talking about.
Slib

PostPosted: Tuesday 7-10-2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ultra-low tech. I found a bunch of old chimney bricks (probably from the construction of my 1947 post-war house) and dry stacked them to make my cooking fire pit. I have my tripod and rotisserie set-up over it and a stainless steel grate I can set on my bricks. I boil my maple sap there, cook chilli, roast beast, whole chicken...whatever. Definitely nothing fancy by any means, but completely functional.
DG TX

PostPosted: Wednesday 7-11-2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slib wrote:
I'm ultra-low tech. I found a bunch of old chimney bricks (probably from the construction of my 1947 post-war house) and dry stacked them to make my cooking fire pit. I have my tripod and rotisserie set-up over it and a stainless steel grate I can set on my bricks. I boil my maple sap there, cook chilli, roast beast, whole chicken...whatever. Definitely nothing fancy by any means, but completely functional.

That is what I have done and it worked out great for years. Thumbs Up
heycods

PostPosted: Wednesday 7-11-2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yall gota understand old Gator, he is Mr Prefection! Not necessarily got to have the bigest and best, just the nicest finished product! The little guy makes some of the finest woodworking projects you ever laid your eyes on. I feel certain the Chuck box he makes me will be awesome Cool
Cast Iron Dave

PostPosted: Wednesday 7-11-2012 6:06 am    Post subject: wind screen Reply with quote

Gator You're right on wanting to get air to the coals. A good, easy to clean surface under your DO (too much ash slows cooking). I find I need a good windscreen is an asset. Maybe a rustic 2 sided corner configureation that is higher than your ovens.
HogSnapper

PostPosted: Tuesday 7-31-2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a keyhole shaped fire pit.

Search google images for the term "keyhole fire pit"

https://www.google.com/search?q=keyhole+fire+pit&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cZQXUP_gGoOI8QTFxID4Cg&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=865
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thursday 8-16-2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HogSnapper wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=keyhole+fire+pit&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cZQXUP_gGoOI8QTFxID4Cg&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=865

It's ironic that one of the images displayed by this search is one that I made up for a post on this website to explain keyhole fires. More ironic is that my image is used in someone else's web page.

Joanne

Not that I've ever been known to use someone else's image....nope not me....Rolling Eyes
Staci

PostPosted: Thursday 8-16-2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pit is basically a bunch of rocks that have been pulled out of the fields over the years. It's your typical round pit. I'm looking to build up and out this fall for easier cooking without taking over the bonfire area, where most of our guests hang out.

Not that it is a perfected finished product but this is my cousin's pit.

cliffmeister2000
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thursday 8-16-2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joanne wrote:
HogSnapper wrote:

It's ironic that one of the images displayed by this search is one that I made up for a post on this website to explain keyhole fires. More ironic is that my image is used in someone else's web page.

Joanne

Not that I've ever been known to use someone else's image....nope not me....Rolling Eyes

This one is yours, right, Joanne?

kevinv

PostPosted: Thursday 3-27-2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there right or wrong size to make a pit? And depth better then others?

Thanks
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wednesday 6-11-2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffmeister2000 wrote:

This one is yours, right, Joanne?

Yes, I drew that one up a few years ago as an example of a keyhole fire. Obviously the idea is a standard fire ring, but with a small alcove of flat rocks to support the cooking grill. Shovel some coals out of the main fire over into the cooking alcove and away you go.

Joanne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: