www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Homemade Jeans Buttons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Useful Crafts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al Johnson

PostPosted: Saturday 3-8-2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Homemade Jeans Buttons Reply with quote

I have a project to make a new jeans jacket. I want riveted in jeans type buttons for this, and decided to make them myself rather than buy them. This way they are unique. I made the buttons from pennies of the new style, with the shield on the back, as I like the look of the shield design and think it will make good buttons. I purchased copper rivets from McMaster-Carr, which come with a copper washer to fit the rivet shank. I needed another washer, and a tubular spacer to act as the button shank where it will fit through the buttonhole, so I bought washers and small diameter brass tube from a hobby shop locally. I also picked up some silver solder, flux, and a very thin fine-toothed hacksaw.

In order to hold and support the thin brass tube while cutting off 1/8" pieces, I drilled a hole in the center of a shortened bolt:

Then in order to make all the spacers the same, I rigged up a temporary jig for sawing, using a machinist's vise clamped down to my fixture plate, with the correct space to a fixed bar for the 1/8" spacer plus saw kerf:

Here are the components for one button, in sequence of assembly:

Rivet soldered to back of penny:

Spacer and washer soldered to rivet shank:

All of them soldered. Note that the shank spacers came out measuring between .120" and .129"after deburring; not bad for hand sawed!

Back of button peened over in a sample fabric piece:

Side view of sample button:

All the buttons ready to rivet into place, and one in a sample buttonhole:

This is not the easy (or even cheap) way to obtain buttons, but they will be unique, handmade by me, and will work real well. And I'm retired, so time means less than it once did. And I had fun!
Kewl Green
Polly Wog

PostPosted: Saturday 3-8-2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job and a real labor of love! Thumbs Up
Little Kopit

PostPosted: Saturday 3-8-2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of effort for something that's just style, and not IMHO necessary.

I design. That's a jacket I designed. 3 layers of Commander fabric.2 & large interior pockets you can't see. 4 zipped exterior pockets.

Folded over it is a pair of jeans made with Commander Fabric. That's great for camping and any kind of travel that takes you out of doors. You can be soaked in rain with a tee-shirt and the commander jeans and you'll dry off in 20 minutes.

The jacket may not be goretex, but it's pretty good as a rain jacket.

What's many times more important than buttons is seams where all edges are enclosed. It's called the flat feld seam.

Just my way of doing things.

:Smile 1:

RGPaul

PostPosted: Saturday 3-8-2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up
Very nice Al!! Quite impressive soldering skills too! Those shields do look rather sharp that way.

Please post pics when they're mounted on your jacket. Bet thet will make that denim look great! Thumbs Up

~Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Useful Crafts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: