www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

being prepared
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIGDADDYBR549

PostPosted: Wednesday 11-21-2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you brought this up, I have been getting prices on a propane tank in my back yard this past week. I am also leary of storing more that 20-25 gallons of gasoline for my generators. I heard someone on the news last week in Jersey say they had a generator but no fuel after a week. That got me to thinking. I'm going to convert one of my generators oven to tri-fuel. I can use my natural gas if needed but am going to also get a 330 gallon propane tank to run it if the natural gas line is compromised by an earthquake on the New Madrid fault. Our service to West TN crosses the Miss. river and could be stopped with a break. Now I'm rotating my fuel every 3-4 months thru my truck and refilling the cans which is a pain. Propane can be stored indefitely and used only when needed without rotation. My well can be turned on while the generator is running so I only store about 60 gallons of water. Our local LDS church just had a Emergency Preparaness class open to the public. They even let me come, being a Baptist. They were very gracious to share their knowledge with others. I have alot of respect for them. They also sell their Long term canned food to the public at very reasonable cost at their cannery. I am decent on short term foods but now need to start on the long term which has a shelf life of 20-30 years which means no rotating for awhile. My next project is to save for a gas heater that can be used in front of my fireplace that can be run without electricty or running the generator, saving fuel at night. Like all your work Doitright, you're even closer to New Madrid than I am.
heycods

PostPosted: Thursday 11-22-2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIGDADDYBR549 wrote:
Funny you brought this up, I have been getting prices on a propane tank in my back yard this past week. I am also leary of storing more that 20-25 gallons of gasoline for my generators. I heard someone on the news last week in Jersey say they had a generator but no fuel after a week. That got me to thinking. I'm going to convert one of my generators oven to tri-fuel. I can use my natural gas if needed but am going to also get a 330 gallon propane tank to run it if the natural gas line is compromised by an earthquake on the New Madrid fault. Our service to West TN crosses the Miss. river and could be stopped with a break. Now I'm rotating my fuel every 3-4 months thru my truck and refilling the cans which is a pain. Propane can be stored indefitely and used only when needed without rotation. My well can be turned on while the generator is running so I only store about 60 gallons of water. Our local LDS church just had a Emergency Preparaness class open to the public. They even let me come, being a Baptist. They were very gracious to share their knowledge with others. I have alot of respect for them. They also sell their Long term canned food to the public at very reasonable cost at their cannery. I am decent on short term foods but now need to start on the long term which has a shelf life of 20-30 years which means no rotating for awhile. My next project is to save for a gas heater that can be used in front of my fireplace that can be run without electricty or running the generator, saving fuel at night. Like all your work Doitright, you're even closer to New Madrid than I am.

Out here in the stix o the farm I have always stored fuel in overhead tanks for tractors and such, but now days the gas dosent store long term. I started adding stavil several years back to cut down on evaporation. TI does slow evap and if the gas is stored in a shaded area it is still good after a year. Right now my lawnmower is running on gas that was stored 18 months.
doitright

PostPosted: Friday 11-23-2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: storage Reply with quote

Hey BIGDADDY I have a 250 gal lp tank but the cost of filling it is just a little out of my reach now. I will get it filled one day and then see about a propane generator. I can convert my home heater to propane with a little work and then use the generator to run the unit if gas natural gas lines get damaged. Hey where is the LDS store? I would love to be able to go and small amounts of food. That is just the way I do it a little at a time.
BIGDADDYBR549

PostPosted: Friday 11-23-2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know bout the little at a ti me. There is a local propane company that runs specials periodalcally for first time tank fill up at 1.80 per gallon, much less than gasoline and no rotating. Tank rentals for 36.00 per year. It would take me 15-20 years of rental to pay to purchase one, plus they keep it up. The closest LDS cannery is in Hendersonville just above Nashville. You go up and help with the canning to be able to purchase from them. I would enjoy working there for a day just to gain some knowledge. I just got put on their email list. If you'd like, I let you know when they plan a trip to the cannery and maybe you can come along if you're interested. I'm always willing to do a little work in exchange for some advice.
doitright

PostPosted: Friday 11-23-2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: lds cannery Reply with quote

Sounds great give me a shout. I would love to do that. Here in Lauderdale Co. We have a cannery that is free for all to use. I start it up every year and it runs all summer. You just bring in you jars and what you want to cann and cann all you want. Lots of people use it but there is always room for more. It has a small boiler that feeds all pots and pressure cookers. It has four cooking pots that I think will cook up to 10 gal at a time. So If you want you could always come with your vegs. and can all you want the good part it is free. We also have a pea sheller that will do about three bushles in about 10 min. So I will give you a shout when I start it up next year.
BIGDADDYBR549

PostPosted: Friday 11-23-2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea, I wish our county would do that. I have my own pressure canner for jars. The LDS cannery just cans in metal cans and Mylar bags with oxygen asorbers within for long term storage up to 30 years. No meats and very few veggies or fruits, mostly grains,sugar,salt, powdered milk etc. But that's what I need help with. Once I learn how with their power canners I would like to buy a hand canner for use at home. I'll let you know in advance when they schedule something.
doitright

PostPosted: Saturday 11-24-2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: food Reply with quote

BIGDADDY Lauderdale co has a old cannery but closer to you would be Haywood co and they have a brand new cannery.
Magnolia

PostPosted: Monday 7-29-2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just found this thread and its great reading! especially at 2:30 in the morning!

just my 2 cents worth if anyone is still reading I have two 55 gal plastic drums sitting under the spillway of the roof that collects rainwater. when it stops raining I put lids on them. when we have a chance of rain I go and empty them to refresh the water then the lids go back on.....
I really dont need too much water since we have a water well that can be run off of our generators but I figured since I had the drums I might as well use them....
we also have 10 of the 5 gal plastic bottles that you see in the stores that we keep in the workshop in case of emergencies. I did have to use them last year when the water well housing went on the blink and they came in handy.
we used the water from the 55 gal barrels to bathe in and wash dishes and used the 5 gal jugs for drinking water.....
as for as storing can goods.........the closets make good storage areas in milk crates......HA!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Home Life All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: