www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Great Northern Bean Soup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Soups & Stews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike B

PostPosted: Sunday 10-23-2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Great Northern Bean Soup Reply with quote

Unless you have a lot of briquettes, this recipe should probably be done over a camp stove. It takes 4 hours to make.

1 lb dried great northern beans
1 smoked ham hock
8 cups water
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium carrot, shredded
1/4 cup parsley
1 cup mashed potatoes or 1/3 cup instant potato flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
Parsley or chives for garnish
1 8 quart Dutch oven (12" deep or 14")

Place the beans and enough water to cover in the Dutch oven. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the beans soak for 1 hour. Drain and rinse the beans.

Put the beans back in the Dutch oven, along with the water and the ham hock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours. Skim any fat if necessary.

Add the onion, carrot, parsley, potatoes, salt and pepper, then simmer for 1 hour longer. Remove the meat and bones from the soup.

Remove the meat from the bones, dice it and return to the soup. Heat through. Garnish with parsley or chives.

Tinker

PostPosted: Sunday 10-23-2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I wish I had a bowl of that right now..and a big ol' spoon... mmm mm looks sooo goood.

Tinker.
David Hughes

PostPosted: Sunday 10-23-2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sure does look good Mike B. I have my wood cook stove going now so that will be a good thing to put on there and have for dinner tomorrow. Bean suop always tastes better the next day. Add some home made sour dough rolls and home made butter, what a meal Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Small side salad. Thanks for posting
Dave
IN GOD WE TRUST
bigfoote

PostPosted: Monday 10-24-2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Good its on my to do list!
kwald66

PostPosted: Saturday 1-5-2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am new...... I see this is a year or so old but man it sounds good believe I will cook this tomorrow. Think I will have cornbread to go with it! It's cold and wet here in Louisiana, the past few days, so this will hit the spot! Thanks!!!
Mike B

PostPosted: Monday 1-7-2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwald66 wrote:
Well I am new...... I see this is a year or so old but man it sounds good believe I will cook this tomorrow. Think I will have cornbread to go with it! It's cold and wet here in Louisiana, the past few days, so this will hit the spot! Thanks!!!

You are welcome. I did a variant of this last week - ham and beans. I used a leftover ham bone from Christmas and a pound of pinto beans. This kind of meal hits the spot when it is 11 degrees outside, which it was at the time.

BTW, I had the ham and beans with cornbread, too.

1936 Packard, Carnation, WA
http://blogicalthoughts.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Soups & Stews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: