www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Bury my DO
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIGDADDYBR549

PostPosted: Sunday 9-23-2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story Bigfoot8, I agree about old times being tougher. I hear people talking about stress, but what would be more stressful than not knowing if your child would eat tonite. I've always wanted to begin a sourdough starter, but don't think I have the attention span, plus I don't need that much bread, I'm already on the full figured side. Once saw a story on TV about a family who had brought a starter across the ocean, across America to current day without letting it die. Many generations of daughters had kept it in the same stoneware crock with the same cloth over it and had kept the same batch that was started in the 1700s in Europe. The current daughter didn't want to have anything to do with it cause she was afarid she would be the one to let it die. That's a lot of pressure.
Aggroman
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sunday 9-23-2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story Bigfoote! Thanks for sharing it.
Furseeker

PostPosted: Wednesday 9-26-2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've used a modified version of this method during elk and deer hunting seasons many times. We used a hole in the ground as described above but we used charcoal briquets in the bottom. We didn't use any on top so we would cover the hole with plywood then cover the wood with dirt. Probably cheating but it was a little cleaner. We would start the cooking in the morning and whatever was in the oven was ready when we returned from the evening hunts.
Stanbiker

PostPosted: Sunday 9-30-2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a common method in the logging camps in northern Maine as well. Actually, it is still fairly common for family gatherings to have bean hole beans.

http://www.mofga.org/Default.aspx?tabid=659
DOpig

PostPosted: Saturday 10-6-2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update! I went deer hunting with my two oldest sons and had a great time being with them, however the hunt was unsuccessful. As for my desire to try this new cooking method (new to me) I am sorry to report that it also was unsuccessful. Thankfully my son brought his CampChef camp stove that saved the meal.
I believe that the main problem was the type of wood used. Pine is not a "hard" wood and burned too fast and lost its heat when buried.
Oh well. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Failure is not an option! I'll have to try some of the variations that have been posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: